Dealer just confirmed 20k markup

OP
OP
G

GenVer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just spoke with Bernie, he said Tomball will in fact be selling at MSRP. Even if things end up not working out with my vette sale/trade, I'm sure this will be welcome news for all.

Tomball Dodge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick it was great speaking with you this morning! We will gladly sell you a car for MSRP and work with you on your trade. Thanks again for the call.

Last edited:

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice looking Vette. Obviously trying to sell it to a private party should yield more money. I would try to post it on the vette forums and on EBAY with floor.
Trading it in is obviously the easy route but negotiations will always be tough as they know you are well off (you are buying a six figure vehicle), you want a new toy and they will give you so many reasons why they can't offer you wholesale value.
I would not hesitate to let Ralph know what that dealer is doing.
Good luck with sale

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True dealers can charge what they want as this is a free country (I don't agree with dealer **** stickers), but if they do, that should be dialed into the dealership evaluate from SRT. They want to sell for above MSRP, that is their choice BUT that should absolutely limit their future ability to gain access to the cars they can bring in new. How does them charging well over MRSP help the local owners with the situation prior for sales, service and support? It doesn't! Only SRT can fix this by saying okay you want to play this game with owners in overcharging them, it's your choice but to do so will limit your ability to get the cars later on. How else is it going to get fixed in a free market society? It is the beginning of supply and demand.

A dealership that sells two cars a year but has a strong and respectful maintenance department that works on all year Vipers and has a number of Vipers running through it consistently is a better situation for owners that a shady, slimy dealership that sells 6 cars a year with poor service and the run around with regards to resolving issues, knowledge of the Vipers and lot monkeys with lead feet.

So far and with some of the dealerships mentioned for SRT status, I am truly failing to see where the SRT Dealer Analysis is anything beyond gathering the franchise fee and making the "appearance" of an SRT look dealership. Yes there is mechanic training, BUT everyone knows the shop foreman and maintenance manager make the decisions. Just having fully trained mechanics is only part of the solution. It is disappointing as it sure comes across as same ole, same ole.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A dealership that sells two cars a year but has a strong and respectful maintenance department that works on all year Vipers and has a number of Vipers running through it consistently is a better situation for owners.

Sounds great. Doesn't exist.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope these SRT dealers chose wisely how they operate. After the initial hype there WILL BE Vipers sitting on dealer lots. Hope their greed today doesnt come back to bite them in the asp later on.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how does that clown allready know the car is in high demand???? does he have a crystle ball????

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what you do: Call up your dealer and tell him that he can sell you one for msrp, or you'll get one from another dealer. Tell him you'll go to whomever sold you the car for service and any future purchases. If he doesn't give you the car for MSRP, do what you say you would do... there's s video somewhere about using game theory to get the best price on your car

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People that know me, know that if you help me, or if I believe in you, I'll tirelessly promote you for as long as your around. My feeling is...........it's hard enough to find honest good people. With that in mind, it's best for everyone, including myself to keep you employed. On the flip side, if you screw me, I will never and I mean never stop letting people know you shouldn't get their business. That's business. I also know that in small niche markets like the Viper, some business's feel like they own the field and can disrespect customers, but Karma has it's way of taking care of those situations as well...................

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, this may start an "aries bashing", but oh well. I know it seems like price gouging and what not, but when these same dealers had leftover Vipers they were selling at cost or below, not to mention they have to pay floor plan interest on these cars and I'm sure many of them lost money just to get rid of old inventory, did any of you offer to pay more than what they were asking? Do I agree with it? No. However, I'm not going to call them "greedy" or "scammers" or anything of the sort. They are simply selling a product for the most money they can. Also, someone mentioned buying a Ford GT instead earleir on this thread. Are you guys upset that people are now selling USED Ford Gt's for $100,000 more than original MSRP? Are those people "greedy"? Have any of you sold a house for more than you purchased it for? I guess you're "greedy" too. Bottom line is, this is capitalism, stuff sells for market value. If they want to ask 20k over MSRP so be it. Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its called supply and demand.. get over it. if you want a better deal, call around, someones always willing to deal.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just realized something. You're upset that the dealership is charging 20k over MSRP. Yet YOU are asking 19k over KBB value and 14k over NADA value for your Vette. Kinda hypocritical don't ya think???

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, this may start an "aries bashing", but oh well. I know it seems like price gouging and what not, but when these same dealers had leftover Vipers they were selling at cost or below, not to mention they have to pay floor plan interest on these cars and I'm sure many of them lost money just to get rid of old inventory, did any of you offer to pay more than what they were asking? Do I agree with it? No. However, I'm not going to call them "greedy" or "scammers" or anything of the sort. They are simply selling a product for the most money they can. Also, someone mentioned buying a Ford GT instead earleir on this thread. Are you guys upset that people are now selling USED Ford Gt's for $100,000 more than original MSRP? Are those people "greedy"? Have any of you sold a house for more than you purchased it for? I guess you're "greedy" too. Bottom line is, this is capitalism, stuff sells for market value. If they want to ask 20k over MSRP so be it. Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Precisely. Don't like it don't buy it.
Half the guys here are full of crap anyway they have no intention of buying a new one.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When our local Chevy dealer got their fisrt new Camaro a couple years ago, they had it marked up something crazy like $5000 above MSRP. It might have even been the V6. I thought they were insane- a $5000 markup on what's essentially a rental car?

The car sold in less than a week.

I guess there is always someone willing to pay a premium to the the fist in the neighborhood to have a new cool car.

I love being in a capitalist country. I have the freedom to over pay and have it first, or shop around and get it cheap.

~Jay

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just realized something. You're upset that the dealership is charging 20k over MSRP. Yet YOU are asking 19k over KBB value and 14k over NADA value for your Vette. Kinda hypocritical don't ya think???

LOL

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
G

GenVer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:rolleyes: I already responded to that accusation. See post 29. This isn't a standard Z06; it has every option with MSRP $99,000.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the difference between a dealership that puts an additional dealer markup on the window, and then negotiates down to MSRP and a dealer that offers to sell at MSRP but is firm on the price?

Believe this technique has been going on since "Honest Romulus" was selling the new and improved 1013 Chariot. : >)

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolleyes: I already responded to that accusation. See post 29. This isn't a standard Z06; it has every option with MSRP $99,000.

Roll your eyes all you want, I selected every option that KBB and NADA had for the Z06 and those were the figures that they came up with.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roll your eyes all you want, I selected every option that KBB and NADA had for the Z06 and those were the figures that they came up with.

dealers don't care what nada or kbb have to say. they want to give you wholesale or lower especially for a car they aren't sure they can move quickly. after 90 days those cars start to really hurt their bottom line. kbb shows you want you to see. what a dealer or set of dealers give you is the true market. go talk to a couple of others and see if you can do better.

Talk to carmax if you have one local. they will just buy the car straight off you. My guess is auction price is a lot lower then what kbb and nada are giving you and the dealer only wants to pay what he knows he can move the car for, if for some reason he can't sell it retail.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dealers don't care what nada or kbb have to say. they want to give you wholesale or lower especially for a car they aren't sure they can move quickly. after 90 days those cars start to really hurt their bottom line. kbb shows you want you to see. what a dealer or set of dealers give you is the true market. go talk to a couple of others and see if you can do better.

Talk to carmax if you have one local. they will just buy the car straight off you. My guess is auction price is a lot lower then what kbb and nada are giving you and the dealer only wants to pay what he knows he can move the car for, if for some reason he can't sell it retail.

Exactly, he said in an earlier post he would sell it to a private party for 75K, well over what KBB or NADA say they are worth, and those numbers are usually high as you indicated. I just find it funny he's so mad at a dealership "screwing" him, when all the while he's trying to do the same thing.

OP
OP
G

GenVer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look aries, there is no need to be antagonistic. If you read through the thread you will notice I never said anything negative about the dealership selling for over MSRP; only that it meant I had to wait until I could get it for sticker. As to your comments about KBB and NADA values... I have found that they are slow to add all original manufacturer options to their search pages so stopped checking there a long time ago. I based my pricing off http://clearbook.truecar.com/ which was the most complete resource I was able to find.

Exactly, he said in an earlier post he would sell it to a private party for 75K, well over what KBB or NADA say they are worth, and those numbers are usually high as you indicated. I just find it funny he's so mad at a dealership "screwing" him, when all the while he's trying to do the same thing.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I respectfully suggest that some of you guys are missing the point. SRT is trying to move away from having "average" dealers out there and be more like the upper echelon. This includes among other things a different sales tactic that is dictated by SRT.
Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley and MB to name a few have strict corporate rules regarding charging over MSRP and dealers are simply not allowed to charge over MRSP. That does not mean that unscrupulous dealers are not going to work around the system as this applies to only new cars or ****** mention that supply is very limited and "if you want one, there could be an upcharge" but rules are there to avoid these kind of issues.
It is now up to us to to make a stand and report to SRT any dealers that are trying that ridiculous gouging practice. If that is not done, SRT will quickly lose the higher end clients it is trying to attract.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime, I recently had 2 friends buy a 458 (a year ago) and an F12 (recently) for MSRP. Getting the allocation is the tough part. Ferrari even requires buyers of a new car to have a first right of refusal if you sell the car back within a year to avoid "flippers". Obviously they can't force someone to abide by the contract but if you end up doing it without their approval, good luck buying another new one and you will be stuck being on the used car market. At that level, the new generation cars (ie 458 Spyder) are already allocated to existing owners. Once you get in the club, then getting a new one is easy and you will NEVER pay over MSRP.
I think SRT should follow that strategy. Based on some of forum members comment, they feel entitled because they already own a Viper. The Ferrari philosophy exemplifies that.
Mandate the dealers to sell to existing owners at MRSP and have strict rules for owners if they want to flip. Then allow the new potential owners to buy at MRSP. I do not have a problem with that.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime, I recently had 2 friends buy a 458 (a year ago) and an F12 (recently) for MSRP. Getting the allocation is the tough part. Ferrari even requires buyers of a new car to have a first right of refusal if you sell the car back within a year to avoid "flippers". Obviously they can't force someone to abide by the contract but if you end up doing it without their approval, good luck buying another new one and you will be stuck being on the used car market. At that level, the new generation cars (ie 458 Spyder) are already allocated to existing owners. Once you get in the club, then getting a new one is easy and you will NEVER pay over MSRP.
I think SRT should follow that strategy. Based on some of forum members comment, they feel entitled because they already own a Viper. The Ferrari philosophy exemplifies that.

Mandate the dealers to sell to existing owners at MRSP and have strict rules for owners if they want to flip. Then allow the new potential owners to buy at MRSP. I do not have a problem with that.

Ok, then the flip side is, they should mandate that they do not discount below MSRP, even if they are leftovers. Who cares if the market is flooded with them...MSRP it is!!!! Do you see how crazy that is? I'm sure you are all for the dealer losing their a*s to sell you a car, but not with them making a premium when the situation arrises. It's very simple, if there is limited supply and demand is up...so is the value and the price. Period

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They do not need to mandate selling for less than MRSP because there is more demand than supply. Dealers always find a buyer at MRSP. Get it? Obviously this only applies to Ferrari as it is the exception to the rule.
For the rest of the high end car dealers, it is one sided. You are not allowed to sell for above MSRP and if you sell for less, then you will get less allocated to you in future years. I see nothing wrong with that.
Corporate is even the one that will give discounts to the dealers. For example, Mercedes had plenty of C63 AMG sitting on the lot and they threw a $10K "trunk" money to the dealers to sell the cars.
If the germans can do it, I am sure SRT can as well.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A year or two from now it will be fun to look back at threads like this, worried about paying over MSRP for a Viper.
They will be on dealer lots, discounted like every other generation has been.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealers may get folks on a waiting list and are willing to get bumped up the line for an extra premium. As long as both parties agree, I do not see an issue.

Bruce