Comp Coupe

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the turning radius on the Comp Coupe is 60' vs about 40' on the GTS? Is this a typo in the specs or is it for real?

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry, I am willing to venture a guess. The brakes are fed with large air tubes that tend to get pinched at high steering angles. The need for a tighter radius on a racing car is minimal anyway unless "corner exit power on oversteer" is your thing. We spent a good couple hours pawing over the car this week-end at Viper Days Finals. Lookin good.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that Woodhouse cheatin again, getting all those new Viper secrets? LOl....had do it it Bob!!! And he won the race ...better tech his car and see what the new coupe is missing for parts!

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jerry,
Bob hit the nail on the head. The travel on the rack was reduced. I had the opportunity to drive a couple of laps in the Comp Coupe this weekend at the Viper Days finals and you can trust me when I say it takes tight corners nicely.

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, telepathy I guess, parts worked well. So OK without the humor I have to tell you guys, that new coupe is gonna kick some pretty tall "A".
Eric Peterson, the assigned chassis engineer spent the week-end with the car answering all comers questions, and there were plenty. He also is a listener, he gave the racers cars a **** good look and asked a lot of questions himself.
Steve, you would be proud, you led the charge and passed your passion to Tony all these years to encourage the Viper Team to do this and here it is. To quote John Fernandez in the drivers meeting on Sunday. "Gentlemen, this car was built for you. For Viper Days enthusiasts. To run here first, to find other venues as well, but here first." The committment to have car # 25 built by the end of 2002 was made. But!!! Anybody wanting to own one of these unique pieces of what will become history has a good shot at getting one. You do not have to be a racer. You just need some patience. Racers will get built first. Which is the way you want it if you are a collector as what good is it if there is no pedigree. So all of you people just watching from the sidelines, don't be turned away by the thought that they are ungettable. Go to www.vipercompetitioncoupe.com and follow intructions. The potential for this car is to build up to 120 maybe 150.
Some of the not so known really cool stuff: This car has a wind drag Cd of .38. When D/C had to abandon the next generation GTS/R project all of the wonderful wind tunnel work was complete. Guess who now gets to exploit that huge investment for peanuts? This is the shape, this is the car. Eric says some work remains, he will be in England this winter balancing the aero package. He took some measurements off of our present racing splitters, checked over our underbellies and diffusers etc. We may not have a completely closed bottom on this car as the temperature issues have not been worked out. We do have the best darn diffuser on the planet though. The previous GTS/R was required to run a non-curved one. This thing is huge, and curved. As you notice there is not much wing on the car. It became obvious to me after looking at the diffuser they plan on that taking over for the big wing. More efficient at it I would assume.
Body panels are not in their exact final form yet. (Shape will not change of course) Panel join lines and separations for high damage areas are being considered to reduce repair time and cost. The cage will see some changes so a passenger seat can be installed if the owner wishes. Pete Gladys announced at the banquet that they will be coming to the Viper Days events with the car next year to develop and improve things before production. The data they collect from the on-board acquisition system will be made available to all racers. These guys are cool or what.
To get a look at the new engine was a real treat. John told us the heads were near clones of the GTS/R heads. The engine at the power levels offered will be under-stressed to give us all some good engine life before overhaul. The intake manifold reminds you of the 360 ram truck somewhat, in that the bread loaf type of commom area is at the bottom and the runners all swirl up and around to each cylinder, all cast into one piece. The coil pack sits right on top, keeping it accessable and out of harms way. Valve covers are much shallower, the break line has been raised on the cylinder head, good idea. You can see similarities in the thermostat housing and accessories but they have been moved around a bunch to allow the low profile of the intake system to breath through a throttle body about where our present thermostats are laid out. I did not get into the oiling system etc.
The frame is to die for. The present stiffness of our stock Viper frame is about 6000 pounds for 1 degree deflection. That's twice what the C-4 Corvette was. The new convertible frame is around 9000. This car uses the stock frame to build from and they have created something around 19000# stiffness. Now that should do.
To get the nose of the car low not just the engine had to get a re-design but the items forward were reworked as well and the radiator lays down somewhat.
To enter the cockpit will be easier than most of our present race cars as the cage bars are criss crossed allowing a lower step-over. OK, don't laugh, the car has an ash tray and the comment was they had to put it in because otherwise there would have been a cup holder for the driver, Hmmm.
Racing tires to go on this beast are still being researched. The outcome is with Michelin and Hoosier and the slick is to be cost effective, Bruce Foss of Hoosier says under $300 is his goal, we know that present slicks run 400 plus. Bill Pemberton had a suggestion at the bonfire party on Friday night. He thought the tire companies could collaborate on the development. If Hoosier and Michelin did the work, then it would be a Hoos-chillin? if Hoosier and Yokohama, Hoos-yo-mama? and they got worse from there, well you know Bill when there's free wine.
Geez Steve, you asked for a story, I got real wordy, but I am so pleased for the Viper Nation and the race guys about this little project. Oh, one last thing, 3000#s. Yup, the target weight has been lowered. Put your hands together people. Our future is looking really bright. Thanks once again Steve.
<FONT size="3">Text</FONT s>

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, I heard that the intake manifold will be revised from the one which is on the car because they found a design which will create more H.P. I was luckey enough to see (and sit in it somewhat) at the VCA autocross a few weeks earlier.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wife is gonna kill me but I am itchin for Viper # 3.....The comp coupe might just have to go to the top of my christmas wish list. Now how to get her to pay for it?....

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the rest of you Comp Coupe guys are like me, and not so patiently awaiting new information, you'll probably enjoy
re-reading Woodhouse's post below.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Woodhouse:
Mike, telepathy I guess, parts worked well. So OK without the humor I have to tell you guys, that new coupe is gonna kick some pretty tall "A".
Eric Peterson, the assigned chassis engineer spent the week-end with the car answering all comers questions, and there were plenty. He also is a listener, he gave the racers cars a **** good look and asked a lot of questions himself.
Steve, you would be proud, you led the charge and passed your passion to Tony all these years to encourage the Viper Team to do this and here it is. To quote John Fernandez in the drivers meeting on Sunday. "Gentlemen, this car was built for you. For Viper Days enthusiasts. To run here first, to find other venues as well, but here first." The committment to have car # 25 built by the end of 2002 was made. But!!! Anybody wanting to own one of these unique pieces of what will become history has a good shot at getting one. You do not have to be a racer. You just need some patience. Racers will get built first. Which is the way you want it if you are a collector as what good is it if there is no pedigree. So all of you people just watching from the sidelines, don't be turned away by the thought that they are ungettable. Go to www.vipercompetitioncoupe.com and follow intructions. The potential for this car is to build up to 120 maybe 150.
Some of the not so known really cool stuff: This car has a wind drag Cd of .38. When D/C had to abandon the next generation GTS/R project all of the wonderful wind tunnel work was complete. Guess who now gets to exploit that huge investment for peanuts? This is the shape, this is the car. Eric says some work remains, he will be in England this winter balancing the aero package. He took some measurements off of our present racing splitters, checked over our underbellies and diffusers etc. We may not have a completely closed bottom on this car as the temperature issues have not been worked out. We do have the best darn diffuser on the planet though. The previous GTS/R was required to run a non-curved one. This thing is huge, and curved. As you notice there is not much wing on the car. It became obvious to me after looking at the diffuser they plan on that taking over for the big wing. More efficient at it I would assume.
Body panels are not in their exact final form yet. (Shape will not change of course) Panel join lines and separations for high damage areas are being considered to reduce repair time and cost. The cage will see some changes so a passenger seat can be installed if the owner wishes. Pete Gladys announced at the banquet that they will be coming to the Viper Days events with the car next year to develop and improve things before production. The data they collect from the on-board acquisition system will be made available to all racers. These guys are cool or what.
To get a look at the new engine was a real treat. John told us the heads were near clones of the GTS/R heads. The engine at the power levels offered will be under-stressed to give us all some good engine life before overhaul. The intake manifold reminds you of the 360 ram truck somewhat, in that the bread loaf type of commom area is at the bottom and the runners all swirl up and around to each cylinder, all cast into one piece. The coil pack sits right on top, keeping it accessable and out of harms way. Valve covers are much shallower, the break line has been raised on the cylinder head, good idea. You can see similarities in the thermostat housing and accessories but they have been moved around a bunch to allow the low profile of the intake system to breath through a throttle body about where our present thermostats are laid out. I did not get into the oiling system etc.
The frame is to die for. The present stiffness of our stock Viper frame is about 6000 pounds for 1 degree deflection. That's twice what the C-4 Corvette was. The new convertible frame is around 9000. This car uses the stock frame to build from and they have created something around 19000# stiffness. Now that should do.
To get the nose of the car low not just the engine had to get a re-design but the items forward were reworked as well and the radiator lays down somewhat.
To enter the cockpit will be easier than most of our present race cars as the cage bars are criss crossed allowing a lower step-over. OK, don't laugh, the car has an ash tray and the comment was they had to put it in because otherwise there would have been a cup holder for the driver, Hmmm.
Racing tires to go on this beast are still being researched. The outcome is with Michelin and Hoosier and the slick is to be cost effective, Bruce Foss of Hoosier says under $300 is his goal, we know that present slicks run 400 plus. Bill Pemberton had a suggestion at the bonfire party on Friday night. He thought the tire companies could collaborate on the development. If Hoosier and Michelin did the work, then it would be a Hoos-chillin? if Hoosier and Yokohama, Hoos-yo-mama? and they got worse from there, well you know Bill when there's free wine.
Geez Steve, you asked for a story, I got real wordy, but I am so pleased for the Viper Nation and the race guys about this little project. Oh, one last thing, 3000#s. Yup, the target weight has been lowered. Put your hands together people. Our future is looking really bright. Thanks once again Steve.
<FONT size="3">Text</FONT s>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang