Exposed V10's

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I learned this little trick in college. Well, actually kind of just stumbled upon it one night while photographing my own car in my driveway, fiddling around with the camera.

Anyway in low light, with a long open shutter and low ISO (Tri-pod needed of course) I discovered how to shoot a 'see-through' hood. When I upload these to Facebook or Flickr people go crazy wondering if the hoods are really clear but truth is, it's just neat camera trickery WITHOUT the use of photoshop.

So while I was out in Ohio this weekend covering the Mopar Nats, after I finished eating my dinner at the Tilted Kilt I grabbed the tri-pod and started working. I shot Kevan's Aero Coupe first, but when Bob saw what I did with Kevan's car he wanted to do his right away and I'll admit, I was a little nervous and asked him if he REALLY wanted to do it. It's not terribly hard to do, especially with the gen III/IV cars since they have the general 'alligator' style hood and hinges, but on a gen I/II and a $15,000 clamshell hood....there's really only one place to shoot the engine and your limited on time.

I'm PRETTY sure, I'm the first to attempt this.

Anyway check out the outcome below. I also include Kevan and Jaron's SRT vert (which is extensively modded!).

--RS

You must be registered for see images attach

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty cool but I think it looks a little off without using photoshop. You can get the same effect much cleaner with 2 pictures blended with the hood up and closed and it won't look as fake. I think there was 2 yellow vipers that did this same thing awhile back. I remember seeing the pictures posted on the forum there might have been a black one too.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I learned this little trick in college. Well, actually kind of just stumbled upon it one night while photographing my own car in my driveway, fiddling around with the camera.

Anyway in low light, with a long open shutter and low ISO (Tri-pod needed of course) I discovered how to shoot a 'see-through' hood. When I upload these to Facebook or Flickr people go crazy wondering if the hoods are really clear but truth is, it's just neat camera trickery WITHOUT the use of photoshop.

So while I was out in Ohio this weekend covering the Mopar Nats, after I finished eating my dinner at the Tilted Kilt I grabbed the tri-pod and started working. I shot Kevan's Aero Coupe first, but when Bob saw what I did with Kevan's car he wanted to do his right away and I'll admit, I was a little nervous and asked him if he REALLY wanted to do it. It's not terribly hard to do, especially with the gen III/IV cars since they have the general 'alligator' style hood and hinges, but on a gen I/II and a $15,000 clamshell hood....there's really only one place to shoot the engine and your limited on time.

I'm PRETTY sure, I'm the first to attempt this.

Anyway check out the outcome below. I also include Kevan and Jaron's SRT vert (which is extensively modded!).

--RS

I think i know that first car. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960