Crankshaft pulley came off .

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today my crankshaft pulley came off. I was able to get it home as it overheated. Saw the pulley stuck inside the engine compartment. All bolts are there that I could see. I do not have warranty.
1) How much needs to be taken apart before I can get to the pulley and put it back on? At least the radiator.
2) If this happened to anybody else, how much did it cost to repair with Vipertech or other repair shop?
3) How easy is it to get new serpentine belt and how much?
Thanks

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call DLM if you need new or used parts. I think they have everything you need.

-lou

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to hear this steve! i am beginning to think that this is a common problem since there has been a number of posts about this exact same thing.

in order to get the supercharger on last week, we had to take mine off of course. we were a bit suprised to find it tight, but the threads had no loctite on them at all and seemed to come off relatively easily.

you can do it yourself if you have the time, the right tools and some patience. it might be worth paying someone to do it for you this time. i know you are a busy guy. good luck.

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're good at wrenching at all, it's a breeze to get to the pulleys. I just did it in an attempt to remove my radiator.

1. Remove the tubes from the throttle bodies - get a pair of channel locks and open the black hose-clamps way up. They should lock in the open position, then use a flathead screwdriver to push them off the throttle bodies.

2. Using the channel locks, push back the hose-clamps and remove the other hoses from the airbox.

3. Lift the airbox off, and you should have easy access to the front of the engine.

I don't think I missed anything... (scratching head)

OP
OP
VENOMAHOLIC

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will attempt next weekend. Need to get universal puller, socket, and thread lock to get damper and pulley back on. Air box removal was the easy part. Still is a tight fit. I have service manual.

1) Will I have to take crank pulley off the vibration damper to screw it to crankshaft or can I get both back on together like they came off?

2) Should I use threadlock or will just torquing it back to 250 ft lbs without it work?

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< 2) Should I use threadlock or will just torquing it back to 250 ft lbs without it work? >>

threadlock for sure. if i remember right, the manual says to threadlock it, but i sure didnt see any. with all the problems we read about concerning this item, i felt i had no other choice but to threadlock mine.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a very common problem. I have emailed our local club members to check theirs. Two were found loose after my email went out.

You need to carefully inspect your crankshaft for damage. Some of the cranks get "chewed up" as the pulley comes off. This then becomes an expensive repair.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plus, you have to be missing the bolt. The one that originally held the pulley on. You don't need any speacial tools to do this. Just tap the pully back on w/ a rubber hammer and tighten the big bolt to spec.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How long did you drive it with the this off? Do you mean harmonic balancer when your saying crankshaft pully?

Arrow rebuilt my motor under warrenty when my harmonic balancer came off.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Happened to my 01 at 16K
Needed complete rebuild.
Every cloud has a silver lining, goodies were added during rebuild

OP
OP
VENOMAHOLIC

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only drove for 15 min without belt on back home with heat blasting because I thought it was just a belt breaking. Stop and go mostly. I was lucky I was at low RPM when it happened or it could have been catastrophic.
Crank seems undamaged but serpentine belt got stripped on one side. The bolt actually stayed in the harmonic balancer and pulley. I overheated but made it before any blowout in coolant. Rebuild seems extreme in my case.

I have a mechanic who works on foreign and exotics that I know through work who will come to help me at my garage on Saturday. Thanks for all info. I will update.

By any chance, does anybody have a part number for a serpentine belt since a local parts store could not find it to order it? Thanks in advance.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the roe pin kit to put on afterwards...same thing happened to me and I did the install myself...