Dealer just confirmed 20k markup

GenVer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just contacted my local dealership to confirm they were an authorized SRT dealership. I was told yes, they have an allocation of 2 and I could put down a deposit to reserve one of them. The he said, "Hope it won't be a problem but due to high demand they will be selling at 20k over sticker". I had high hopes of purchasing a new Viper but the dealer markup ensures that won't happen any time soon. :rolleyes:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate this aspect car buying. Simply runaway greed. But it wouldnt happen if it weren't for the few that WILL actually pay way over sticker just so they can be the first etc. I guess these dealerships are just mining peoples greed. I hope no one buys one from them at that price gouge though.

OP
OP
G

GenVer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, guess Tomball isn't that far away... Just have fears local dealer may take issue with me buying elsewhere and wanting to service here.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$20k sure will pay for most of that licensing fee. That is highway robbery. Buy from Woodhouse or another reputable vender. You could have it shipped to you for a couple grand and save $18K.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Then maybe just sell your Z06 on ebay because I wouldn't buy from that dealer.

Yes, and you'll get waaaaaaaayyy more for the Z06 by selling it yourself. Sell the Z first and then order your dream car. How much are you looking to get for it? Year and miles?

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just traded my 2009 Z06 at Viper Exchange. Bernie gave me a resonable deal for the trade in. Less than retail but when you consider the tax break and the hassle it was a wash. So, maybe I lost $1,000 if I had sold it myself.

Manatee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just traded my 2009 Z06 at Viper Exchange. Bernie gave me a resonable deal for the trade in. Less than retail but when you consider the tax break and the hassle it was a wash. So, maybe I lost $1,000 if I had sold it myself.

Did you have to ship the Z06 to Bernie before he could give you an offer? Did the offer take into account to cost to ship?

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am no fan of dealers pricing over MSRP but at the end of the day they will sell their product for as much as they can.....would anyone here sell something for less than market value?....92's when first realeased sold for 70-80k....96 coupes same thing, early 03's same thing. try and buy a 2013 GT-500 and see if you can buy one for sticker ; rule of thumb is if you want the first one one the block you will have to pay up.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering a loaded up GTS with a $20k dealer mark up puts me in the same price zone as a low mileage Ford GT.....decisions, decisions :D

Have the big dealers (Woodhouse, Tomball, etc) confirmed that they will not be adding any dealer mark up for the first available units?

Honestly guys, do you really think that if the new Viper turns into a hot commodity, that there won't be at least an attempt at dealer markup? Supply and demand, it's the American way....nobody has the right to tell a private business what to sell something for. We as consumers have the right to buy at another dealer or another brand altogether if it's that much of an issue. A lot of people will pay a markup to be the first guy on the block with a new model. I'm not wired that way, but many are.

George

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, guess Tomball isn't that far away... Just have fears local dealer may take issue with me buying elsewhere and wanting to service here.

I don't see SRT making much of a deal over the markup - but I do see SRT making an issue over SRT dealers giving you a hard time over taking your SRT Viper to the authorized SRT Viper dealer for service.

That is one thing I wouldn't worry over.

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you laugh at him and hang up? What a joke. There are plenty of idiots that will do it though, as if having one of the first ones out means anything.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supply and demand pure and simple. If they can get that much, more power to 'em. I wonder if they will still have the same cars in a few years. ;)

OP
OP
G

GenVer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you laugh at him and hang up? What a joke. There are plenty of idiots that will do it though, as if having one of the first ones out means anything.

He told me SRT informed them that the production was set at 1500 units which was less than anticipated demand. I told him I was not interested in paying 20k over but he was free to contact me again when he was comfortable selling at sticker.

OP
OP
G

GenVer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much are you looking to get for it? Year and miles?

I have a 2011 3LZ Z06 with the Carbon Fiber Package and the Ultimate Performance Package (Z07). I have also had custom paint work done on it to mimic the Z06x track car. Here are a couple pictures It has been my daily driver since I purchased it a little over a year ago so I have about 23k miles on it. It stickered at 99k and I'm looking to get 75k for it if i sell it private party.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea check with one of the site supporting vendors here and see what they can do for you. While it ***** that they are marking up 20K it is their right/choice to do so. Let them be the ones sitting on the car thats marked up while you drive your new GEN V in for service and say "Look what I got...for MSRP." :)

Last edited:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea check with one of the site supporting vendors here and see what they can do for you. While it ***** that they are marking up 20K it is their right/choice to do so. Let them be the ones sitting on the car thats marked up while you drive your nee GEN V in for service and say "Look what I got...for MSRP." :)
Please do that and post about what happens. I think that is an awesome idea.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2011 3LZ Z06 with the Carbon Fiber Package and the Ultimate Performance Package (Z07). I have also had custom paint work done on it to mimic the Z06x track car. Here are a couple pictures It has been my daily driver since I purchased it a little over a year ago so I have about 23k miles on it. It stickered at 99k and I'm looking to get 75k for it if i sell it private party.

Touche, you're looking to get $20K plus above wholesale on your vette. Tomball will give you a good deal on a Gen V and their a 4 hour drive away if you need to trade your car. Call Bernie, he'll give you a price for your vette, I think they have a dealership in the Dallas area that can verify condition for him. GLWS

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They'll either remove the mark up for it not selling, which given how common it is for people to end up on a forum like this before buying, is highly possible. Or, someone will stupidly pay it and they'll keep doing it.

I agree with sapphirebob. Show them lost revenue....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where's PatentLaw on this issue?
He (and others) says everyone should support their local dealers regardless and not buy from an out of state dealer.
And you have no one but yourself to blame when your local dealer can't service a Viper.

So **** it up boys and pay the extra 20K so your local dealer can rip off more people...:rolleyes:

Manatee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some dealers put a high markup on a car they do not intend to sell. It stays in the dealership to draw customers in to just look at it, and hopefully get them to purchase something.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering a loaded up GTS with a $20k dealer mark up puts me in the same price zone as a low mileage Ford GT.....decisions, decisions :D

Have the big dealers (Woodhouse, Tomball, etc) confirmed that they will not be adding any dealer mark up for the first available units?

Honestly guys, do you really think that if the new Viper turns into a hot commodity, that there won't be at least an attempt at dealer markup? Supply and demand, it's the American way....nobody has the right to tell a private business what to sell something for. We as consumers have the right to buy at another dealer or another brand altogether if it's that much of an issue. A lot of people will pay a markup to be the first guy on the block with a new model. I'm not wired that way, but many are.

George

Exactly.....Just don't buy from that dealer. I'd never purchase from a dealer who charges a markup.

OP
OP
G

GenVer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Touche, you're looking to get $20K plus above wholesale on your vette.

Actually, I'm only asking fair market value. If I were trading to a dealership I would only expect 66K. I know there is no way to recover the 5k plus I've invested in mods...

You must be registered for see images attach

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can throw that right out the window.
They might offer 60K, but I doubt it. Used Vettes are everywhere.
Call up Bernie and report back.