Dead alarm keyfob?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My alarm keyfob seems to have died. It wont arm the alarm nor do I hear the "click" from inside the car anymore when i press the unlock button. I did a search on here and saw the instructions to hold both lock and unlock buttons for 20 seconds, but that didnt work. I looked in my glovebox and didnt see any reset switch or anything. Anyone have any other suggestions? If it still wont work tomorrow, I'll go to RadioShack and buy a new battery and hope thats the problem.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to Radio Shack and they tested my batteries and said they were fine. All the contact points looked good and clean, so looks like the remote might be completely dead. Anyone out there got any suggestions or a remote for sale for a 96' RT/10? I looked on Ebay but didnt see any

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got extra remotes from ebay around $19.95 with free shipping. Then go to "how to reprogram your new remote" on the thread here. Or you can go to your local dealer and they will charge you $50 plus programing. Good luck.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a remote checker when I got to work and the remote is putting out a real good signal, and I still cant get it to reprogram or do anything, so im afraid something has gone out in the car instead of a bad remote. Is there a fuse or anything I can check? It seems like (but not 100% sure) that the alarm went off Saturday afternoon when i opened the door and I shut it off by hitting the unlock button on the remote like normal with no problems. Ever since then, its been dead.

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem on my 01 RT/10. I have tried everything, even unplugging and replugging the EEC Unit under the drivers side dash. Still completely dead. I ordered a new one from the dealer. Going by tomorrow to pick it up and have them reprogram it. Let me know if you find another fix...

My battery tested fine at radio shack also.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here's the thing. Someone had mentioned that it could possibly be signal interferance from a TV source. I would have to agree. There are some places where I park and have absolutely no response from my remote even with it touching the Viper, while other places work fine 20-40 yards away through a wall or two.

I find that if my remote seems like it's dead... try sitting inside the car and arming it. If it works, most likely it's interfereance. Then, like me, you'll have to resort to leaving the window open about an inch or so enough to fit the remote through and a finger to press the arm button.

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a new key and FOB today from the dealer. They came out, hooked some sort of computerized monitor like aparatus to the OBDI plug, turned the ignition forward, went into that computer, accessed the alarm entry, and set it to accept/re-program mode. Then they reprogrammed both key fobs and it worked fine.

They did not charge me for this because I had purchased a 2nd FOB and key (actually the shipping company did that lost them when they moved my car). Seems to be working fine now.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, just to maybe save someone some time if anyone else ever has this problem, instead of being like me and assuming the worst, CHECK THE FUSE...LOL. i also found out my OBD2 connector was dead when i went to test my new Roe scanner. I called Sean and he told me to check the fuse and yep, same fuse powers the OBD2 connector, car alarm and a couple other things. Replaced fuse, problem solved. Also, be sure to read my other post about how the 96' RT/10 owners manual has a typo in the fuse block listing that can save some headaches

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson