Doing research for a future purchase. ( Warning: Long Post) Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Mike from NJ. I am currently saving to buy a Viper and I hope to purchase one soon after I'm done paying off my new 05 Mustang. Yes That will be a long way away I know, but it's never to early to plan your future in my book.

Anyway I'd like to ask you Viper owners some questions regarding different models, apporximate costs etc. I've been looking on Premier Sportscars web site and have been checking their inventory to see what the current prices are for the different Vipers. My ultimate car would be a 2000-2002 Viper RT/10 or GTS, but I'm not sure if, given my chosen line of work, a car of 58,000 or so would be wise. What are the usual monthly payments on a car of this price? How big of a down payment? What kind of options can I expect? etc

Although I'm not ruling the GTS out I think I'd like an RT/10. Now as I said I'd like a 2000-2002 if I could afford it, but what kind of differences can I expect if say I couldn't afford a 2000-2002 but could get say..... a 1995 RT/10? (By this I mean whatever you can tell me comparing and contrasting both)

Also, I once sat in a Viper a few years ago, probably 2002, I was able to sit in a dealers Mineral Grey GTS. I don't remember much about it except that I found it kind of difficult to get out of. (Granted I was kind of pudgy back then.) What would be the height limit on an RT/10 and GTS.

I know this is kind of strange stuff, but I'm just starting my research and will eventually have more intellegent questions as I move closer to this becoming a reality and not a hope. I'm sorry if I sound like a stupid noob. Hell other than that one GTS I've never seen a Viper except for a picture. :(

O Well, thank you for you time and thanks in advance for any input or suggestions about buying a GenII snake.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least get a Gen II RT-10 (1996+) and you will have roll up windows and a car that is capable of daily driving as opposed to a weekend hobby car. Check out the main site and the Viper book that we all have for more info (someone chime in and ehlp with the author and name of the book - I can't find it right now - Maurice I think). And don't forget the the search function. It is your friend.

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a Viper bad enough, why wait. Buy one! Forget your Mustang. Sell it.

I had to settle for a Gen-1 1993 RT. It was the only model year I could afford. But dude -- I love it! It's my favorite all-time Viper. The Gen-1 started the revolution!

The Gen-1 RT is a prototype race car. Forget windows. Forget door handles. Forget A/C. If you want a boring, luxury Japanese car get a Nissan, Lexus ... or the new Corvette.

The Gen-1 Viper is a classic. Do your homework. It's the closest thing to a race car you'll ever experience next to NASCAR or Formula 1.

Think about it. You can be like Schumacher. But better! He only has a 3.0L aluminum V-10 italian-cast engine, whereas the RT has an 8.0L aluminum V-10 italian-cast engine. The RT has him by 5.0L. But you don't see Michael flying down the track with A/C and windows.

How many NASCAR drivers do you see opening door handles and rolling windows up to turn on A/C because it's too hot outside?

The initial Chrysler Viper design team should be written into the history books of Cool American Dudes. They made a genuine race car. Despite all the lawyers and marketing wimps, they new what an American muscle car was all about.

Take your time and do your homework. You can find amazing deals on Gen-1s. It's practically stealing. Especially ones without A/C.

I found my one-owner 1993 RT in Pennsylvania from some old rich dude who put only 4,000 miles on it. The car is brand new. And I probably paid less than what you're paying for a Mustang. They're out there.

Note of caution: though a Viper engine is bigger than Schumacher's Ferrari, I don't suggest attempting 19,000 RPMs.

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is one:
Give up the mustang (I like the car, but...) Use some cash back to invest in real estate, in a couple of year, you'll have enough equity to be able to buy and maintain a Viper.
Driving a Viper is worth the couple of years driving a used car. Just my 0.02...

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ultimate car would be a 2000-2002 Viper RT/10 or GTS, but I'm not sure if, given my chosen line of work, a car of 58,000 or so would be wise.

I paid $15,000 LESS than that for my 2000 RT/10 in New Jersey in January of this year.

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For inspiration: check out 'Car and Driver.' The cover has the new yellow Z06.

Four new cars are compared: Z06, GT40, Carrera, Viper.

The Viper outperforms them all. Hands down. If you become a Viper owner, realize it's not just another straight-line muscle car. Look at how quickly a Viper stops from high speed. A record holder. Look at the skidpad, pulling 1 G.

All Viper models and years are absolutely incredible machines! Only because you're trying to save up money, I encourage you to check an early-model Gen-1 without A/C. They're so cheap. And plenty of them in amazing condition.

If you really want a Viper, you can do it now. I don't regret it whatsoever. Everytime I drive my RT, I can't help but smile like a fool. It's awesome.

Do your homework. Understand why you want a Viper. Read about the first Chrysler design team. Understand their goal and purpose, design and performance.

I wouldn't wait for that ideal moment in life when you're perfectly ready to become a Viper owner. It'll never arrive. You'll just wait and wish. Instead -- make a mistake and enjoy the best thrill of your life. Think about it. If you can afford a 2005 Mustang, you can afford a Gen-1. Sell the Mustang.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
problem with vipers for a guy like him is the upkeep. gonna put a hurting on a guy if he cant afford it.

where in NJ are ya from? i might be able to hook a brotha up....:)

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
I'm from the morris county sussex area. Look. BTW, I don't have a Mustang GT! I have a Fully loaded V6 for 26,895. Granted I love Vipers and they are my fav, but I love the new stang too. I'd like to keep the stang as a retro classic someday. The fact is there is no way I can afford one now. I'd love to hook up with some of you members to talk about the car, and see the car, face to face, but I really can't get one now. Although I really want the 2000-02 model I have a feeling gallaugher has a point. Gen I aren't expensive and I'll probably end up with one of those or maybe an early gen II like 97 or so. I saw one for 47,000. A nice red one.

Anyway, I'm sorry I sound like an ass.

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so you know, I paid far less than 47. That's too much for me too. I'm talking low 30s. In fact, there are sellers desperate for high 20s. Excellent condition gen-1s. Might take a month or two, but they're out there.

I guess if you're unsure, don't do it. And of course don't rush it. It's just that when I bought my Viper, most people thought I won the lottery. It was annoying because I paid less than their new Acura or Lexus.

I'm quick to encourage others that a Viper is very possible to own. Might have to settle for a gen-1, but trust me, those demand respect. All Viper models are absolutely incredible machines. But the success and life of the Dodge Viper is contributed to the simple-minded ingenuity of that first Chrysler design team. All the rules were broken with their prototype. A gen-1.

Another fact to consider: the Enzo and Murcielago both have Italian cast-aluminum V12s, at a mere 365 to 378 cubic inches. The smallest Viper engine is an Italian cast-aluminum V10, with a monster 488. V10s are Formula 1 race engines.

For me there was no doubt: I wanted a red 1993 RT without A/C. Those are the easiest to find for cheap, so it worked to my favor. I wanted a prototype race car: no A/C, no windows, no door handles, aluminum V10, 17 inch wheels.

I may be wrong on this, and other Viper owners may know better: but if you can afford to maintain a Ford Mustang, why can't you afford to maintain a Viper. Am I wrong?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One Day I'll Have One, i was at chatterbox in sussex last nite....

im from the wayne/pompton plains area.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't EVER think you would be "settling" for a lessor car if you bought a Gen 1! Mine is for sale right now but when the day comes that I buy another one you can bet your left nut it will be a Gen 1. Who the hell needs a/c? Not me. I also don't need air bags or all that other crap. Give me a Gen 1 Viper where people ask you "How do you open the doors?" Or "Where are the windows?" Gen 1's brought back the "new" muscle car craze. It took Chevy 13 years to even come close to matching the performance of my car. So when you are ready for a real car and want to come over to our side, sell the Stang and buy a Gen 1 Viper. It will be a decision you will never forget.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
I never thought I'd be settling for a lessor car. A Viper is a Viper is a Viper. I just kind of wanted the creature comforts and style of the later ones, but there is nothing wrong with a Gen I and since my budget won't be huge, if I can find a Gen I for late 20,000 early 30,000 as gallaugher says, than hey I'd go for it! Honestly it makes more sense. I feel getting the car early and getting it over with is better than waiting for times that never come to get a 60,000 car. I'd probably aim for a 95. How much would they be about?

And I AM NOT selling my Mustang! I love it too much. :) I took it to a car show today and it was one of the best cars there. I was runner up for a trophy too. Was beaten by a damn stingray!!!!

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TAKE YOUR TIME!!! Look at least 5 cars before you even begin to make a decision. Ask questions on VCA. Be very careful of modded cars, because you don't know how much abuse they have had, and how much it is going to cost you to fix the problems.

That said, there's nothing like a Viper!!!

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Beleive me I want a fully STOCK Viper. I have no itention of modding it and don't want one someone F'ed with. And I agree and will take my time.How cheap you think you could find a Steel Grey 2002 RT/10? Just curious. That would be my ultimate Viper.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One Day:

One other thing to remember: lousy weather. Being in New Jersey, you will get alot of snow. So, you need some sort of a ****** to get around during the winter months. That aside, go for your dream car! :D

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Heh. Don't worry steve. I have my 96 olds cuttlass for winter and my mustang for a pleasure car. The Viper would go into the mustang's catagory. Damn I wish I had more money!

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 RT-10 on Ebay (picked it up on Friday) for $44,900 with 21k miles. Absolutely fantastic! I liked the idea of getting ABS and actual windows...that was why I went with the 2001. I looked (and almost bought) a '95, but was scared away with head gasket issues. As for payments, It would obviously depend on term, rate, down payment, etc. Don't forget to check the insurance costs...it ain't cheap.

Picked up my RT-10 in Montana and drove down through Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, etc on the way back home to Denver....fantastic trip in a fantastic car.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a grey Viper at a local dealer for 60k. I wanted a Racing Yellow Viper, so I passed. I think it had about 10k miles.

My experience is that the price will vary a lot depending upon mileage and mods. The more mileage and mods, the less the value. My 01 GTS had no mods, and only 3k miles. Looks brand new, so I paid top dollar.

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can find some deals on Vipers, it just takes time. I got mine last December for $38k with 19K miles. The only problem is, I had to trade in the Prowler that I had for six months because I could not sell it fast enough. So with the hit on the trade-in it cost more like $43K. Factor in taxes and new front tires, closer to $46K.

The Mustangs are nice, but not in the same category (as mentioned above) as a Viper. If you still own your Mustang when you get a Viper, the Mustang will be boring compared to the Viper.

Be warned, the Viper is scary fast and a somewhat dangerous to drive. Its a car that does not reward the inexperienced driver. If we lived in the 1600s, they would say it was built by the Devil, not Dodge.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Dangerous to drive? How so? Should I re-think this? lol. See this is exactly why I made this post. I've loved these cars since I was a kid but know little about them actually as a REAL car. So far I just know them as a video game race car or watching the Viper tv show.

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper isn't a learners car. The power, size and shifting requires some driving skills. The Viper is like a fast motorcycle, you have to work your way up to ride it without killing yourself. The Viper has a bad attitude towards those who think they can manhandle it. The car sinister side is it encourages you to push it hard.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In short it will "bite" you if you least expect it.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people don't realize how much torque these cars have. I believe that is what will "bite" some people, not the horsepower. I drove a friends 05 Mustang with a blower and forged internals, puts out 515rwhp/505rwtq. The difference is like night and day. The torque the Viper puts out is unbeatable.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Yeah I must say, from a far not from experience, but the Viper always struck me as a car that you need to pay attention to what you are doing or else you foul up and the car gets a mind of it's own and you probably can't regain control easily.