Does 6th gear kill the cluth if going under 120mph

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess: It just wooldn't be in the right place in the HP/Torque curve to overcome the drag at high speed. I guess that it might be like having it in 6th at 30mph and stepping on the gas. Would that cause damage? I've never tried 6th at 30mph; but, it seems like there is so much torque that it wouldn't lug the engine.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a contrarian and I enjoy doing things backwards. So, I sometimes start in 6th and work my way back down. Interesting to an unsuspecting passenger... :D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After driving 700 miles on a long trip to/from Pocono I purposely, actually FORCED myself to stay in 6th gear most of the 700 miles. My goal was to see for myself this gas mileage surge I've been reading about cruising in 6th.

Let me say, I'd rather have my wisdom teeth yanked out again, without pain killers or gas, then do that drive in 6th gear again. Yep, gas mileage was much better but the enjoyment factor completely sucked. I can't understand how some of you folks can do the 6th gear thing. For me, it just wasn't worth the MPG benefits. On a positive note, it surely saved me from MANY speeding tickets during the trip. I slowly passed troopers on the highway that gave me bewildered looks as I 'coasted' by them in 6th.

As for the transmission, it seemed that 80mph was the sweet spot in 6th although I spent a lot of time around 70mph around 1,500rpm (don't quote me). Even around 60ish the car felt fine in 6th but I probably won't ever see 6th gear again.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After driving 700 miles on a long trip to/from Pocono I purposely, actually FORCED myself to stay in 6th gear most of the 700 miles. My goal was to see for myself this gas mileage surge I've been reading about cruising in 6th.

Let me say, I'd rather have my wisdom teeth yanked out again, without pain killers or gas, then do that drive in 6th gear again. Yep, gas mileage was much better but the enjoyment factor completely sucked. I can't understand how some of you folks can do the 6th gear thing. For me, it just wasn't worth the MPG benefits. On a positive note, it surely saved me from MANY speeding tickets during the trip. I slowly passed troopers on the highway that gave me bewildered looks as I 'coasted' by them in 6th.

As for the transmission, it seemed that 80mph was the sweet spot in 6th although I spent a lot of time around 70mph around 1,500rpm (don't quote me). Even around 60ish the car felt fine in 6th but I probably won't ever see 6th gear again.

Disconnect it... :lmao:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, too slow. Someone beat you to it.

Top vehicle speed comes in 5th gear. Upshifting to 6th at 150 would result in (surprise) a reduced vehicle speed.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, too slow. Someone beat you to it.

Top vehicle speed comes in 5th gear. Upshifting to 6th at 150 would result in (surprise) a reduced vehicle speed.

The reason I didn't guess that is that this thread is about damaging the clutch ("kill") using 6th at under 120 mph. Read the title above!

I see no correlation to that concern, and the fact that the car will slow down at 150 mph if shifted from 5th to 6th.

So shifting into 6th at 150 mph does not kill the clutch right? :dunno:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps he means the opposite? Driving under 120MPH in 6th is fine, but really higher speeds and 6th gear don't mix well.

Dave, Incredibly, someone veered off the original topic (a rare event on these forums) and made a "related" comment that you questioned. The author actually agreed with the poster (yet another rare event) regarding the original premise ("Driving under 120MPH in 6th is fine...") and proposed a different scenario of "really higher speeds and 6th gear..."

It appears you shifted into 6th. Sorry you didn't keep up. Hope you didn't hurt your clutch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant