Factory wheels vs competition wheels

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just ordered SSR wheels and Pilot Sport Cups since I wrote the previous post, but still curious to find out how much weight I will be saving. I've noticed that at least a few other members are using the SSRs. Anyone know the weight? I heard they weigh even less than the Forgelines. The HREs and Forgelines look great, but the cost differential was just too much to ignore. Can't believe how inexpensive the SSRs are, so I'll just use them for the track.

I was able to find the weights of the stock tires and the Sport Cups. There is a 30 lb savings right there. I'm guessing that the SSRs must be at leat 40 lbs lighter than the factory 10 spoke boat anchors, but I would love to know the exact numbers. Anbody......???

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The factory rims are all heavier than the custom rims, with the exception of the Copperhead ( sidewinder ) 5 spokes --- they are eight pounds lighter per wheel than the stock rims, and are used by many track rats due to their poundage or lack thereof.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SSR wheels and Pilot Sport Cups will save you 18-19 pounds per corner (yes, 75 pounds of unsprung weight) over the stock wheels and runflats.

I measured the difference on a scales at one point, but can't find where I recorded it.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SSR wheels and Pilot Sport Cups will save you 18-19 pounds per corner (yes, 75 pounds of unsprung weight) over the stock wheels and runflats.

I measured the difference on a scales at one point, but can't find where I recorded it.

Thanks for the info! That's right about what I expected. How has the combo worked for you? I've heard there is a very noticeable difference in handling and performance.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the info! That's right about what I expected. How has the combo worked for you? I've heard there is a very noticeable difference in handling and performance.

There is a noticable difference in handling. So much so, that I am getting SSRs and PS2's in addition to my track SSR's and PSC's so I can take advantage of the reduction in unsprung weight on a daily basis.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I weighed both SSR's and Sport Cups versus my stock Pilots and 10 spokes. Total savings was 53.6 lb. Of that the wheel weight savings was 23.6 lb. Note the measured numbers coincided with the specs fairly close.

That is 18 inch sport cups all around. 295's up front and 345's in back.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark
What size rims did you get and who did you place the order with?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I got 18x11 on the front and 18x13 on the rear. Going with Sport Cup tires, 295 front, 345 rear. Ordered through Jon at Parts Rack. His prices are fantastic. Package includes lug nuts, center caps and valve stems. He also threw in an E-brake relo kit at cost. If I chose to trade in my stock 10 spokes, the wheels will have cost me well under $1000 including the extras, but excluding tires. I'm undecided on whether or not I will keep the stockers. They are in perfect condition and the stock tires still have at least 70% thread left. Jon's trade in value wasn't bad, but I'm sure I could sell them for more if I want to. I'll have to see how the SSRs look on the car before I decide.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I weighed both SSR's and Sport Cups versus my stock Pilots and 10 spokes. Total savings was 53.6 lb. Of that the wheel weight savings was 23.6 lb. Note the measured numbers coincided with the specs fairly close.

Same sizes I went with. I'm planning on running at Pocono again soon. I'll post on the difference I feel at the track. If it isn't too much troble, I'd love to hear your feedback on the subject as well. Any tips on how the handling characteristics may change from the stock set-up?

Thanks for all the info, guys.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was just thinking about your weight numbers above. You say the SSRs were only 23.6 pounds lighter than the factory 10 spokes? Are you sure? Thats less than 6 pounds per wheel difference. Seems like the differential should be a good bit more than that. Maybe the factory wheels aren't as heavy as I thought.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I measured 20.2 and 22 lbs for the SSR's. I never measured the stock wheels separately. Only with tires installed and used the Michelin chart for tire weights to calculate the wheel weights as 26 and 28 lbs (i.e. 6 lbs more per wheel).

The combination was 12 lbs lighter in the front and 15 lbs lighter in the rear for each wheel/tire combo.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess that confirms GR8_ASP's weight caculations. While a 55 lb weight savings is great, I'm surprised it isn't more. Someone said that the factory 5 spoke Sidewinders are 8 lbs lighter than the 10 spokes. If that's true, the sideinders are even lighter than the Forgeline and SSR competition wheels. Could this be right?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the Copperhead / Sidewinder wheels with Michlin NON-RUNFLAT tires on my car. The complete package weights in at 44 lbs less than the stock OEM wheels and tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960