Crash

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have had my gts for about 2 weeks now and put almost 1000m on it. I have pushed quite a bit from a roll, threw 1, 2, 3, 4th. I only hammer it when I have lots of road and I am going in a straight line. I have been giving the car allot of respect and have not pushed hard around corners or even twisties. I want to, but I have heard it gives no indication of when it will break loose and there is no getting it back if it does, is this true? Also, I have heard stories of the rear end breaking loose even while going straight, can this happen? I have fish tailed a bit all threw 1st and 2nd, has that hover craft feeling, but I can't imagine completely loosing control if your keeping straight. I know one guy who was on the highway and said he wrote his car off by hitting the gas too hard, causing him to spin out.

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
500 mi/wk, now that is somebody having FUN ! It's been a good 2 weeks, huh ?

Yes Sir, fun indeed! I don't expect to keep putting that kind of mileage on it, but I just can't help it right now, I need to come home from work and drive it every day . :D It only had 2100m when I picked it up, so it's ok.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have had my gts for about 2 weeks now and put almost 1000m on it. I have pushed quite a bit from a roll, threw 1, 2, 3, 4th. I only hammer it when I have lots of road and I am going in a straight line. I have been giving the car allot of respect and have not pushed hard around corners or even twisties. I want to, but I have heard it gives no indication of when it will break loose and there is no getting it back if it does, is this true? Also, I have heard stories of the rear end breaking loose even while going straight, can this happen? I have fish tailed a bit all threw 1st and 2nd, has that hover craft feeling, but I can't imagine completely loosing control if your keeping straight. I know one guy who was on the highway and said he wrote his car off by hitting the gas too hard, causing him to spin out.

Inferno,

While you need to respect the cars capabilities and power, the stories are mostly the result of people completly not ready for the experience. Take a person whose fastest car prior to owning a viper was a BMW add 500lb's torque to that equation and the result is a curb jumping experience.

The Viper is a very capable car and it is very good at laying the power down to the ground. Have fun, and if you are still concerned take a driving class that uses vipers so that you learn how to manage it in the turns properly. In the straights it really is kinda slow nothing to concern your self about.

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well,

I managed three full circles before ending up in the high-speed lane of the highway in the wrong direction. This after going through first and second hard, then lost her when going into third under normal pedal. I ended up nailing her to flip her around and got up to speed before the traffic could touch me. It's not fun to keep seeing the guard rails come so close at every turn. I'm just lucky that the rails kept their distance.
Moral of this story: It's not always the pedal that will get you. With the Viper's torque, all it takes is a little slickness in the road for her to take you for a ride.
Still, make sure to enjoy her, with a little respect for good measure.

Paul
:2tu:

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well,

I managed three full circles before ending up in the high-speed lane of the highway in the wrong direction. This after going through first and second hard, then lost her when going into third under normal pedal. I ended up nailing her to flip her around and got up to speed before the traffic could touch me. It's not fun to keep seeing the guard rails come so close at every turn. I'm just lucky that the rails kept their distance.
Moral of this story: It's not always the pedal that will get you. With the Viper's torque, all it takes is a little slickness in the road for her to take you for a ride.
Still, make sure to enjoy her, with a little respect for good measure.

Paul
:2tu:

What do you figure happened? Did you hit an oil slick, sand, or was it ice?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What do you figure happened? Did you hit an oil slick, sand, or was it ice?

A wet spot or road imperfection can cause it too. I remember one of our friends in Europe losing it on a busy highway in rain just by switching lanes - no showing off involved.

The one time it caught me I dropped the clutch and let the rear wheels roll freely. This caused the car to go sideways for a bit then track itself back drift-style. You have about a full second before the rear has pulled out beyond recovery - if you're lucky enough to feel it your okay, if not you're along for the ride.

How's the saying go? - a good defense makes your best offense? Mind the road conditions immediately ahead of your car and understand the torque your sitting on and you'll never have to worry about the Snake-Bite.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32