Drag Racing at California Speedway 10/28

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'd been waiting for a few months to get the car on the track, and today was the day. It was a Sportsman class test and tune at CA Speedway today, so I figured the track would be well prepared. In theory it was suposed to be cars with slicks only. I was able to sneek in with pilot sport cups.

I was one of the first cars on the track during round one, all I can say is wholly cr@p. I dumped the clutch to do my mini burnout outside of the water box. All I know is the car pitched hard right, and I figured that was it, I'm in the wall. Somehow I managed to keep it out of the wall. I lined up and eased the clutch out and the thing hooked, then broke loose again in second and put me next to the wall again. Okay this thing is a beast, I pulled out of it then back again two more times till I finally got down the track. 1st pass 12.68 at 124.1 .

Two hours later it was time for round two, don't think their wasn't some serious pucker factor going on. This time I figured I'd just spin the tires a couple of rotations and be conservative. I'm at the light, it goes yellow and I baby the clutch out and ease into it. All's well in first so I slam it into second, the cars going straight so I figure time to get serious and wind it to redline. Now it's pulling harder the faster I go, this thing is amazing.

I get to the end of the track and the lady says, " I've got bad news, your car went 11.47 @ 129.54 your done for the day" " Your going to need a jacket and a roll bar" I was all excited to get booted, for obvious reasons, but I want a 10 second time slip. This car needs some drag radials, and it's definitely got mile an hour left in it. I guess it's time to get half shafts as well. I can't wait to see what It'll really run on a good pass.

trackday.jpg

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Armen,
Congrats on the great run :drive: I have some more good news for you. Big Mike with the SRT4 was talking #@%& that he would beat you in the 60 foot times with him running slicks. I told him no way with your Viper with the mod's you just completed and your driving skills. So I bet him $20 each for you and $20 for me if you won and I would pay him $100 if he won :'). Please post your 60 feet time for Big Mike to see and for our "pay day".

Cathy and I wish we could have gone today, but we had way to many "things going on" this weekend. We are glad you kicked some ass, had a lot of fun, and made it home safely in one piece.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Armen,
I give you a ton of credit for not soiling your pants. I read your post it made me pucker.

Congrats on a job well done!!!
Lance

I've gotta tell you Lance, I can't even think about a non prepped track. That first pass had snakebite written all over it. I wish I could have made another pass, all those dragsters and high horsepower cars really laid some rubber down. On another note, how was Hearst Castle? Must have been a memorable trip.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hearst Castle was definitely an incredible time.
My goal was to bring the California clubs together and I think that the venue was ideal for it. I had a great time visiting with guys I had met a year earlier from the No.Cal club. I also had lunch with a couple from AZ and ofcourse there were the guys from NV.

It was an awesome sight seeing 60 Vipers heading up PCH to Hearst Castle.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get a little club to club competition going.
Auto X has proven to be a very difficult event to coordinate due to venue limitations.
I'm thinking maybe the drags. You can be our "ace in the hole".

Lets get some of the guys up that way together for breakfast. Perhaps a Sunday morning?

Lance

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hearst Castle was definitely an incredible time.
My goal was to bring the California clubs together and I think that the venue was ideal for it. I had a great time visiting with guys I had met a year earlier from the No.Cal club. I also had lunch with a couple from AZ and ofcourse there were the guys from NV.

It was an awesome sight seeing 60 Vipers heading up PCH to Hearst Castle.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get a little club to club competition going.
Auto X has proven to be a very difficult event to coordinate due to venue limitations.
I'm thinking maybe the drags. You can be our "ace in the hole".

Lets get some of the guys up that way together for breakfast. Perhaps a Sunday morning?

Lance

Sounds great Lance......Breakfast, Drags, whatever, I need to get to some events before the years done! Post some pics of your trip!