educate me on "caps" to lower my car.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is meant by caps? I've lowerd vehicles in the past and have purchased new springs, shocks/struts.

how do caps work and can i do it myself?

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well like i should have initially.. I googled it.

replaces larger caps. says spring do not have to be removed. does anyone have a DIY illustration?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I just did this. No reason to take pictures or anything, it is straight forward,just hard to find the right spring compressor to fit our springs.

Basically jack one side of your car up
Remove wheel
Remove shock upper and lower bolts
Remove shock
Compress spring with spring compressor till you can remove the upper spring retaining cap and replace with the new spring retaining cap
Decompress spring
Place spring assembly back on the car and place bolts in their holes
Put a jack under that suspension side and compress it so it is holding the weight of the car and tighten the springs bolts down

And done.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would be the right spring compressor to use? do you have any pictures of the right spring compressor?

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been thinking about putting spring caps on my car, but I have one question. What is the reason for putting a jack under the suspension and compress it so it is holding the weight of the car and then tighten the springs bolts down? Why can't the bolts be tightened without the weight of the car on it?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could venture an educated guess but the Wizard told me you must compress the suspension before tightening the shock bolts. My best guess would be to prevent the suspension from moving up and down with bumps if it is tightened uncompressed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC