Door lock

tomg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever use the manual lock on the driver's door. Feels like the key is going to break off in the lock. I called the local dealership and spoke to the head Viper tech and he said he thought the same thing but to pop the solenoid inside the door it takes quite a bit of effort. I am still nervous about breaking the key but he assured me I would not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It does take a good bit of effort to pop due to the rod length but consider the alternative. :eek:

OP
OP
T

tomg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which is to have someone try to jimmy the door?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just before the door pops open, you will swear the key is going to break, but it doesn't. The trick is to push in the door (have someone lean into it if a second person is around). This will make the latch open with much less pressure.

OP
OP
T

tomg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will try the lean in trick when I get home tonight. I had 3 keys cut today. 1 off the vin and the other 2 off the main key itself. Just in case I'd rather break one of those.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just before the door pops open, you will swear the key is going to break, but it doesn't

This is true just did mine.Was always nervous about breaking the key off thanks for the post

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In prior posts, this is offically the "hip-check" manuever. Have the key in the door, put light torque on it with left hand, and push in on door with either your right hand or hip (cotton jeans only with no rivets please, or best worsted wool only) to compress the weather seal near the door latch, and the key will turn and release the door. Good luck!

OP
OP
T

tomg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in!!!! Had the wife lean on the door and the key turned much easier. Used the spare just in case. Thanks for the help guys. TG.