DLM dyno'd my Supercharged Viper today!

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: DLM dyno\'d my Supercharged Viper today!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:
Doug I am not a tuner nor a spokesperson for the customers of the tuners that work on my car, they will have to do that on their own, but usually when I ask joe a question mike doesn't answer joe does. Scotts enthusiasum made me wonder
why so much, not that it was bad or anything but what are you gonna do with all that horsepower inquiring minds want to know.And say what ever you want about other tuners thats between you and them I could care less, but what I do want to know is, Scott if your allowed to answer are you going to drive the car on the street or race it or do a little of both? How do you harness all that power and where can you use it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jamie
Just curious, how old are we? Maybe you should ask Scott if he could take you for a ride and show you how much power he can harness on the street. If that's ok with your parents?

Give it up son your killing me
laugh.gif

Max

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT size="6"><FONT COLOR="Red">...7 </FONT c><FONT COLOR="LineGreen">S</FONT c><FONT COLOR="Pink">E</FONT c><FONT COLOR="Green">C</FONT c><FONT COLOR="Orange">O</FONT c><FONT COLOR="Purple">N</FONT c><FONT COLOR="Blue">D</FONT c> <u><FONT COLOR="red">STREET</FONT c></u>... cars???</FONT s>

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've met Doug Levin on several ocassions, he stole a girl from me once, but I am not a spokesman for his Supercharged Vipers. I want to say though, that I drove Gerald's 94 Levin Supercharged Viper and it was un****ing believable! I loved it! One of these days I'll be sending a Viper to Doug. Maybe # 34 when I retire it from road racing.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Max I am old enough to drive my own viper, my 10sec one.Do you have one yet or are you still racing magazines?

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well Scott I think its sounds awsome and I can't wait to hear what you run, if you can hook it its going to be unreal.I am glad you are going to run the car and your not some poser or magazine racer like alot of this board members are.
Good luck !

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:
How do you harness all that power and where can you use it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Scott's suspension was modified to transfer weight more efficiently to improve traction on the street as well as racetrack. This for certain enhances a good amount of "useful" horsepower efficiency.

Best Regards,
Doug

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
I've met Doug Levin on several ocassions, he stole a girl from me once
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Chuck,
You are one handsome devil!
Do you think for a minute she would have gone with me If you had more horsepower than I do?
smile.gif

You guys are great. Looking forward to seeing you all again in Tampa!
Doug

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think that Chuck and Michael Jackson should get together.............They are lovers not fighters/racers........

Last time at the Gandy, as some of us went out on the "rat patrol" chuck manned the headquarters with ole "34" entertaining the young ladies. I don't know if he hooked one but they were crawling all over him and his ride!!!!!!

Being single and having a viper is a very dangerous and FUN combination. I dream of it all of the time..LOL JK.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

BTW, what about GANDY this Saturday nite????????????????????

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
I think that Chuck and Michael Jackson should get together
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom, please change this quote. Try as I may, there is no way Michael Jackson would confuse me with a 12 year old boy.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
BTW, what about GANDY this Saturday nite????????????????????
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm game. I'll be back by 8pm from posing, er I mean racing at Moroso.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Supercharged Vipers:
Do you think for a minute she would have gone with me If you had more horsepower than I do?
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I don't want a woman that is so shallow she would choose a man because of his horsepower instead of his body.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Hey, I don't want a woman that is so shallow she would choose a man because of his horsepower instead of his body.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you want then, a man?

Reaction score

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree... I felt so used!

Doug

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

851rwhp??? On only 13psi??? My friends Supra has 640+ at 28psi...Vipers are absolutely incredible......Bro your car sounds like it would wax a Hayabusa.....Sounds like you can play with a certain VENOMous turbo snake or even kill one of those sweet Oreca Vipers in the 1/4
biggrin.gif

I was always told by Import tuners that Turbo's make more power than Superchargers so if you want big hp you would be better off going turbo.....Maybe this only applies to Imports not to 8 liter predators.........I am totally impressed
cool.gif

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Turbos -v- Superchargers usually means Turbos -v- Non-Centrifugal Superchargers.

Non-Centrifugal Superchargers are much more inefficient than Turbos - except for the Whipple, however, it is not encountered often.

The Centrifugal Supercharger has the same radial compressor a turbo has and hence, the same efficiency, however, power is extracted from the crank rather than the exhaust.

Thermodynamically, it is appealing to capture that exhaust energy, however, this is at the expense of exhaust valve temperature and turbocharged cam spec constraints.

Besides, when in doubt, look at what trucks did. They started out with Roots Superchargers and went over to Turbos. Not to mention F1. (While turbos might be good for drag racing, I know years ago they were outlawed and stuck in their own ridiculous classes.

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SnakeBitten:
851rwhp??? On only 13psi??? My friends Supra has 640+ at 28psi...Vipers are absolutely incredible......Bro your car sounds like it would wax a Hayabusa.....Sounds like you can play with a certain VENOMous turbo snake or even kill one of those sweet Oreca Vipers in the 1/4
biggrin.gif

I was always told by Import tuners that Turbo's make more power than Superchargers so if you want big hp you would be better off going turbo.....Maybe this only applies to Imports not to 8 liter predators.........I am totally impressed
cool.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, it was 851 rw @ 18 psi, non intercooled, 104 degrees. The supercharger is a custom race head unit. The adiabatic efficiency of the unit nets good results for non intercooled horsepower. We were using a 2 Bar map sensor which is max'ed out at 15 psi. The next step would have been to go to a 3 Bar sensor (30 psi) but it was not necessary for our game plan, we lowered the boost to 13 psi to run a small shot of giggle gas.

Mapping forced induction with nitrous takes a lot of experience, it's easy to detonate ... go lean or too rich in just a split second. A lot of time was spent on a dyno to get the A/F at par without any detonation.

Thanks for your input,
Doug

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tomatper:
Turbos -v- Superchargers usually means Turbos -v- Non-Centrifugal Superchargers.

Non-Centrifugal Superchargers are much more inefficient than Turbos - except for the Whipple, however, it is not encountered often.

The Centrifugal Supercharger has the same radial compressor a turbo has and hence, the same efficiency, however, power is extracted from the crank rather than the exhaust.

Thermodynamically, it is appealing to capture that exhaust energy, however, this is at the expense of exhaust valve temperature and turbocharged cam spec constraints.

Besides, when in doubt, look at what trucks did. They started out with Roots Superchargers and went over to Turbos. Not to mention F1. (While turbos might be good for drag racing, I know years ago they were outlawed and stuck in their own ridiculous classes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ScottP,

Your guess is as good as mine..!
bounce.gif

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doug or anyone involved. How much did it cost? How much to prep the engine? How much for the upgrade? Who did the machine work on the engine?

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Orginally posted by Doug Supercharged Vipers:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Atually, it was 851 rw @ 18 psi, non intercooled, 104 degrees.
Thanks for your input,
Doug

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Doug,
How much more power do you think you could make with that same system if it were intercooled? I'm looking forward to getting my car back to you for some R&D but will wait for your shop to calm a little.

Max

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrat's to Scott and Doug Levin!
I've had my car super charged by Doug some time ago and never would go to any other modifications again. There's just nothing like it. I still can't believe the smoothness of my car when I'm not boosting. You wouldn't think it can make power like it can.
Anybody who does go that route, be patient. I can now see why Doug needs time to build. It's truly awesome. Doug is a class act and one of the most pleasurable tuners to deal with.

Cheers,
Tom

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

what's this about chuck liking men who are shallow and look like Michael jackson? Did i miss something here?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab:
what's this about chuck liking men who are shallow and look like Michael jackson? Did i miss something here?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope, you didn't miss a thing, I think that's why Gerald is getting the plastic surgery.
laugh.gif

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The man spent all weekend at Moroso fighting the women off! It was a spectacular sight. They kept saying "we don't care that you own 98 RT/10 and a 97GTS, what are those anyways?" I was very impressed to say the least, considering we were 3 hours from home and he only drove the GTS to Palm Beach.

Women...awesome !

Later,

Jayson

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The people in Italy could not believe what they heard me say about Dougs Vipers....They cannot wait to see one on the road or featured on a show. I cannot wait to see what a monster Doug made for Gerald...

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MaxedGTS: Doug,
How much more power do you think you could make with that same system if it were intercooled? I'm looking forward to getting my car back to you for some R&D but will wait for your shop to calm a little.

Max

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Max,
Sorry it took so long to respond (work load).
Although we are using a bigger supercharger head unit and spinning it slower, intercooling a high boost application would certainly be beneficial. Intercooling the incoming air and converting it to a denser charge allows the air molecules to shrink, hence, packing more air and fuel into the combustion chambers - The main reason too we opt to supercharge, bore/stroke or nitrous. The more air/fuel packed into the cylinders, the greater the power output
smile.gif

Regards,
Doug

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vip rt10 if that is a list of your cars below your reply you are one bad dude, would you consider adoption?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vip rt10 if that is a list of your cars below your reply you are one bad dude, would you consider adoption?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get in line.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry guys, Antonio is my ******! "One time, at band camp.."

G

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doug you said that you made the numbers with a shot of laughing gas. People here want to know how much power do you make with just the supercharger and the motor. If you have that power on tap without laughing gas then those are incredible numbers. Also what kind of fuel did you use for the power numbers you got.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Supercharged Vipers:
Originally posted by MaxedGTS: Doug,

Max

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Max,
Sorry it took so long to respond (work load).
Although we are using a bigger supercharger head unit and spinning it slower, intercooling a high boost application would certainly be beneficial. Intercooling the incoming air and converting it to a denser charge allows the air molecules to shrink, hence, packing more air and fuel into the combustion chambers - The main reason too we opt to supercharge, bore/stroke or nitrous. The more air/fuel packed into the cylinders, the greater the power output
smile.gif

Regards,
Doug

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FastFreddie:
These are some crazy hp numbers doug. Congrats Scott. Doug how much rwhp did the car make on 13 lbs of boost? Im sure its still alot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi FastFreddie,
Thanks for the compliment! It was 104 degrees in the dyno room and the heat soak was incredible. We lowered the boost until we hit 670 rwhp and bumped it up to just over 700 rwhp. Scott was great to work with and let us do our thing.

Keep in touch,
Doug

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Toronto_ACR:
Doug you said that you made the numbers with a shot of laughing gas. People here want to know how much power do you make with just the supercharger and the motor. If you have that power on tap without laughing gas then those are incredible numbers. Also what kind of fuel did you use for the power numbers you got.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Toronto_ACR -
I hope you were able establish our ultimate horsepower objectives. Thanks to Tony Rickard for his help on this one (very sharp Tony, thx). If you have any other questions -or- you would like to contact me via phone, you are more than welcome to call - Thanks for your input!

Doug

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper