Differential question.. Is quaife a must in Viper???

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took my 05 SRT10 conv. to the Unitrax to do a gear swap (to 3.55) this morning and they found that my differential was going bad (car only has 8000 mi) and they rocommended to replace it before a swap. I called my dealer and scheduled to replaced the part under warranty but my question is how this could've happened? I've never taken my car to the track nor did the hard lauch from the standing still. I occationally drove the car ******* the freeway (mostly 50-100mph or so) and did a light burn out ONLY once. Does this sound normal? If so, then I should seriously think about changing the differential with the quaife although it's a bit pricey. This is my daily driver and I don't plan to take my car to the track. Should I just get the part replaced with the stock diff. or just go with the quaife and not worry about breaking it?

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took my 05 SRT10 conv. to the Unitrax to do a gear swap (to 3.55) this morning and they found that my differential was going bad (car only has 8000 mi) and they rocommended to replace it before a swap. I called my dealer and scheduled to replaced the part under warranty but my question is how this could've happened? I've never taken my car to the track nor did the hard lauch from the standing still. I occationally drove the car ******* the freeway (mostly 50-100mph or so) and did a light burn out ONLY once. Does this sound normal? If so, then I should seriously think about changing the differential with the quaife although it's a bit pricey. This is my daily driver and I don't plan to take my car to the track. Should I just get the part replaced with the stock diff. or just go with the quaife and not worry about breaking it?

The stock differential in a Viper is actually pretty good. Yours going bad without hard driving is an anomally. I haven't heard of very many failing, even under pretty hard driving. If you plan on a significant amount of racing, Quaife is the way to go. For the kind of driving you described, stock should be fine. Get it fixed under warrantee and enjoy.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Maybe differentials go bad when you drive like a *****.... ;-)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
gripforce,

No, stock SRT diff's are not pretty good. They belong in a jeep and are, in fact, lousy. They don't belong in a Viper. After 5 ring and pinion jobs and two stock diffs, both blew up while at about 70 mph, I went with the Quaife.

I've been smiling ever since, no diff issues, much better traction in the straight and tons better traction out of corners.

If this is to be your daily driver, get the quaife.

Search the archives as much has been written about the hydralok diff, none of it good.

Dan

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. I guess the quaife it is!! Anyways, I will get the diff. replaced by the dealer tomorrow while I work on my wife for the quaife fund approval. The good news is Devin at Unitrax would do the quaife @ a shop price. Viper X, I think I saw your red srt10 at the crystal cove last Sat. morning. Nice ride!!! May be you can give me a ride in your paxton fed beast!!!

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Differential question.. Is quaife a must in Viper???

Oh... but the red one I saw had a license plate of "VIPER X". I must be confusing with the other one. Anyways, it was a nice rde !!!

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
gripforce,

No, stock SRT diff's are not pretty good. They belong in a jeep and are, in fact, lousy. They don't belong in a Viper. After 5 ring and pinion jobs and two stock diffs, both blew up while at about 70 mph, I went with the Quaife.

I've been smiling ever since, no diff issues, much better traction in the straight and tons better traction out of corners.

If this is to be your daily driver, get the quaife.

Search the archives as much has been written about the hydralok diff, none of it good.

Dan

Dude, you have to shift out of first while you're on the highway! J/K!

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the Hydrda-lok *****. Do one leggers until it decides to lock up. The Viper should have came with a more Predictable/precise diff. carrier, not left overs from the Grand Cherokee.

The Quaife is great but very expensive. The Quaife also requires machining of the diff. housing in order for it to fit. TAYLOR RACING - AMERICAN QUAIFE DISTRIBUTOR

I put a call into Eaton to see if they had a unit for the SRT-10, still waiting for a response. I've run Eatons and the Detroit Truetrac in other vehicles and had great results. I've heard they have a unit for the SRT-10 but I'm not 100% sure. These units are at least half the price of the Quaife or better. DETROIT TRUETRAC

I should have some info on the alternatives soon.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper X is putting down Jumbo jet type HP
no wonder he was on the diff salesmans Christmas card list.
And it is Red, they are the fastest.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper x actually has a black one. That thing is a monster for sure!

It looks somethin like this..........

416IMG_2718.JPG

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... and they found that my differential was going bad (car only has 8000 mi)...

What was going bad? What symptoms did you have before you took it there? Did you know somthing was wrong before you took it there?

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheel hop killed my rear-end . After practicing some launches on a nice smooth road , little bit of wheel hop and she came apart. Had dealer replace it then pulled it out the stock and installed the comp. coupe rear-end. Happy ever since. I bought the entire rear end so even an-idiot like me came take it out,like I did last week-end.Tradin in my 03 for a 06 coupe. With the quaife will you get the whole rear end??? How much for the quaife ???

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: "Wheel hop killed my rear-end . After practicing some launches on a nice smooth road , little bit of wheel hop and she came apart. Had dealer replace it then pulled it out the stock and installed the comp. coupe rear-end. Happy ever since. I bought the entire rear end so even an-idiot like me came take it out,like I did last week-end.Tradin in my 03 for a 06 coupe. With the quaife will you get the whole rear end??? How much for the quaife ??? "

The comp coupe rear end is an interestingt idea. How is it different form the stock unit and is it cheaper than the quaife?

By the way my 2003 now has 15000 miles of it and I beat the hell out of it. No problems so far. I got rid of the wheel hop by ditching the run flats for the sticker Michelin non run flats.

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't notice any strange noise at all and my car drove fine. The tech. at unitrax found out when they visually inspect the diff.(I was getting the gear swap) The diff isn't broken yet but they said it is about to go. Anyways, I dropped off my car at the dealer this morning and they will inspect them. But it's funny how they reacted when I said the broken diff. on SRT10s are somewhat common. They had no diff. issues on all 40+ SRT10s (even the track prep cars) they have serviced in the past 3 years. If it's gone bad, DC might not cover it under warranty since they are wear&tear item. Since when diff. became a wearable item on cars? The last thing I want to do is arguing over a warranty issue with the dealer. I hope this turns out the way it should be.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't notice any strange noise at all and my car drove fine. The tech. at unitrax found out when they visually inspect the diff.(I was getting the gear swap) The diff isn't broken yet but they said it is about to go. Anyways, I dropped off my car at the dealer this morning and they will inspect them. But it's funny how they reacted when I said the broken diff. on SRT10s are somewhat common. They had no diff. issues on all 40+ SRT10s (even the track prep cars) they have serviced in the past 3 years. If it's gone bad, DC might not cover it under warranty since they are wear&tear item. Since when diff. became a wearable item on cars? The last thing I want to do is arguing over a warranty issue with the dealer. I hope this turns out the way it should be.

This absolutely is a ligitamate warrantee issue, even if the car was raced. DC already lost an expensive law suit for failing to honor a warrantee claim on a broken diff that was drag raced hard. Don't let them [******] you. If your diff is bad and the car is still under warrantee, they should fix it, period.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't notice any strange noise at all and my car drove fine. The tech. at unitrax found out when they visually inspect the diff.(I was getting the gear swap) The diff isn't broken yet but they said it is about to go.

Isn't that a little strange? You don't beat on it yet a tech says "it's about to go" without any explanation. I'm curious to see what your dealer will find.
Maybe unitrax just wanted to sell you a whole new rear.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"This absolutely is a ligitamate warrantee issue, even if the car was raced. DC already lost an expensive law suit for failing to honor a warrantee claim on a broken diff that was drag raced hard. Don't let them [******] you. If your diff is bad and the car is still under warrantee, they should fix it, period. "

This is great news as they have always tried to get out of fixing vipers under warranty that have been raced. Does anyone have the info on that law suite so we can stick it under the dealers nose if needed?

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with ViperX on this one.

I changed to a Quaiffe because the rear end is the weak point of a Viper. Unitrak is a great company to deal with and they are very honest and capable. They set my gears up in the Quaiffe I purchased. No problems just a reliable set-up that DC should have installed in the first place.

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbie: The comp. coupe rear looks the same as stock . They use the same housing. Even uses the same ring and pinion. I bought it 2 1/2 years ago, i think it was between $3200-3500. In our region ,I know of 4 people that had the stock rear go bad. I know the dealer cover those also. I remember a conversation with a dealer shortly after I bought my 03 ,in 03 ,about this problem. What ***** is that it is the same rear still in the 06 cars.They should have stuck with the rear-end in the Gen 2 vipers.I'm swaping mine out right after I pick up my 06.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dave; Nice pic of my black SRT-10. If you get a chance, I'd like a copy of the file.

Gripforce; the plate on my black SRT-10 is ViperX. I got tired of being asked "What kind of car is that?" by others, so I searched for a license plate with the word Viper in it and this is what I decided on. If you look closely at the photo, two cars to the right is my wife's red / silver striped GTS ACR. License plate ViperXX.

SRT10; as you are from the other coast, I'll cut you some slack. You may not know Unitrax. These guys are the best, they stand behind their work and give only great advice. No chance whatsoever they intentionally misinformed anyone.

Kwik96: My first diff explosion came while cruising down the freeway at about 75 in 5th gear. Mods at that time were K&N's and Corsa track. Miles were about 8,000. Dealer gave me a new diff, no questions.

Comp coupe diff is a Ricardo type unit.

Unitrax does now have a few new Trutrac's in stock. I'm told that these are about as good as a Quaife but less dough. Talk to Devin or Jerry. They also have upgraded 1/2 shafts for our SRT-10's with all new cages for the bearings. I just had a set put in and they feel much stronger.

Dan

:headbang:

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gripforce; the plate on my black SRT-10 is ViperX. I got tired of being asked "What kind of car is that?" by others, so I searched for a license plate with the word Viper in it and this is what I decided on. If you look closely at the photo, two cars to the right is my wife's red / silver striped GTS ACR. License plate ViperXX.

--- I see, thanks for clearing that up for me. By the way, can I take a ride in your car someday? I've been talking to Dan @ DC Perf. for a SC set up and I want to know how SC car drives. I'm sure it's a blast to drive but since I drive my car everyday (I drive about 1K/month), the daily drivability is my biggest concern. I go down to crystal cove once or twice a month and may be we can meet up there.

SRT10; as you are from the other coast, I'll cut you some slack. You may not know Unitrax. These guys are the best, they stand behind their work and give only great advice. No chance whatsoever they intentionally misinformed anyone.

--- I second that!!! Unitrax is one of the best&honest people in this business. They even offered me to go down to the dealer and talk to the tech. I've known them for 5 yrs and all my cars get work done at Unitrax. They simply are the best.

Kwik96: My first diff explosion came while cruising down the freeway at about 75 in 5th gear. Mods at that time were K&N's and Corsa track. Miles were about 8,000. Dealer gave me a new diff, no questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an update. Car is still at the dealer and they still haven't figure out what to do with it. After I dropped off my car, they needed two days to find out nothing was wrong with the diff. They put more than 30 mi. of test drive and performed several inspections however they didn't find anything wrong.

I asked Unitrax a favor to call the dealer and talk to the tech. Now, the dealer is convinced however they are not convinced to work on it since it's not completely broken yet it's still drivable. They're saying that they just can't replace the part unless it's broken.

I demanded for a fix and now they are talking to the people at DC for an warranty repair approval. They supposed call me today what the DC wants to do. We will see what happens.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody EVER takes their Viper into Unitrax if their rear end is fine.

They are a rear end repair shop. As good as any in the business. Very ethical.

When I took mine in, it was for a ratio change. They showed me the condition of my parts, and offered options for me to choose from for the upgrade.

Will always be happy to show you any damage done for your confirmation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang