EBC Pads don't work?

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: EBC Pads don\'t work?

***? Your only complaint is brake dust. And the complete solution is $150 for new pads on all 4 wheels. JUST BUY A NEW SET OF PADS! Shesh..

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snakeboy:
Folks,

I bought a 97 GTS with 6K miles on it. The car came with EBC pads which I thought was a plus. I now have put 2000 miles on it and have been highly irritated at the brake dust the front wheels get...........Any advice?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We just spoke......Since you have a used car, the pads are likley NOT EBC Green! If EBC Green, yours are "disappointment #000001." [One too many.] Great Brakes WILL warranty the pads, even tho 50% of them are used up. But you also have NO dust at all on the rears, and GREEN EBC clearly visible thru the REAR caliper.

MY BET: Your front pads are NO WAY an EBC-GREEN pad!

Maybe the used car dealer will make good for goodwill alone? But no-way are any pads ever covered by any warranty, esp for dust. However, EBC/GreatBrakes will stand behind them IF they are EBC GREEN. This is a $79 issue......

Wishing you had your NSX back over this issue? PRICELESS !

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snakeboy,

Check your e-mail. Help is on the way!
smile.gif

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snakeboy,
I just switched to the EBC Green because I have a white 96 R/T with the white wheels and hated cleaning them everyday. I contacted Wing King, 1-866-gr8-pads, and he was very helpful with tons of technical info on these pads. He even shipped them, told me to install them and then pay for them...all $145 worth!

The best part is that everything he said about them was very true...very, very little dust (I've gone 2 weeks without cleaning my wheels so far), and much better braking.

They took about 1 hour or so to install as I also put in new fluid. If you only change the pads, I'd expect it to take about 10 min per wheel.

Would you really want to go back to NSX for brake dust?

Bobk898- if you want to install them on your car, let me know and I'd be happy to assist.

Later,

Dave
96 R/T with clean wheels

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

LOVE the EBC Greenstuff pads, JonB...keep them coming as I just helped Charlie put a set on his Red/Yellow 97 GTS...I'll callyou with the order.
bounce.gif

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am awaiting delivery of my GTS, thus far from an authority on the topic you have posted. However, I have driven both the NSX and the Viper and can only say that you will be very pleased with your decision when all is said and done. No contest, the Viper is a far better preformance car in almost every impactful aspect, thus my decision to buy one.

You are correct in that you should get your money's worth by requiring that the dealer make good on their word if the pads are in fact not EBC's or if they are EBC's and simply defective. Having a certified third-party mechanic evaluate the matter will only cost you more time and money (unless you know someone that'll do it w/o fee), thus you are left with trying to get the distributor to go to bat for you or making an investment in new pads.

Also, I have a Volvo C70 as my commuter car and its equipped with 18" BBS mesh wheels with the same **** problem, but I've come to live with the dust and frequent cleanings so long as the brakes don't squeel like a pig and the car stops.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott J:
........you should get your money's worth by requiring that the dealer make good on their word if the pads are in fact not EBC's or if they are EBC's and simply defective.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DEFECTIVE? Not likley !

Until recently, EBC Greens were the ONLY EBC rear pad available. So, folks with EBCs REDS on the front were "forced" to choose a rear Green pad. REDS make 50% more dust than GREENs, but still a lot less than OE or other carb-metal pads. Now, good supplies exist of Red, Yellow, and decent suplies of Blue Front.

When the "Brake Dust Clears" it is good to know that GreatBrakes is backing this inquiry 100%, but my wager is "What's Stopping You" is in fact NOT an EBC-Green.....maybe not even EBC at all.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snakeboy,

Sent me an e-mail for some information on some "Viper friendly" dealerships in the DFW area. I don't know what dealership took two days to perform the work you described, but there are some very very good Viper techs in the area. Let me know if I can help.........Kurt

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Snakeboy,

I don't ungerstand your remark:"...horrible service...with Dodge."

You bought a used car with aftermarket brakes from a schlunk - how is Dodge responsible???

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

There is an EXCELLENT thread in the recent archives on changing your brake pads....especially the 29 photos posted by Brian Denham and tips from several other members!!! Combine this info with factory service manual, and then make your own decision. It does take a few tools. If you are NOT comfortable with this type of work, DON'T do it. There are dealers who should be able to get the job done in less than one half a day (time will lengthen if you need rotor work/replacement...doubt much needed if car has only few thousand miles). I am NOT a mechanic by training, but with good info, good tools and advice from the GREAT folks on this board, I have been able to complete much of routine Viper maintenance without any problems. If you want to "yak", call me.

Steve Fess Sec. Ind/Ky VCA 317-431-1375

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Question, the brake dust does not concern me as much as the squeaking the brakes do when i com to a stop. Do the green pads also stop the squeaking? If so ill order them right now! Theres nothing like owning a awsome viper and coming up to a stop light and it sounds like you need a brake job!

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

that's the beautiful thing about em. no dust and no more annoying squeeks. dealer changed the fronts twice....but no luck. then came the green stuff. voila! i had em on in 1 hour....what a difference.

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I changed mine to the Green stuff pads as well and have seen a considerable reduction in the dust...The best part is the obnoxious squealing is finally gone...

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brake dust?...Why worry about it, it doesn't really show on black wheels! Its difficult with the tire squeal to hear any squeal from the EBC pads, (so just keep your tires squealing if any brake squeal bothers you)! Has anyone experienced smokin' front pads?

You must be registered for see images

laugh.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As far as the EBC greens, I have them as well. They are AWESOME in that they simply do not make noise like every other pad I have tried. It is such a joy to come to a stop without sounding like a Yugo (OK, not quite that bad). That said, these pads are NOT dustless. They definitely generate <u>much</u> less dust that what I previously experienced. However, do not buy them thinking your polished wheels will stay shiny for weeks on end. Rather, you will be cleaning the wheels every 5th or 6th cruise instead of every time you go get gas. A HUGE improvement over stock, but not dustless. <FONT COLOR="green">BUY THESE PADS</FONT c> for the lack of noise - they are worth far more than the price of admission!

Chris

PS. Nadine - LOVE the new avatar, especially with the blue borders you added!

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Nadine...paint yer wheels black if you care so much or use the handbrake!

Does anyone know if the EBC pads work well for STOPPING?

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

After 1500 miles on my test vechicle (97 Z/28 convt) with powder coated wheels I was amazed with the EBC Green so Steve and I installed a set on the Viper. I have Yellow wheels so I sympathize with the white wheel problem noted earlier. Previously 30 miles was enough for the wheels to get pretty nasty looking.
As far as I'm concerned they have given better than advertised performance. They claim 30% better stopping and I have no way to judge that other than seat of the pants but they are noticably better in tha area. The only noise is the first time you touch the brakes if the rotors were wet when the car was parked. What I have noticed that no one else has mentioned is that the dust that does get on the wheels isn't "welded" to the wheels like normal brake dust, it seems to wash off just as easily as the dust on the car. No special wheel cleaner means saving a few bucks and more importantly time spent bent over cleaning wheels
smile.gif
.. IMHO this is a GREAT product.
Thanks Steve (for expert help changing the pads at Z-Viper central) and thanks Jon B for the great service.
BURNOUT.gif

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve-Indy:
There is an EXCELLENT thread in the recent archives on changing your brake pads....especially the 29 photos posted by Brian Denham and tips from several other members!!! Combine this info with factory service manual, and then make your own decision. It does take a few tools. If you are NOT comfortable with this type of work, DON'T do it. Steve Fess Sec. Ind/Ky VCA 317-431-1375
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad Bryan posted the pictures! I've been diddling on getting the instruction done
frown.gif
We spent a few hours one afternoon putting his EBC pads on. It took a lot longer than normal because we took pictures for the Instructions. If anyone can attest to minimal dust, it will be Bryan..... while I was changing the pads, he was cleaning his wheels - front, back, everywhere..... the wheels were spotless when they went back on his car. The thing that impressed me most was when we went to "bed" the brakes, no squeaking...yes no/minimal dust is great, but getting that annoying squeak gone is worth the price of admission. Dodge needs to put these on Vipers from the factory, just to get rid of the squeaking.