Exhaust installation question, help please :D

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys. My car is up on my lift, and I have the exhaust all connected and ready to go. However, upon fitting the side sills back on, I don't think the tips are aligned correctly. Does anyone have a picture of how the exhaust is supposed to line up exactly? Maybe even give me a slight description? Also, on the Mopar exhaust, does the pipe expand and move back whenever the car heats up? I have heard some people experience this, while some dont.
thanks guys

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly best idea is just to do a test fit...start it up see wher ethey go...turn it off let it cool down and fix them up! Might have to do two or three times!

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys. My car is up on my lift, and I have the exhaust all connected and ready to go. However, upon fitting the side sills back on, I don't think the tips are aligned correctly. Does anyone have a picture of how the exhaust is supposed to line up exactly? Maybe even give me a slight description? Also, on the Mopar exhaust, does the pipe expand and move back whenever the car heats up? I have heard some people experience this, while some dont.
thanks guys

thanks bro.
So you think I should let it heat up and then test? When they are cold where should they be sitting? Also, when they are warm, where should the tips be sitting?
last question, can you post a picture of your side sill when your door is open? For some reason, I don't think mine are aligned correctly, and I want to see exactly how they are supposed to sit inside the door. Something does not look "flush" about my re-install.
thanks

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed the Mopar exhaust on my car about a month ago. Trust me the tips do expand rearward when hot, and quite a bit. I wrapped the mufflers with thermo-tec header wrap and installed Roe Racing's blanket insulation around the whole system, so this might make the tips expand more than if non-insulated, though I'm not sure. You need to have the tips set pretty close to the front of the sill opening when cold so that they don't expand back into the rear of the sill opening when hot, I had to take the sills off a few times to get it right and ended up putting the tips about 3/8" from the front of the sill opening when cold. When hot, the tips still expand all the way to the back of the sill opening but at least do not touch the sill. They don't expand perfectly straight back either and end up a little offset in the sill opening when hot - which is kind of annoying - but the sound and power gain is worth it.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll post a picture within the next few hours but I do have a Corsa not a Mopar exhaust and mine does not look perfect when they are cold but when they get warm they are so perfectly in the middle that I wouldn't change it. Right now to get them dead smack in the middle about 1/8th of an inch of the tip is actaully covered by the side sill. (You'll see in the picture)
Ricky

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's my Mopar Performance exhaust when cold. When hot, it expands exactly to the center of the hole.

You must be registered for see images attach

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Trial and error. I've tried several and they all "grow when hot". There are a few things you can do if needed. But I'd put them a bit forward in the hole, heat 'em up and check 'em out.