Do you guys pop your hood...

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually leave it parked in the driveway in the shade until it cools down, then put it away around dark. At night, I just pull in the garage, turn off the lights and lock the doors.

At the track, I always cool down carefully. Most often, it's the brakes that need careful cooling (read: slow driving and moving air) so the calipers don't boil or the rotors don't warp. When stopped, I leave it running with the hood open. I never turn off the engine until (at least) the t'stat and fan begin to cycle normally.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#5, I have a carpet drying fan that is pointed right at the front facia opening, it is on a timer to run for about a half hour after I park my beauty in the garage...

If nothing else, the garage is atleast a lot cooler...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, have three electric fans in the garage used for cooling the cars after a run. On warm days, I pop the hood too.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Depends on the driving. The 100mph run to the crab feast I made sure the hood was open (#4) because the car was out in the sun. If its just a general cruise or trip to the bar then I just pull back in and leave it be.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"#4. BTW... Whats up with all the battery tender hook ups? I've never had a weak battery."

Who knows?
Some guys think that Vipers need not only special cooling down but also special battery treatment.

Special cool down isn't needed and battery tenders are not needed either, unless you are not going to drive for a month or two.

But if it makes people feel better, it isn't going to hurt anything.

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm I just drive the car, If the owners manual said to pop the hood and put a fan in front of the fascia, then I probably would, but it's just a car. When you are sitting in gridlock traffic your engine is is getting extremely hot aswell. Are you going to get out and pop the hood in traffic? probably not. Now if you are tracking and to get better times I could see popping the hood or using fans. But just for the everyday cruiser and weekend canyon carving, I dont see the benefit of going to all that work. I just drive it and put it away. thats my .02cents

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hahhaa! what's #7?

yeh I wondered what's up with the battery? is the stock one any good or do most folks change it out?

I have a cooler on my vette, but I still pop the hood at the track after I cool it down driving around for 5 min or so.

Does the viper need a cool down on a hot day, street driving?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Does the viper need a cool down on a hot day, street driving?"

No, it doesn't need any more special treatment than any other car.

More than a few Viper owners seem to think they need to lots of things that really are not needed.

Many of these guys just like to mess with their cars. More frequent than needed oil changes, battery tenders, frequent spark plug replacement, bolt on doo dads such as Vipair,
are all signs that someone just likes to mess with his car.

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does popping the hood open activate a light in the engine compartment? Hate to return the next day to find a dead battery.

cycloneGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More than a few Viper owners seem to think they need to lots of things that really are not needed.

I agree...I have never opened the hood to cool the engine, and I see no effects from heat damage after 3.5 years.