Exhaust Fumes In Passenger Cabin

mTech2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a fully stock 04 vert. With the top and windows up I get an accumulation of exhaust fumes in the passenger cabin. It is especially noticeable under heavy acceleration at which I have to put the windows down. At city driving speeds it take about 5-10 to build up to uncomfortable levels (headache).

I took it to Dodge and they tell me there is no exhaust leak. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this normal?

Thanks!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely never heard of that before. Have you looked at possible culprits like leaky door seals? How about the emissions - are they clean? If you are running really rich, and you have a leaky door seal, it doesn't take much to stink things up.

To check the door seals, turn your vent blower to max with the windows rolled up. I don't know where the verts normally vent cabin air - but if you know that, tape them up. Then go around the door seams with an incense stick (constant source of smoke) and see if air is blowing out. If it is, that's probably your culprit.

Did your tech check to make sure the exhaust manifolds aren't leaking? A leak between the manifold and the engine (blown out gasket, for example) could easily work its way into the cabin.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a fully stock 04 vert. With the top and windows up I get an accumulation of exhaust fumes in the passenger cabin. It is especially noticeable under heavy acceleration at which I have to put the windows down. At city driving speeds it take about 5-10 to build up to uncomfortable levels (headache). I took it to Dodge and they tell me there is no exhaust leak. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this normal? Thanks!

NORMAL? Could 'splain why so many brain-damaged Viper owners around here, MAYBE ?!

HELLL NO its not Normal, and SHAME on the Dodge Dealer who says you dont have a leak. Top and Windows UP, if you get fumes, you probably have a partially blocked cat and/or an exhaust manifold leak... (usually a sputtery-sound accompanies such a leak.)

How many MILES on car? Ever any damage to exhaust? Are you certain its stock? (Used-car-buyers may not know) You can get a CO Button type indicator at any pilot-supply place, and you can buy portable detectors too. Cheap. No mods at all? Cruise Control?

Or It could be as simple as the tip has become misaligned at the sill outlet....and back-flowing along the under-sill door area.

CO is a bad headache, and NOT to be trifled with.....

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do Gen III Vipers have exauster vents like the Gen II Vipers? If so, they would be located on both sides of the trunk. In the Gen II's, the rubber in the vents sometimes deteriorated. If Chuck tator reads this, please jump in. Chuck is the one that told me about the problem when I had it in my Gen II and I had the vents replaced.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having this problem when I turn on the vent, A/C, or heat. Otherwise no smell. I get this only with the top up. This was since the Kooks header package was installed. I don't think it's the headers leaking though.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
mTech2,

Need more info. Clogged cat or cats can produce this. (had this).

Leaky exhaust will cause this too. (had this)

Try running with the AC control set on recirc. This should help.

Also, you may have a torn shifter boot (the rubber one under the leather one). (had this too)

I have had these issues with my 04 SRT - which is modded to hell, so not Dodge's fault.

Dan

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend going to a safety supply store that sales / rents safety equipment such as atmospheric (4 gas) monitors. I'm sure for a small fee or possibly free a place as such would let you use one while on their property. You could test with the windows up and down, a/c on and off, etc...allowing you to determine if you are getting carbon monoxide inside the cabin. Or you can always go to sleep one night in your car while it's running and see if you wake up to tell about it. Don't play with CO!!!