DUMP CLUTCH AT 5,000 RPMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you on some points, 1 being the fact that the Viper Gts and Rt-10, are more exotic looking than all the factory Porsches. Some of the re-bodied Porsches are pretty wild looking though.

Again Devildogs redneck stupidity shines through with his "eurotrash"mentality.

I agree that Ferrari, is also far behind on the times in terms of performance. I find every new Ferrari, lacking in all areas. Barring the F40, F50 and Enzo, the company doesnt offer much anymore in terms of REAL sportscars.

As for Lamborghinis, well the company is far to small to ever race competitively. Maybe now with the company being owned by Audi, it will have the funds to do so. Ive heard rumours that the factory is trying to enter the new Gallardo and Murcielagos, in the american Lemans series.

As for the Cannonball, well, a year or 2 ago, a bone stock 1995 Diablo Vt, finished 10th, largely due to its inferior brakes. Every car it lost to, was heavily modified, some driven by pro drivers. A few years before that, another bone stock Diablo SV, exactly like mine, finished second to a fully prepped Mosler race car, and only narrowly missed being first.

Lamborghini is far superior to Ferrari when it comes to streetcars, unfortunately due to its very small production, it will never have the aftermarket support that the Viper will. Hopefully all this will change.

homesite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking on getting a Lambo before I decided on a SRT. The Lambo is extremely unreliable and requires a lot of maintenance. Goes through clutches like changing the oil. If you really take a good look at one, you will see the fit and finish is terrible. Built like a kit car. Not here to rag, just giving an observation of a month at looking to buy one.

repete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R&T never got good times with the Viper..they even have trouble breaking...with ABS

and on a side note...with pagani importing to the U.S. soon...there will be no reason to buy the inferior Lambo..even though i like them...

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Homesite, i guess you were looking at early models, because later models have build quality that matches and or betters your Srt. As for them being massively unreliable, well, ive had 3, never had a problem yet, and am currently running up on 30,000 miles in a 1998 Diablo Sv that among other upgrades is running a 150shot of nitrous, and am still on a perfect original clutch. My 87 Countach was at 70,000, with its original clutch.

Repete, i for one love the Pagani, but the biggest reason to buy the inferior Lambo over the Pagani will be the 300,000 difference in price, as i have been looking into purchasing one.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to concur with Allanlambo in fit and finish - every Murcielago and Diablo I've seen is as close to perfect as anyone anywhere has made in that department - they look like they are worth exactly what you pay for.

I had heard of reliability issues - but those should have been sorted out a few years ago. The racing program helped a lot.

Devildog - I like the wing on your car! I also think a Diablo without the wing looks stink and naked :p

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody typed a word about the $hitty build quality of Brit cars, maybe since we Americans love the Brits and are disappointed with our other allies the Germans and the French.

Just something to think about. How well will a Lotus hold up to day after day of punishing "everyday" driving? Not to mention any serious track driving without lots of preparation. All one hears are horror stories about life with Lotus products.

Any car will break. How difficult to repair? I've yet to see anything regarding Vipers that's any harder to fix than a 5.0 Mustang. If you don't turn wrenches yourself, how long will it take to have a dealer or "exotic" shop turn your car around to you?

allanlambo you have some sweet rides, indeed. How about relating some tales of service, maintenance, and repair?

Don't take Devildog's comments personally. Maybe he's just turned off by the gold chain "Mr. T starter kit" image projected by many of the Italian sports car owning set ;)

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many XD50's will be available in the US this year? AND...are they all spoken for? If they wanted to test the ultimate factory Porsche vs. the best Viper, it should have been the comp coupe. In the real world, the test should have been an SRT vs. 911 turbo, without abusing either car to get the numbers. I don't do a 30 second burnout to heat the tires up just to get a .2 second better time so why should anyone dump a clutch at 5000? Only Honda Civic coffee can exhaust pipmle kidz do that (until they learn how much to fix)

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real world maintenence on my Lambos, very short and sweet.

1.1987 Lamborghini Countach, in 13 years, 1 valve adjustment, oil changes, belts changed. THATS IT. When i sold it, it had 70,000 on the clock, on a still good original clutch.

2.1992 Diablo, only had it for 1 year, only oil changes.

3.1998 Diablo Sv, approaching 30,000 miles, oil changes, one leaky right front shock replaced( the car has front jacking system to clear bumps) thats it, car is now 5 years old. I havent even changed the plugs on it yet, and as i said before im also running a 150shot of nos.

Ferraris on the other hand, are more expensive to maintain, due to their use of timing belts, not timing chains which the Lambos use, and Ferrari recommends replacement every 15,000 miles. I have had good luck with most of my Ferraris, except for one Testarossa which was a nightmare. Same holds true for my Lotus, which by the way is a 2000 model with over 50,000 miles on it. It has held up suprisingly well, loads of fun to drive, lots of attention, so far one broken radiator hose, clutch replaced at 40,000, oil changes, plugs, and a broken window replaced from a rock. This is my first experience with a Lotus and i prefer it to the Ferrari 355 Spider i own.

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Allan, no one can claim you don't drive the **** out of them! ;-)

And your page with the car picks is apparently broken or something.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you think these guys are getting 11.5 - 11.9's out of the Z06's. They launch at 4000 rps and replace the clutch more often than I would like to.

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice pics. Tried to get the GF to pose with my SRT and got shot down. Best I could do was get the dog and horses in the pics. I need to get mine in my profile somewhere once I figure out how to do it (or get motivated enough to RTFM and learn how).

Btw, where did you go to get the car pegged out at 220 mph? I had some friends make some "top speed" runs and a muni airport on the runway one time. It seems like 220 would be fast even on an oval track, but I've never driven on one and wouldn't know.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 355 may be slow, but 9 out of 10 people would choose it over your Viper anyday.

Next time your out in your Hennescrewed Viper, drive on down to Arizona, and ill show you whos king.

[/QUOTE]

Allan, your right...9 out of 10 dopes would choose the Ferrari. Most of these people have no clue what they buy. I have a few of these knuckle heads that have bought Modenas , and did they have a shock when they went to service there cars$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Quality I will agree with you that the leather is the only thing better than the Viper interior..Thats about it..get any ferrari you want and ill run you anytime any place..I'm keeping my mouth shut for now, lets say by oct I will be blowing the $hit away out of 90% of this room..When its done im going to unveil what's going on with my Viper..You will see my middle finger flying out of my window when I pass you by and I'll let Moundir tape it all...Beware..Im coming to play soon.......

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sorry backnblack, but the Ferrari interior is far superior to the Vipers. Id say the interior is the Vipers weakest spot.

Im sure you can modify your Viper to blow everyone away. Thats not the point.

Again, im not saying that Ferraris are the fastest, i myself find them lacking and i own one. This discussion is supposed to be about Porsche.

homesite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT interior is far nicer then the cars you own. Your cars are probably worth nothing with the miles you have on them.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Homesite, I wouldn't be dumping on Allans cars. He has a great collection. Especially the SV. We as sport car owners must agree that the Porsche is a great car, which it is, no doubt. But all these European cars have there weakness also. They breakdown alot, service is through the roof, and to modify them to get extra horses you better have abig bank account and don't give a $hit about how much you dump for a few ponies. I had the 911 cabriolet.1988 model which I was very happy about handling and it was a great car overal. But when it came to speed??Noway.Lacked it alot, first gear felt like crap. I won't say anything bad about the Porsche since I like the car alot.But can you imagine if you just throw an additional $60,000 into the Viper what kind of car you can get???A supper car??You can do alot to that 488cubic moter..With the Porsche you can modify it to a point and thats it...ok, you get bigger turbos, gears, blah blah blah..So??How much more you gonna get? overall I rather have the Viper knowing that with some money you can make this car beyond any car thats out there. The Viper cost about $80,000 out the door.throw another $60,000 into it becomes a $140,000 car.Still the total is less then the Porsche and less then the Modena and all exotic cars..

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Homesite, my 97 355 has 7,000 miles, and i can still get 20,000 more for it than a new Srt costs, the Sv is close to buying 2 SRT's, so that is a stupid statement. Even the Lotus with 50,000 on the clock is worth about 45,000.

BackNblack, i agree with some of your statements on the Porsche, but saying that there is only so much you can do to a Porsche is not entirely correct. There are twin Turbo Porsches pushing 1000 rear wheel hp out there, in cars that weigh dramaticly less than a Viper. Also, your talking about your 1988 Porsche, which in todays standards is of course a very weak car, but back in the day was not. If you wanted real speed from a Porsche, you could buy a 1989 930 Turbo, put the same 60,000 into it and have an absolute monster of a Porsche. But in the end, whether you mod a Porsche or Viper, you will end up with better than Supercar performance, but neither will be a Supercar.

I had a Porsche that was modified, 714 rwhp, 2490pds on pump gas. It was a rocket ship and blew away everything, crotch rockets, Venom 650 Vipers with 150 shots, etc. It would destroy my Diablo on spray. Once i bought my Countach, which is dog in comparison, i never drove the Porsche again.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lets not split hairs here. Allan has a very nice collection of cars. Talking about how much he can sell them for is a bit rude. I also do not think comparing a modded car to a stock car is very fair. I can think of a lot of cars that can kick some Viper a$$ for the price of a Viper. Sometimes style is important. If all I wanted was speed, I would not have bought a Viper as there are much faster cars out there. I bought it due to its aggressive looks and ability to mod. But that is just me.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Torquemonster and Allanlambo;

Torqe: I AGREE 100% about Dodge missing an important and factual advertising opportunity. MotorTrends "Speeding" issue showed the Viper kicking ass on every test but the short slalom against anything under what... 150K? The Mosler being in the test, non street-legal, 250+K and cheater slicks made no sense in this competition. The Viper should have been praised as truly amazing for it's 0-60, 60-0 ( 0-60; 97 feet... Best they ever recorded!).

GRIP- the SRT (no elctric Nanny, btw) kicked butt in the ultimate overall test, the "Torture Test Slalom"... only beaten by the Mosler. ***... why can't they say that the Viper SRT RULED over every other car in about every area? The Vette did extremely well too, but is less $$ than the Viper.

Bottom Line: IMAGINE what Dodge could offer us "Street Legal" for the price of a Ferrari... even the lowest priced model! Hmmm, Dodge, give us an SRT with MORE Go-FAST goodies in the 100-110K price range (as an option). Even then, the Viper would be a bargain!

Allanlambo: I love all cars, the Porsche being my favorite non-Viper sports car. There is Magic in the driving experience that you FEEL for your $$. The sound, that front end from behind the wheel, and the ever so confident feeling that you are genetically a part of the Porsche. I have had 5 Porsches. HOWEVER; they ALL spent a lot of time in the shop for costly repairs that just DON'T seem to happen to the Viper. Air-Box Blow-ups, chain tensioners, CLUTCHES. I LOVED the Porsche's, but I couldn't count on them for a 7 hour road trip.

Yes, I can afford the repair work and don't abuse my cars. But calling for a Flat-Bed really bites. For my money and the performance/reliability/looks/REPAIRABILITY, the Viper has gotten my vote (3 Vipers owned, the SRT is the BEST imho).

So, why aren't we writing to these magazines to state our opinions? I am guilty of thinking, but not doing this. Has anyone written the Mags to re-state the facts to these folks with the "blinders" on?

Allan; you do own very fine machines, btw.

Opinion over. I feel better my friends; ALL sports cars are fun, and we should not forget that.

Jim

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: clutch dumoing on turbo Porsche

I used 4500 to dump. The stock TT setup would eat a clutch with that abuse in a day or two.
My pressure plate was from GT-1 and disc from GT-2.No problems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang