Diffuser and splitter build pics

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driveway test complete.

I'd rate my driveway angle a 3 out of 10, with 5 being the max upper limit on a non lowered car like mine. 10 being Jeep country. You've seen them.

It looks like I might have room to lower about 1/2" on the front and then I'm toast.

You must be registered for see images

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The splitter is attached to the fascia, not any frame member, so won't it just fold up when you find the 5/10 driveway? It'll find you, after the snow, freeze, and driveway heave? Anyway, as I learned with my homemade Roe ducting, best not to make too many parts too stiffly mounted since you will eventually find said driveway. The other bandaid is stiffer springs that don't allow as much compression.

Nice wheels.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct Tom. Although with only 3 of the 17 screws in it for the photo op, when I lifted up on it the fascia did give.

Remember though, as I'm well into step 2 of 12 in the poser's anonymous group, that I will turn around and head home when a "5" is in front of me.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu: Looks great Dave :2tu:

What finish are you going to go for? Ali, Black or anodized Red? ;)

:uk:

With everything but the supports at the wheel wells (which I have not made yet) being fiberglass, the finish will be paint. I'll do the aluminum pieces at the wheel wells in powder coating. It will all be satin black. For now I'm going to rattle can the fiberglass splitter with Krylon Fusion. Cheap, and if it does not last I'll get some 2 component paint and try that.

I'm also still planning on making a filler strip that will run right where the fascia and splitter meet at the forward edge. That will make it more functional, and will prevent a massive buildup of sand in that wedge crack.

You should see all of the little pebbles I have to pick off the top of my side splitters where they meet the sills. And they are just incidental contact. The ones on the front will be driven in by direct speed.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also still planning on making a filler strip that will run right where the fascia and splitter meet at the forward edge. That will make it more functional, and will prevent a massive buildup of sand in that wedge crack.

Hmmm... maybe you can find adhesive backed bathroom vinyl molding that fills your wedgie. Don't know if it comes in colors other than white, though. Outdoor caulk comes in colors and would stay flexible for those eventual 5/10s.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think custom Tom. Time consuming, one of a kind, no other like it, never find it elsewhere, you can't have one like mine at any price kind of parts.

That's what I build. ;)

So, um, the bathroom aisle at Home Depot don't cut it for me. :D

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go Dave, for one of kind, like no other custom job..... just mount these bad boys up under the the spoiler and you have a mechanical version of a ground surveilance/ terain avoidance system.

eBay Motors: CURB FEELERS 4 INDICATORS PROTECTS BUMPER WHEELS FENDER (item 120376733301 end time Mar-12-09 13:53:13 PDT)

Upon their prompt to offer such, I emailed them for some more technical info. Specific points being are these feelers uni-directional bi-orientational capable, or are they like the old single wave length stand aside models of the past that simply look hot.

Because really, I could paint them white and just say they work good, but I would prefer... no, insist, that they give my Viper the force field of protection they advertise!

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave will have to fab up a continental kit if he wants to install those!

:hahaup::hahaup::hahaup::hahaup::hahaup::poke::poke::poke:

Can't have a continental kit without white walls too!!!!!:lmao:

Ooooppssss, sorry Dave! Getting back on track, How is the build going? Got the splitter painted?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started and almost finished the braces by the wheel well opening.

I used a piece of poster board to make the template to follow the fascia line. Rubbed the edge with a screwdriver handle and then cut it on the crease.

I used some more of that leftover 0.080 5052 sheet to cut the parts. I added a tab at the bottom that will have a screw through it to the splitter.

Took some careful hand forming to make it snug up well. Used duck bill vise grips as helpers for that.

The screw still needs to be added on the tab to the fascia.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, you may know that Roe once sold some aero devices that look like your latest part. It may have even protruded more... The part was supposed to draw more air out of the wheelwell and help cool the brakes. Don't know if you can research that and make the part do double duty.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct Tom. Likely on both fronts. Roe making that part, and it being wider. My goal being just as much poser as function I wanted the width the splitter adds to the car to be even with the width at the tires. That would have been 1" at the sides. Two things happened since that...

-> I decided 1" was just too wimpy and made it 1-1/2". Probably a good idea anyway because...

-> Went to an 11" wide front wheel with 295 tires. The original 1" figure would have aligned with the old 10" wide wheels I had on when I first made the measurement.

But for greatest function, that width there on the sides should be in excess of the entire wheel well opening and the tire if it protrudes.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finished getting the pieces at the wheel wells attached to the splitter. Final screws/nuts/washers will be black oxide stainless steel.

Next is the filler panel between the splitter and the fascia.

I ran a line of 1/4" tape along the fascia where the upper edge of that will be. I then on 6" intervals measured the height along the fascia and plugged it into my CAD program to generate a curve - the template.

CAD screen shot of one half of the filler panel.

I the printed it out 1:1 including the actual layout. It will be one piece across the front (about 4 ft), and then the balance on each side (about 2 ft).

Back to the 1/2 template I printed, I checked it against the car to start with. A-OK!

Next was to cut the skinny piece that covers the full front. Cut the paper and Sharpie'd around it, then cut with shears. Material is 0.032 aluminum. Do not know alloy. Dave's scrap pile stuff.

One of the side panels. More to come later of course.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Incredible work! I have said it before and I will say it again. You are the Yankee Workshop of the Viper world.

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
EVERY time I check this thread I am even more amazed than the last time I looked. This set-up looks just perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21