Exhaust - no cats or mufflers

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone install the Mopar race exhaust and then just put straight pipes on instead of the Borla mufflers that come with the kit? I assume it would be crazy loud, but just wondering how bad (loud) it would actually be. Would it even sound good (mean)? I put the race exhaust on as is, and really it's just not as loud as I was looking for. The mufflers with the it were much larger than stock.

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No mufflers at all in an SRT-10 is just oppressive. I bought my car that way (still with stock headers and cats), and it just plain wasn't fun at all on the street. I had to wear earplugs any time I was in the car for more than a couple minutes. It was fine when racing but awful everywhere else.

I put a Corsa exhaust on it now, it is a million times better. The db level at idle and part-throttle is way way down, but it's still plenty loud at heavy throttle.

Keep the mufflers, trust me!

viper emil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone install the Mopar race exhaust and then just put straight pipes on instead of the Borla mufflers that come with the kit? I assume it would be crazy loud, but just wondering how bad (loud) it would actually be. Would it even sound good (mean)? I put the race exhaust on as is, and really it's just not as loud as I was looking for. The mufflers with the it were much larger than stock.

actually here is a clip of one of the members running straight pipes instead of mufflers and stock cats

08 Viper SRT :: 08 Viper No Mufflers remix by Malu59RT - Photobucket

I think that sounds like a real muscle car--not high pitched and raspy like the corsa

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a mopar exhaust, im not sure if its a street or race exhaust. I had doug take off two of the cats, i think im going to take it back to him to put complete straight pipes, its just not loud enough for me.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Headers will make the car plenty loud, regardless of the muffler / exhaust pipe set up.

OP
OP
P

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So it seems like I need to try it then. The mufflers with that Mopar race system are pretty darn big and to me just quiet it down too much. Not a nasty enough or deep enough sound. I'm going for it.

Tom