Failed Emissions Testing - CEL Question?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the Viper in for emissions testing. Here in CT, the emissions test consists of plugging into the OBDII computer, no sniff test.

According to the operator, one of the tests involves turning the ignition key to the "On" position (no start) and checking the gauge cluster to make certain the check engine light is on. In my case, the CEL does not come on when the key is in the "on" position. We were debating what exactly does the PCM do in this regard...not sure if the CEL indicator is supposed to be lit when the key is in the on position or not. Frankly, I never noticed. I only notice if it comes on while the engine is running. I believe he can bypass the question if the "No" CEL can be explained i.e. 2001 Viper does not require/support it or something to that affect.

So, is the CEL supposed to be lit with the key in the ON position (engine not running) or not?

I've been to this same test center since I've owned the Viper. I don't recall this ever being a problem but I believe CT upgraded it's testing software since 2 years ago and this may be something new with the CEL.

Thanks.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
reckon the bulb is burned out?

"Usually" all lights come on with the key in the ON position so you can check none of the bulbs are burned out.....
Time to start wrestling with your instrument cluster wiring Tony. :(

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Usually" all lights come on with the key in the ON position so you can check none of the bulbs are burned out.....
Time to start wrestling with your instrument cluster wiring Tony. :(

Not the wiring.

Bulb is not burned out. The reason I know this is because I throw a code Bank 2 too rich. Exhaust leak but different problem. :)

I found the issue, however. I have an SCT tune for my mods. I did tune the Viper since the last emissions test 2 years ago. So I used my SCT handheld to return it to stock. Sure enough, with the stock PCM tune the light works perfectly.

So now the question is what's causing this tune to disrupt the behavior of the CEL when the key is in the ignition on position "not running"? :dunno:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Tony... had our YELLOW/Blue 2001 out yesterday so it's still on the "launch pad" and easy to check.

Ok, turned key on to run-but-not-start position...and, the check engine light goes OUT in 4 seconds (along with most of the other lights)...while seat belt 9which was not buckled) and oil light stayed on.

So my question is: Does your check engine light come on at all?? If it does and goes out shortly...sounds good to me.

Hope that this helps.

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes - the CEL should come on when the key is turned to "On" (but not "Start".) The light should go out in a few seconds (on these cars.) On newer cars, the light stays lit until the car is either started or turned off.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Tony... had our YELLOW/Blue 2001 out yesterday so it's still on the "launch pad" and easy to check.

Ok, turned key on to run-but-not-start position...and, the check engine light goes OUT in 4 seconds (along with most of the other lights)...while seat belt 9which was not buckled) and oil light stayed on.

So my question is: Does your check engine light come on at all?? If it does and goes out shortly...sounds good to me.

Hope that this helps.

Hi Steve, thanks for responding! See my last post as I believe I found the problem. I believe it's the SCT tune I'm using. But yes, now with the PCM returned to stock the CEL operates as you indicated. Not sure what in the SCT tune would cause this but I should be able to pass emissions now.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Tony...Must have missed your post after starting my answer, then leaving keyboard to "test" the Viper.

Glad you're OK...and Happy Spring !!!

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Steve, thanks for responding! See my last post as I believe I found the problem. I believe it's the SCT tune I'm using. But yes, now with the PCM returned to stock the CEL operates as you indicated. Not sure what in the SCT tune would cause this but I should be able to pass emissions now.

You indicated a rich bank condition...your CEL light might be activated by that with a stock tune. I had to lean her out to stop throwing that code for emissions. A slight drawback of a heads/cam car :)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sometimes this happens with tunes and controller aftermarket, its allways for years with all tunes i have seen strange little things like this,some may kill the dome light,some kill the cruise,some activate the traction control light,,ect...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang