Driving a GTS 1000 miles non-stop

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering getting a GTS which is nearly 1,000 miles away in Dallas. How is it to drive non-stop for that long? Any things to look out for before making the trip? Also, can anyone recommend a good shipping company for transport From Dallas to Denver. :confused:

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shipping would be pretty cheap and probably a better way to go. Try Intercity, Reliable, or Passport Transport, all have been good with us. Good luck!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1000 miles sounds like fun! I think the comfort depends on how well you fit in the Viper. If you are let's say 6'5" could be tough on you!

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has a fair number of miles on it already, I say drive it!

If it's brand new or a rare low mile car then I'd ship it myself but it'd be a fun drive!

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say drive it as well. When I bought my Gen I RT-10 I drove it 1800 miles first time I had ever driven a Viper. Made it from Denver to Pennsylvania in under two days.

Just be leary of uneven pavement and construction, because I was not used to the car pulling with the grooves in the roads, due to the wide tire track.

Good luck what ever you decide.
Ed

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
been there, done that. all went fine.

Check all fluids, (cant hurt to bring extra) and keep an eye on tire pressure!

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine 850 miles from New Jersey to Atlanta. One the good side, it gave me a chance to get acquanited with the car and experience the celebrity that driving a Viper gives you. On the bad side, I do not like the car for long trips, mainly because there's no cruise control. Having to hold your foot on the gas like that is tiring.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Enjoy the opportunity for a long road trip. After you get it home you'll probably never drive that far again. Dallas to Denver is a nice drive anyway. Are you buying from anyone in the N.Texas VCA? Do you need someone to check out the car for you? If so, I can do it if you want.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, and I only drove mine 700 miles home (Tampa to Durham), just a quick trip, enjoy it! :)

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drive it, thats how its meant to be done. like a good bike; dont be one of those that railer the thing, enjoy it.

1k nonstop is easy.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be on the road tomorrow between NJ and VA driving home a garage queen 98 with 1700 miles, and first time driving a Viper!

By the way what should the cold tire pressure be ?

Guess I'll have to change my userID, can you do that and not loose all those valuable VCA cupons and such :D

Thanks

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had mine shipped by Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS Shipping) from Wisconsin to San Francisco, but could not wait to get it after it had arrived in LA since I had one week to break it in before Viper Days at Thunderhill so I flew down to LA and drove it back 500 miles to my home in the Bay Area. I enjoyed every moment of it, even during the rainy spells (hold on tight!!)

Bring a quart or two of Mobil One 10-30 (I didn't need any.)

And whoever complained about their foot getting tired from holding down the pedal for so long without cruise should be driving a vette! ;)

Have fun.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With any luck, our car will never be trailered anywhere. Factory pick up was a 500 mile ride. Nashville 1100 each way. We have another 1000 mile ride coming up in May(we've taken several others). We have never grown tired or uncomfortable driving this car. The car was meant to be driven(they weren't meant to have cruise control--got other cars for that)....The journey is as much ..or more ..than the destination. (I think I saw that on Kung fu 30 yrs. ago)

Steve

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D

me too - the only thing that would make me trailer it would be something big and wet (like an ocean to cross) - otherwise I'd be in with boots on!

Enjoy - that's why you bought it - to drive it. :laugh:

Look at it this way - if you go get it - from seeing it IN THE FLESH as YOUR car to getting the keys and stepping into it - to driving the 1000 miles, to arriving home - the entire journey will be an experience you'll always remember!

Collecting experiences in life is far better than just collecting things.... I dare you to drive it! ;)

S

SUN RA KAT

I drove my Viper 864 miles from Woodhouse Viper in Blair, Nebraska to my home in Centerville, Ohio in one long trip very anally folowing new Viper engine break-in proceedures.

I didn't do it non-stop, however - I stopped for bathroom breaks and several gas stations coming home...

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And whoever complained about their foot getting tired from holding down the pedal for so long without cruise should be driving a vette! ;)

lol - I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it! ;)

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost made that same drive, but my guy ended up bringing it to me in an enclosed trailer for half of the gas money. I jumped on it! If you were a few weeks earlier, he could have just loaded it up and taken it back for you. That drive would be a whip! Fun as Hell, but it would be a beating!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put 500 miles on Sunday, no probs....

Keep on the fluids, check the overflow fascia bottle for coolant, if none get her up to ***** with a turkey baster and your good to go!

If shipping second vote on Fred from Concours, class act and dealing with the owner/operator is reassuring.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't think of a reason not to drive it. I drove mine 900 miles in a day twice, and it was a blast. I did get a speeding ticket, however.

Jim

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Tampa to San Antonio to Ft. Davis earned Chuck the official IRONMAN title last year.

:bowdown:

LOL and Tampa to Road America, three days around the track, then to Des Moines IA then back to Tampa in #34 - race suspension, no A/C, no stereo. Talk about rough.

A 1,000 miles is a walk in the park. LOL

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made the drive 4 times last year - Seattle to Southern California. Once I did 18 hours straight, no problems - just have plenty of CDs along.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960