Custom 3" Gen 1 Exhaust and Tips (pics)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Custom 3\" Gen 1 Exhaust and Tips (pics)

Thanks to all that have posted about their exhausts. I have been working on this project for about 2 months and am VERY happy with the results. So why build my own? First, as I have an early '93 Viper (identical to the '92) the stock exhaust from Partsrack or Roe would not just bolt up and would have required modification. Second, after reading about the Borla and Belanger drone issues, I wanted to try to build something that would hopefully eliminate the drone. Third - I really love the look of angled, double wall tips. Everything was welded together, except the turnout after the Borla to the tip so I could adjust the angle. I used stainless throughout - except the Moroso muffler.

While I am happy with the results - it really became a PIA - especially trying to get the tip to be exactly perfect with the side sill. Did I save any money? Maybe, but the time I invested doing, researching, and ordering may not have been worth it. My total investment ~ $1200 for everything. Probably visited about 200 web sites, placed about 10 different online orders, and went to the hardware store for pieces and parts about 15 times.

My solution - a complete 3" system from the manifold back using parts purchased from Jegs, Summit, and Ebay. Dynatech Powercat High Flow Cats, Moroso Spiral Flow Mufflers (to eliminate the Drone), Borla XR 1 Sportsman Round Mufflers, and Bullet exhaust tips are at the heart of the system. The Bullet exhaust tip available from Skip White required a HUGE amount of modification to fit and line up. The Moroso definitely takes some of the "edge" off the Borla with the high flow cats, but it is definitely NOT quiet. At highway speeds with the top on and Vmania windows - a cell phone conversation is possible - but not easy as the person you are talking to will still hear the mighty V10. I may try to see if I can upload a sound bite as it sounds NICE!

Finished Look:
5122exhaust_tip_wheel_1-med.JPG

Pieces/Parts :
5122exhaust_parts-med.JPG

Side by side:
5122assembled_exhaust-med.JPG

Close Up:
5122exhaust_tip_close_up-med.JPG

A few more pics in my gallery if interested.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Custom 3

I never realized the stock SRT did not have a flex joint in it. The exhaust looks good.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I never realized the stock SRT did not have a flex joint in it. The exhaust looks good.

must be because of 93 model,, my 94 has ,(ahem), had flex pipes. :D

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Custom 3\" Gen 1 Exhaust and Tips (pics)

Looks great! :laugh: Must have been a lot time to get where you wanted to be. Wow those cats look small (short).

Since you are now the new GENI exhaust expert, any thoughts on cat + 2 Spiral Flow Mufflers instead of the Borla?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks awesome! If you want us to host a sound clip, just e-mail it to me and I will throw it on the Kansas City server for you. Now to get you to work on some SRT exhausts... :2tu:

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Rocket62 - Great looking system! :2tu:

1) Where did you buy your 3" (id) Flex Pipes from? How much were they?

2) Did you dyno, prior to & post exhaust swap? If so, how much did you gain?

3) Did you achieve any temp reduction in your side sills and foot wells?

++++++++++++++++++++++

I am looking to do something different, as the Roe 3" side exhaust setup (HiFlow Cats and Borla's) is just too dayum loud. (And I like loud!) I want to keep the free'er flowing exhaust with cooler sill temps, but I do not want to feel the need to carry ear plugs (mostly for my passenger(s)).

Any ideas from your experimentation?

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Thanks for the compliments as it was a fun project overall.

Since you are now the new GENI exhaust expert, any thoughts on cat + 2 Spiral Flow Mufflers instead of the Borla?

Thats actually a very good question as I did try the exhaust with just the Moroso and to be quite honest, the Borla only made it slightly quieter. The sound with the Borla was a bit deeper and throatier though.

1) Where did you buy your 3" (id) Flex Pipes from? How much were they?

2) Did you dyno, prior to & post exhaust swap? If so, how much did you gain?

3) Did you achieve any temp reduction in your side sills and foot wells?

++++++++++++++++++++++

I am looking to do something different, as the Roe 3" side exhaust setup (HiFlow Cats and Borla's) is just too dayum loud. (And I like loud!) I want to keep the free'er flowing exhaust with cooler sill temps, but I do not want to feel the need to carry ear plugs (mostly for my passenger(s)).

Any ideas from your experimentation?
1) Picked up the flex pipes on Ebay 3x8 Flex Pipe
They had to special order the 3"x6" Flex Pipe for me as 8" is too long. Also, if you do special order - order the "Without *******" kind as it will be easier to assemble.
2) No dyno prior to, but I do plan to do it soon. Seat of the pants feel is much different. Definitely seems to rev up faster as a few weeks ago in some "Spirited Private Track Tests" I accidently hit the rev limiter in 2nd, and was amazed at how quickly 150mph can be reached now.
3) Side sills are MUCH, MUCH cooler. Feet don't heat up now either.
4) My system is still fairly loud - but not bleeding ear loud. You can (barely) carry on a cell phone conversation, but the person will know you're calling from your Viper. I will try to see if I can post an audio file over the weekend. You might be able to add another muffler/resonator to your roe to quiet it down - which is esentially what the Moroso Spiral Flow muffler does for me. It definitely takes the edge off of the Borla - but still keeps the deep, aggressive tone.

Good luck!

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is great looking, Rocket.

I also have an early 93 and have wanted to do this for some time.

Do you have any close ups of the tip modification and and how you re-hung your system to the spring hangers? l

Thanks.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The early cars had no flex pipe. I have a very similar 2.5" system on my car. Random tech Cats, Magnaflo straight through Mufflers, Aero Turbine Resonators. The system may get louder over the next month or season. Perfect sound without a top on.

Looks great, good luck.

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

That is great looking, Rocket.

I also have an early 93 and have wanted to do this for some time.

Do you have any close ups of the tip modification and and how you re-hung your system to the spring hangers? l

Thanks.

One of the key components to doing this was to eliminate the squeeky spring hangers. There actually is a description of the "Spring Hanger Fix" in the How-To section here on the VCA. Some how or another, I actually found one of the kits to get rid of the springs on Ebay for about $80. You may be able to check with Tator to see if he still has one of the kits available.

The tip modification and rear hanger were a real pain to get correct. I used parts from the kit and tied it into a band clamp. I also had to fabricate a part to attach to the rear lower hanger using a piece of 1"x1/8"x9" steel. I thought I saved a few close-up pics of the tips and hanger - but I can't seem to locate them. I'll search some more later this weekend. Modifying the exhaust tip was a HUGE PIA - especially since the stock rear exhaust mount gets in the way. I probably spent more time working on the tip than I did putting together the entire exhaust. The stock tip is about 8 inches long and too long to fit in the side exhaust. I had to really cut it down and spend alot of time fitting, measuring, and modifying to get it to finally match up with the side sill.

You won't be disappointed if/when you change your exhaust as it really reduces the cabin heat and the sound is a lot sweeter. Let me know if I can help in any way. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang