factory exhaust

ROLFER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey guy i have owned my 1994 rt/10 for about 3 years now. i was wondering if anyone on here could tell me if i have factory cat. and muffler. the input and output are 3" on both the the cat. and muffler. thanks!!

Attachments

• DSCN1126.jpg
    DSCN1126.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN1127.jpg
    DSCN1127.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN1128.jpg
    DSCN1128.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 46

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is all aftermarket. The factory system had a two-bolt flange with gasket to connect the cast manifold to the down pipe. The down pipe was one piece and included the elbow to the cat; your picture looks there is a short adapter to connect the two-bolt flange to a three-bolt flange. I don't think the factory pipe had a flex pipe - although it looks nice! The muffler isn't OEM; I think OEM was offset inlet and outlet. OEM was 2.5" and that looks bigger. How loud is it?

OP
OP
R

ROLFER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i bought the car from a actor in hollywood who i think was a vca member. he did not know much about it so i am trying to figure out what was done to the car. it is not to loud (thankfully because the car would not pass inspection.. they are really strict here in delaware). the car has a aftermarket camshaft, ported and polished heads with roller rockers and headers.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Tom... Not stock. Possibly a stock Cat but nothing else IMO.

I just finished reinstalling the original exhaust on my '94 today. What Tom said plus: the outlet bend is not welded but clamped..., it's 2.5" at muffler side, 3" exit... The flex connection is between the two bolt flange and the first 90deg. bend at the front.

I went back to stock because I need to pass emissions here in NOVA. The catless setup had to go... I also replaced the original insulation, a major PIA.

=J

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's really easy to tell. After driving the car for 10 minutes, open the door and touch the side sills above the Cat. If you skin melts and you scream, it's stock. If you can touch it and actually leave your hand there for a couple seconds (My car won't burn your hand unless racing) and don't scream ... it's aftermarket.

Being that it's a Gen 1 the stock exhaust was described as sounding "like a UPS truck". If it sounds OK then it's aftermarket. My Gen 2 stock exhaust has 2.5" pipe so I imagine that stock Gen 1 with cast iron exhaust manifolds and 50hp less would have puny pipe.

Ted

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Tom... Not stock. Possibly a stock Cat but nothing else IMO.

I just finished reinstalling the original exhaust on my '94 today. What Tom said plus: the outlet bend is not welded but clamped..., it's 2.5" at muffler side, 3" exit... The flex connection is between the two bolt flange and the first 90deg. bend at the front.

I went back to stock because I need to pass emissions here in NOVA. The catless setup had to go... I also replaced the original insulation, a major PIA.

=J
Hey, your OEM exhaust has a flex connection? My '94 came with aftermarket, but even so there was no flex pipe. I always thought Gen 1 didn't get flex pipe because the connection at the manifold could swivel on the large doughnut.

Here's a picture of the manifolds and exhaust pipe, then the cats were cut out and replaced with pipes. No flex... The second image is from Viper Larry Parts. Have to imagine combining the two to get a complete Gen 1 system?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ROLFER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for posting those pics tom!! tator said someone welded 3"pipe on the factory cats. he said i would not notice any difference if i replace them with a aftermarket cat. so i guess i will stick with what i have. it is very nice to see what the factory system looks like.. i always wondered what people were talking about when they said there the side sills get really hot. mine get warm but not burning hot.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I gotta start taking pictures...

I am the second owner of my '94. It came to me with the cats removed. The original owner gave me what he described as the stock exhaust along with tons of viper related goodies.

My stock '94 exhaust: (2.5" pipe) Connected to the manifold is a short pipe with 2 bolt flange that's welded to a braided flex piece (8" +/- long). The flex is welded to a short piece that's welded to a 90deg. bend. The 90 bend has the front mounting pin welded onto it.... The rest is as shown above in your pic Tom.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I gotta start taking pictures...

I am the second owner of my '94. It came to me with the cats removed. The original owner gave me what he described as the stock exhaust along with tons of viper related goodies.

My stock '94 exhaust: (2.5" pipe) Connected to the manifold is a short pipe with 2 bolt flange that's welded to a braided flex piece (8" +/- long). The flex is welded to a short piece that's welded to a 90deg. bend. The 90 bend has the front mounting pin welded onto it.... The rest is as shown above in your pic Tom.

What he said!!! ^^^^^^^^:D