Dead Battery, Got new one, now fuel pump won't go on and can not start '02

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dead Battery, Got new one, now fuel pump won\'t go on and can not start \'02

Battery was dead for a long time, 3 mo. I did not drive it. Then one mo ago I got a jump and it started right up. I drove it for 30 min on freeway and took it home. When I go back, I tried to restart it; no luck. The all electrical equipment would not come on. Obviously the car didn't even crank over. No lights no nothing. So last week I bought a new battery and now all electrical works, EXCEPT, the fuel pump does not come on! So car cranks over but does not start.
It is a 2002 Final Edition GTS.
I am not sure how to reset the alarm via the glove box thing. I just stuck the key in and turned the key all the way left and right.

Why doesn't the engine fire up???
Or more acurately, why doesn't the fuel pump come on?

Am I clearing the alarm properly? (just turn the key in the glovebox?) Is there a specific sequence when doing this?

How do I check fuel pump selenoid and fuel pump fuse?
Why would fuel pump problems occur just because I changed out the battery?

Please help and advise.
Thanks.
:confused:

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dead Battery, Got new one, now fuel pump won\'t go on and can not start

Basically the same thing happened to me when I installed a new battery in my 99. Mine was the fuel pump relay. In my car it was in the back on the drivers side where the stereo amp is. The fuel pump fuse is also there. When you turn your key you should hear the fuel pump come on for a couple of seconds. If you don't it could be the relay or fuse. Another thing you could try is to disconnect the pcm for a half hour and see if that does anything

Gary

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Dead Battery, Got new one, now fuel pump won\'t go on and can not start \'02

So On a 2002 gts is the fuel pump relay and fuse behind the driver's seat too?
What do they look like? What am I looking for?
How do I determine if the fuel pump relay is good or bad?
Thanks

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

could be the alarm system. open the glove box, insert key inside (look on the top of the inside of the glove box) and turn key. All the way to the right.

it may beep 3 times...

it may not.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Im not sure where the relay is on a 2002. Maybe someone can chime in and help you. I didn't test mine, I just bought a new one from dodge. It was ony $22.
Gary

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Relay should be in the rear storage area (under the glass hatch) on the left side.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like fuel shutoff due to the alarm being activated. Does it sound like the engine cranks, starts and dies immediately? That's fuel shutoff due to the alarm. Follow alarm reset procedures from your manual.

My 97 has a manual reset procedure because there is no key option in the glove box. Procedure is as follows:
1. Put key in ignition and turn OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC. That's 4 times.
2.Open and close each of the doors, hatch and hood. Each action will be acknowledged with a beep.
3. Press both buttons on the key fob. It will be acknowledged with 2 beeps.

That's it. Best of luck.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try this:
1) Make sure hood is closed all the way.
2) Reset the alarm using your key and the alarm reset in the glove box.
3) Press down both buttons on your fob, and hold (maybe up to 10 seconds) until you hear the horn beep).
4) Try to start.