Door lock doesn't work!!

Have Z Need Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new 2009 coupe has non-working door lock switch on both doors!! Since neither the driver or passenger door allows you to lock the car when exiting, I figured it had to have been programmed that way and I was not in any hurry to have it changed. The local Chrysler dealer said it was not a programmed thing that could be fixed by re-programming. So what are the odds of BOTH doors having bad switches? Has anyone else had this experience. The key fob locks/unlocks appropriately.

So who has fixed this??

Have Snake

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by not working? The switches are electronic and you will not hear anything when you lock or unlock the door. The center guage will show whether the doors are locked or not. Just a guess.

V

Venomiss

I think your dealer needs to try to re program the remotes and or the BCM.

Let us know what happens.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Both responders thinking same as I am thinking...we need to read the exact step-by-step...button-by-button...switch-by-switch steps you have followed, and more complete description of what does and does not work...including alarm arming light status and functional state.

As Venomiss said, would suggest you revisit with dealer, take notes on the diagnostic steps that they took, tools used, results.

If indeed things are amiss, I'd start with a wiTECH & laptop to read system. Agree, one may need to test door latch switches (digital multimeter)...but starting with an overview of system status appeals to me. And, yes, I'm looking at the 2009 Service/wiring CD...and feeling you need someone much smarter than I am...like Tom Sessions or Chuck Tator. Good luck.

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar experience when my battery died from sitting too long over winter with the alarm armed. My alarm seems to arm itself but that's another story. I was locked out and thought I would use the key. I couldn't get the key to even turn in the lock. What good is a key if it's tied to the electronics? I'm curious how you resolve this.

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you check the wiring harness going into the doors? The door wiring harness is notorious for broken wires which could cause this problem.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar experience when my battery died from sitting too long over winter with the alarm armed. My alarm seems to arm itself but that's another story. I was locked out and thought I would use the key. I couldn't get the key to even turn in the lock. What good is a key if it's tied to the electronics? I'm curious how you resolve this.[/QUOTE

I too haven't been able to get the key to turn inside the lock. Is this common.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Demoes4x said:

"I too haven't been able to get the key to turn inside the lock. Is this common."??

Problem turning the "hidden" lock cylinder on the driver's door on Gen III and Gen IV Vipers NOT uncommon...especially if you have not lubed it early in ownership and regularly thereafter. It takes a scary amount of force to get it to work "on a good day" in my opinion. Try some lock lube...or WD-40 if you have some...may take mo than one application. Once working, I like to lube ours about every 6 months.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Also, holding your hip putting pressure against the door will help to take the load off the door lock and will make it easier to turn the hidden key lock.

Demoes4x said:

"I too haven't been able to get the key to turn inside the lock. Is this common."??

Problem turning the "hidden" lock cylinder on the driver's door on Gen III and Gen IV Vipers NOT uncommon...especially if you have not lubed it early in ownership and regularly thereafter. It takes a scary amount of force to get it to work "on a good day" in my opinion. Try some lock lube...or WD-40 if you have some...may take mo than one application. Once working, I like to lube ours about every 6 months.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it. A little WDforty and a bit of force did it.
Thanks guys. I'll keep it lubed from now on.