Engine light -Code Reader

steelskeet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a little help, I have a 2002 GTS FE,I installed smooth tubes and S&B filters this afternoon in the garage.

It all looked good and most of the ice here in Dallas melted so I took her for a spin. Right away I noticed the check engine light was on. So back to the garage. When I installed the filters I unplugged the sensor on the right side of the air box and forgot to plug it back. So I plugged it back in, restarted but the Engine light is still on??

Do I need to buy a code reader to turn off this Engine Light? Do I have to reset the PCM? If I do that then I would have to re-set WOT?

Seems like a lot just to turn off the check engine light....please help.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Dave said, or just drive it some more. After a certain number of "successful" drive trips it will turn off by itself.

Either way make sure your inspection isn't due soon. If you clear the code you also clear the learned stuff, and if the state inspection plugs into your OBD-II, it will see that and fail you.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Dave said, or just drive it some more. After a certain number of "successful" drive trips it will turn off by itself.

Either way make sure your inspection isn't due soon. If you clear the code you also clear the learned stuff, and if the state inspection plugs into your OBD-II, it will see that and fail you.

Since when did clearing a CEL reset the adaptives?

OP
OP
S

steelskeet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to Autozone down the street, the girl working was more then anxious to help. Worked perfect. Thanks for the tip.:2tu:

OP
OP
S

steelskeet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm on a scale of 1-10 she was a 6. She had most of her teeth and could fit in the Viper.

On the girls working at Autozone scale she was a solid 9....way out of my league!

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Clearing the codes may or may not affect the adaptives (i am not sure on these PCMS), but it definately resets the readiness monitors. These are used for the State Inspection in TX. It's been a while but I think there are 5 of them and you can have 2 show up as "not ready" and still pass. Each kind of car is slightly different, but it takes a certian number or start cycles and driving to reset them to ready. I have done it on some cars in as little as 15 miles and others took closer to 50. If anyone local ever wants to check theirs my scanner shows them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery