Exhaust

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this question has probably been asked 1000 times. But I need some advice.

I am a new to Viper nation. And I am loving it. 2005 Copperhead.

The sounds is nice but I think it could be better. I was considering buying a Corsa exhaust. I was hoping to retain the stock cats and headers.

Seems like a fairly cost effective way to go.

I assume I would order "CORSA EXHAUST 2003 - 2006 DODGE VIPER SRT-10 14176". It seems the 14174 is the model that works with high flow cats. Is this correct?

Will this purchase assist the cockpit heat. And will it reduce the heat on my side pipes.

Thanks in advance.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would probably do a search. There is quite a bit of information on different exhaust and applications. Some swear by the corsa while others belanger, borla etc.....

I am working on a frined of mines car this Wednesday. He currently has the corsa exhaust and we are installing the high flow cats. Myself I have the belanger set-up complete.

Give Jon a call at partsrack. He's very helpful.
http://partsrack.blastmart.com/customer/home.php

Also if you have not joined VCO, now would be a good time to start. A lot of very helpful and enthusiastic members. We meet often and talk.......what else .........cars and especially Vipers.

Here's the link also.
http://ontario.viperclub.org/

Good luck

Patrick

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think thats the right part #. I also think Corsa is one of the better ones to go with. I just installed my Corsa with RT hi-flow cats. Your best way to beat the heat is to change out to Hiflow cats also. Now I only have the to front Hi flow cats instaed of four. Side sils are ALOT cooler.

Call Jon B at Parts rack. I was going to go with the Corsa with stock cats,but then the Corsa part # for that has a reducer on it to work with stock cats. So if later you decide you still have too much heat, you will have more work to do to add a set of Hi-flow cats. If you buy Hi-flow cats and the Corsa to work with that, then you'll have a full 3" system ,less heat,good sound and no problems as it all bolts up very nicely.
Good luck

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am buying a 04 by Woodhouse, they use stock cats and 2.5 in Corsa Track.
They say it's as cool and not as loud as the 3 in with RTs. I had an 05
that I had put RTs and 3in Track on, it was very loud even with CCI 3 disk
inserts. I ended up with a B&B with cross over, much quieter with a good
rumble. Depends on how loud you want to go, with the 3in Track and RTs at
idle in the garage I could not even talk to a pax. I will let you know what
the 04 sounds like when it shows up.

Herc :usa:

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my personal preference. The best exhaust sound I've ever heard is with Belanger exhaust along with the headers installed. To me, this is the most beautiful sounding Viper ever. On my previous car, I had only installed the Corsa catback alone and it sounds nice, ofcourse much better than stock. On my current car, I had installed the Corsa catback along with Random tech high flow cats. It sound even better than installing the Corsa alone. Good luck.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They say it's as cool and not as loud as the 3 in with RTs.

How could it be AS COOL?? You have 4 cats instead of 2, and the 2 secondary cats ar right in the sills. Makes for ALOT more heat then a 3" system with only 2 RT cats. The mufflers arent the biggest heat prblem,its the cats.

OP
OP

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am going to call Bob. He seems to be the man around Viper nation.

I am going to join the local chapter of the VCA. I was going to go down to the car show last Wednesday to deliver the cheque. But I couldn't make it. This week is no good either.

So what kind of things can I expect to happen when I join the VCA. How often do you meet? What do you do when you meet. Besides talk shop about cars.

Lots of options.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep us posted cooperhead

Some leave the crossover in. But it seems like removing the cross over would be the way to go. How about the sound, performance, cooling and weight with CO removed vs the CO in with corsa track system.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keep us posted cooperhead

Some leave the crossover in. But it seems like removing the cross over would be the way to go. How about the sound, performance, cooling and weight with CO removed vs the CO in with corsa track system.

You cant leave the CO in when you put in a Corsa. It removes it completely.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right Mike-got my corsa systems mixed up

I see my confusion now-Corsa does make a new exhaust system for 2003-2006 called "SoundScape" that is a straight through design but compatible with factory crossover. They say at crusing speed it is whisper quite?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa does make another system that maintains the cross over. The one that doesnt is the Track system.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They say it's as cool and not as loud as the 3 in with RTs.

How could it be AS COOL?? You have 4 cats instead of 2, and the 2 secondary cats ar right in the sills. Makes for ALOT more heat then a 3" system with only 2 RT cats. The mufflers arent the biggest heat prblem,its the cats.

They told me it was because the cats were bigger than the RT, but I will know
after I get it. The heat prob with my 05 was in the side sill until I went
with the RT and Track. I think the difference was the high flow muffler and
no cross over, not the cats. But like I said, I'll know when it shows up.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Clearly, there are enough members with different systems that we can get a feel for how effective each one is at reducing the heat.

On a scale of 1 (coolest) to 10 (hottest), with 10 being the stock system, how would everyone rate the improvement with:

1) Just Corsa Track cat back system (stock cats)?

1a) How loud is this set up (1 being stock)?

2) Corsa Track system with RT high flow cats?

2a) How loud is this set up (1 being stock)?

I would like to know the answers to the above so that I can decide whether I need to also do the cats, or whether I can get away with keeping them (but still have a sustantial improvement in heat reduction). My concern is that taking out the cats will make it too loud.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Corsa track with 4 cats - HOT - a lot people wouldn't want it much louder than this. - 9

2. Corsa track with 2 stock primary cats - noticeably cooler (but still hot) - have to speak with an elevated volume, and it's loud outside. - 8

3. Corsa track with 2 RT cats 3" pipes - about the same as number 2 with a little more "snarl" - 8

4. Corsa track with no cats all 3" pipe - quite a bit cooler (but still hot) - quite a bit louder inside car, outside the car MUCH louder and a WOT pass will hurt the ears of people in other cars. :) - 7

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not everyone is going to be able to try every option,som each persons opinion on how cool it got will vary.
I first just removed the 2 secondary cats, but didnt notice a big difference in heat. Side sills still very hot. Once I installed Corsa track with RT cats, the heat difference was night and day. The side sills no longer burn your hand if you touch after a long drive. Now they are luke warm to the touch.
I still think the majority of the heat is in the STOCK cats. Once those were out the side sills become cool.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also some cars get a cool little bonus...Flames.

Mike R's car (RT and corsa track)puts out a 2 foot long flame kind of like what you'd see out of a gas torch.

Mine won't do the flame, sometimes I'll get a fire ball but no flame.

I tried to get a video of it but it doesn't really show up with my camera.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, it sounds like the secondary cats need to be replaced nonetheless if you want any appreciable reduction in heat. Which means we should be going for the full 3" system (without the diameter transition for the stock cats). Which Corsa part is that?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go with the RT cats you need a 3" corsa track.

If you choose to keep the stock primary cats and cut out the secondary cats you could run the 2.5" corsa or go with the three inch version and also buy a 3" to 2.5" reducer.

I've never heard the 2.5 inch version, don't know if it sounds any different, I'd bet the 3" version has a deeper tone.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the corsa track without changing the Cats and notice a significant difference in heat. So much so, i dont even notice it any longer at all.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nader, that is promising. It sounds like I could start first with just the 3" cat back system and attempt to keep the stock cats by using a reducer for the diameter change. If that does not keep the heat at bay, then the next step would be to swap out the cats.

But at least it appears that there is some heat improvement with just the corsa system and the sound seems bearable. Why not start there?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott said:"Nader, that is promising. It sounds like I could start first with just the 3" cat back system and attempt to keep the stock cats by using a reducer for the diameter change. If that does not keep the heat at bay, then the next step would be to swap out the cats. But at least it appears that there is some heat improvement with just the corsa system and the sound seems bearable. Why not start there?"

I would say that the above is a good strategy. Although it is, in general, ignored on this site, alteration or replacement of the stock cats for on road use, is not lawful unless the stock cats are defective and/or damaged. Elimination of cats for on road use is never lawful per federal law. In Gen II's it was not unusual to get some cat damage after a while if the engine was modded. This allowed replacement with high flow cats. I do not know if this is the case with Gen III's. I have stock cats with the Corsa track catback on my supercharged SRTC. The sound is deeper and louder but not too loud. As the car has broken in, the sound quality has improved. The heat in the cabin, because of the elimination of the crossover pipes under the passenger compartment, is much, much less than stock. The A/C, even on the hottest days, keeps the car very cool. In fact sometimes I even have to turn it down a bit. Since sound is a completely subjective thing to each Viper owner, I hope that this post helps you. However, I will tell you that for your neighbors stock cats and a Corsa Track catback are, unless you have unusual neighbors or deaf neighbors, about as loud as they would want you to go. Before I get flamed for being considerate, expect a responsive post by someone to the above statement stating that you should ignore your neighbors. LOL.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am perfectly happy with the results from the just the Corsa track. I did the Corsa track with the reducers. I have driven the car all summer long in NY when the temps were hitting 100 degrees and no issues. With the air on in stop and go traffic all was fine as well. The only time the side sills warm up is heat soak after some aggressive driving and the car is turned off. It takes about 15 minutes for the heat from the engine to disapate through the exhaust to the side sills but I think this is a common issue whether you have cats or not. The heat is from the engine when driven aggressively in extreme temps.

With the corsa track, the sidesills are warm to the touch with no chance of burning you upon exit. I burned myself many times with the stock exhaust. It really was no fun.

The corsa is loud enough at full throttle that is scares people. I could only imagine it without cats. I think that would be too loud. If you are interested I have a movie of the sound at idle and revs if you can host it.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 3" Corsa Track with 3" RT cats. It sounded good but a 'tad' too loud. So I inserted (welded-in) the 3" Vortex sound-reducing cones ... better sound, but it felt like I lost power. So I used a dremel and cut off the cone ends to make the initial screen openings about 1" ... feels like a little better power, and good sound (but still louder than stock). I need to dyno the car to see exactly where the power is now ... it was at about 470 rwhp before all the changes.

OP
OP

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats some great advice. Thanks for all the comments.

It sounds like the cat back Corsa with a reducer is the best way to go. I am going to call Partsrack and order one up. I can't wait.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nutritionkgzexoti