Few questions about viper before I order one

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi I have never owned a viper before nor was really interested in them untill this gen V. I really like the design. power, sophistication, interior you name it. Here is finally a car I don't have to modify to enjoy more since it is good as is minus some HREs of course. But here in lies problem. I live in Maryland so it is warm for like 7-8 months and during the winter months it maybe snows like what 3-5 times a year? I want to drive this viper year round. I won't be driving it on weekdays though because I live with in walking distance to my office so this is going to be a weekend car but my only car.

So as I suspected the wide ass tires this car has is as impractical as a bugatti veyron for those who want to drive year round in cold climates. I see pirelli makes a 335 winter tire for a 20 inch rim and they have the front size in all rims 18-20. I wanted to keep the stock sizes of 18 and 19 but it looks like that may not be possible.

I wanted to keep the stock rims with pirelli corsa's for track duty and to put the winter tires on and get HREs with some high performance summer tires but not a corsa or cup tire where I can't drive in the rain or anything like that. I WILL NOT drive this car in the snow but I need it a tire that can withstand below 50 degree temperatures.

I remember seeing on jaylenosgarage for the SRT viper Ralph said he drove from key west to california and he drove through a blizzard. So clearly there must be some cold weather tire combination that is possible to be used on this car. So I would appreciate the help that anyone can give me.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one? Ralph Giles was able to do it, I'm wondering how.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it is the best cold weather car out there. I think it is doable, certainly. I was looking for one as a DD mainly. When it got too cold I was going to buy a ******. But, in reality, it doesn't get that cold in DC much anymore during winter.

Plus, any cold precip I don't drive at all (I work from home).

People may have varying opinions, but I think as long as you aren't hot dogging it, you'll be fine. I wouldn't take it out in extremely cold temps either.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you live in VA. So you are going to experience the same temperatures as me. I'm in montgomery county. So you think with just a high performance summer tire I would be fine? Like right now on the shelby I have winter tires for the cold months and PSS michelins for right now. But as I said, I'm not going to drive it in the snow, I just know for example the good years on the shelby in cold weather were horrible. I don't know how these michelns hold up but that is why I was thinking of a winter or all seasont ire for the viper. I really don't want to waste 5-10k on a ******. Especially when I only need to drive on weekends really since I can walk to work.

But as you saw it got around what 20 degrees or so this past winter? I doubt a summer tire could handle that safely.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unsure what tire Ralph had on, I expect it to be the Pirellis though. They were very caught off guard by the snowstorm (as was the entire area it hit in TX). People DD their Vipers often. Cold weather is much more rare, but still can/has been done. I think one of the early 2008 Viper ACR's was at some function with narrow (or maybe even dually?) snow tires.

There are no cold/winter tires available that will fit stock rims. You will want to get a set specificially for cold weather, I'm thinking. Us < Gen V guys treat the car like its on ice below 50 degrees F (hyperbole, but still).

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in suburban Philly, and I do drive my Viper in the winter, as long as the roads are CLEAR and DRY. My PS2s are like bricks though, so you have to be VERY VERY careful (I have a 2003). Heck, even last week, temp was 59, and I stomped on it in 2nd, and my rear end kicked a bit! On the Gen V, you will have traction control, but this is not really a great cold weather car.

And certainly NOT in snow, no matter what tires. Hell, my 220 hp Grand Marquis absolutely SUCKED in the snow, so imagine the Viper! So, I bought a new Dart (1.4L Turbo, 6speed) now for my daily, and it did great in the snow.

I also have an SRT8 Charger, and needless to say, I don't drive that in the snow either.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I'll never drive the viper in the snow and it is easily avoidable since it only snows 2-5x a year in this area. But the temperatures do get to around 20 degrees I think was the lowest this past summer for like one day. The majority of the time it was around 30 and higher. It only got to 20s on the 4x it snowed this past winter and it was like 1 inch of snow each time.

But I'm wondering if there is any all season or winter tire that works with stock rims. I really don't want to use HREs as my winter set up lol. And if I can avoid it I don't want to have 3 sets of rims as in the OEM ones for track say, HREs for summer, and some random 3rd party rim like forgestar or something for winter.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the time you would find rims and tires that would fit, you will have spent the same amount on a used Toyota or Honda ******. Dont' take this the wrong way, but if you can afford 6 figures for this new car, you can afford to by a ****** to use for hacking around.

There are some places you do NOT want to take this car, or park it. It isn't like driving a 'Vette, or any other sports car. The attention it draws is sometimes not the type of attention you want. Trust ALL of us on this.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've driven my 04 in all kinds of conditions without any problems. It had brand new PSS tires on it when I got it and they've really surprised me. Got caught in rain driving it home and it did just fine. Have driven it through some pretty heavy rain to work and back wihtout any issues either. Bought it in early January and have driven it near daily since then. I live in Kansas, so I've seen 20-100 degrees already this year. I kept it garaged when we got our crazy snowstorms this year, but I did get caught in a flurry on the way home once and it was fine (pretty light snow though, more like misty rain). The temperature doesn't really seem to make that much of a difference if you're just driving the car normally (at least on the PSS is seems that way, haven't tried any other tires myself).

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^This. Plus, its not sure snow u need to worry about. Given the tire size I'm guessing its not great in the rain either and that happens a lot more than a few times annually. Very unrealistic daily and this coming from a guy who daily drives a Maserati:omg:

I too need a ****** now that I'm Mr. multiple rear wheel drive. I like the new Ram 1500...

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My PS2s are OK are fine in the rain. I've driven though some pretty heavy stuff. It's the cold that really has an effect on them, coupled with the massive amount of torque. My 03 has "only" (LOL) 525 lb ft, so imagine what 600 lb ft will have to offer!

SRTViper, with your Shelby, I'm sure that you know how to drive hi=po cars, but a Viper cannot be your only driver, unless you live in South Beach!

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My PS2s are OK are fine in the rain. I've driven though some pretty heavy stuff. It's the cold that really has an effect on them, coupled with the massive amount of torque. My 03 has "only" (LOL) 525 lb ft, so imagine what 600 lb ft will have to offer!

SRTViper, with your Shelby, I'm sure that you know how to drive hi=po cars, but a Viper cannot be your only driver, unless you live in South Beach!

Even for a car I'm only going to drive on weekends? I'm not worried about rain. The shelby with the PSS tires handle just fine in the rain cold or warm and I have 315s. It is only cold weather I am concerned about. I'm going to test the PSS in 30 degrees when we get back into winter. I don't see why this can't be a DD weekend car. Like I said the key thing is this car is going to be driven on weekends. Where is a place though I would not want to park the car?

I need to learn about owning a viper lol please people educate me.

People told me I can't have a shelby as a DD I just laughed at them and I drive my shelby 7 days a week all year round no problem. Granted the viper is different but that is why I'm not getting it till I move to my new condo that is 2 blocks down from my office so I can walk to work and only drive the viper on weekends.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The cold is not an issue, IF you are VERY careful, even with traction control. That being said, I've had a couple pucker-factor moments though. As for parking it, just thing about any expensive, flashy car (F458, P911, Maserati, etc), and think of the attention they get. The Viper gets the same, and sometimes more. Do you really want to run to Wawa or Walmart, or the grocery store on a busy Saturday, with the minivans and uncaring drivers and parkers? To each his own, but something to think about.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cold is not an issue, IF you are VERY careful, even with traction control. That being said, I've had a couple pucker-factor moments though. As for parking it, just thing about any expensive, flashy car (F458, P911, Maserati, etc), and think of the attention they get. The Viper gets the same, and sometimes more. Do you really want to run to Wawa or Walmart, or the grocery store on a busy Saturday, with the minivans and uncaring drivers and parkers? To each his own, but something to think about.

Well when I need groceries I'll go in the girlfriends car lol. But as far as a CVS walmat or whatever it's pretty much the same as the shelby. I mean my area has a lot of nice cars in it so the people who truly like will come talk to me which I'm use to by now (sometimes it gets annoying) and to others they just think "oh another over priced sports car". Plus a lot of times it helps because I park in the way back. Originally I wanted to get the viper in red with the sepia interior but because I don't want to be as flashy and get this attention as you are pointing out I'm thinking maybe I'll go that dark metalic grey with gunmetal stripes and the sepia interior.

But the attention and parking issues I can deal with fine, my main problem was the cold thing. But if the tires can handle it if I am careful then fine. I am looking into a used 911 turbo s, new/ used GTR, c7 zr1, and this viper. One of these 4 will be my next car. I prefer the viper over all of them because the viper I don't have to modify and is the most unique so I want to make it work.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well when I need groceries I'll go in the girlfriends car lol. But as far as a CVS walmat or whatever it's pretty much the same as the shelby. I mean my area has a lot of nice cars in it so the people who truly like will come talk to me which I'm use to by now (sometimes it gets annoying) and to others they just think "oh another over priced sports car". Plus a lot of times it helps because I park in the way back. Originally I wanted to get the viper in red with the sepia interior but because I don't want to be as flashy and get this attention as you are pointing out I'm thinking maybe I'll go that dark metalic grey with gunmetal stripes and the sepia interior.

But the attention and parking issues I can deal with fine, my main problem was the cold thing. But if the tires can handle it if I am careful then fine. I am looking into a used 911 turbo s, new/ used GTR, c7 zr1, and this viper. One of these 4 will be my next car. I prefer the viper over all of them because the viper I don't have to modify and is the most unique so I want to make it work.

The Viper over ANY of them. Go for it, and good luck. Since you are in Maryland, we may meet, since I participate in events with the Maryland/DE chapter. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Good luck, and order one soon! I wish I were in a financial position to do so, but I ain't!

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not dive any Vipers in the snow or rain if you can avoid it.The only safe way to drive a Viper is on dry roads and make sure you are point straight with a lot of room when you get on it.If not,it will come around on you for sure. Get a ******,for regular driving,it,s your life and your Viper. Exp./Own 3 Snakes,again,it is not safe...

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is safe (in rain and/or cold) IF you drive carefully. Dont' "get on it" or do anything stupid. THEN it would be unsafe! Snow is another story.

Bottom line, as long as you have another means of transportation when you need to go somewhere, uh, less than savory, or when it snows, you'll be fine.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm able to drive my GenII in the winter in freezing/cold temps. I drove it in flurries. It's fine but must be respected. In snow, its completely useless. I'm using PS2's. I don't recommend it but its doable. If I can do it with my GenII without nannies then I think the GenV will be fine for you.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm able to drive my GenII in the winter in freezing/cold temps. I drove it in flurries. It's fine but must be respected. In snow, its completely useless. I'm using PS2's. I don't recommend it but its doable. If I can do it with my GenII without nannies then I think the GenV will be fine for you.

Me too. I think all of you are forgetting your previous vipers don't have TC or stability control which is why I never bought a viper. I like the nannies since I am not a confident enough driver to drive these cars on the street without them. If those with michelins PS2s are able to drive in 20 degree weather with rain (I'll ignore snow because I won't drive this car in any type of snow or flurry period) I may be able to just drive on the HREs I want to get year round and not worry about a winter or all season tire. I will test my PSS on my shelby this winter. If it can't be done so far it looks like the best option is to get 20 inch forgelines 19 inch front and get the 335 for the rear and a 295 for the front (I believe stock size in front is 295). That way my speedo won't be way off either. Hopefully in the coming 1-2 years before I get this car since I hear already there is a 6 month lag to even have an order processed than another 7-8 months for it to be built so I don't mind waiting, perhaps a wider tire in a 19 inch size will become available so I can use 18 and 19 like OEM. I want to stick with OEM sizes on this car.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If anything with the new traction control the car should work even better in all conditions. Factories put tons of time into testing in inclement weather. The new Vettes come to mind. They drove the C5's and 6's through all kinds of snow when they were developing the traction control systems for them. The cars won't melt and instantly crash in rain and cold, they're made to survive and all of them go through a hurricane style rain tunnel at the end of the production line to check for leaks. The gen 1 was obviously not designed for rain (ask my mom how she knows), but they've come a long way since then.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anything with the new traction control the car should work even better in all conditions. Factories put tons of time into testing in inclement weather. The new Vettes come to mind. They drove the C5's and 6's through all kinds of snow when they were developing the traction control systems for them. The cars won't melt and instantly crash in rain and cold, they're made to survive and all of them go through a hurricane style rain tunnel at the end of the production line to check for leaks. The gen 1 was obviously not designed for rain (ask my mom how she knows), but they've come a long way since then.

So would you think a pirella p zero tire would be good enough in 20-100 degree weather with rain? Or should I have a winter set up in which it would have to be on 20s and be 295 front and 335 rear pirelle sottozero series 2 winter tires. I would put michelin PSS but they don't come in 355. And the p zero corsa that comes with the track pack I really can't use in rain since it is almost R compound I believe like the michelin sport cup tire. So I would just get the OEM regular p zeros to put on my HREs.

Could get the sport cup tire in a 345 but again same crap as the p zero corsa where I can't drive it in any rain. So if I could swing it I could keep the OEM wheel with p zero corsa as a track wheel or sell them. And get a set of HREs with regular p zero's in OEM sizes and a set of forgestars with pirelli sottozero in 335 and 295 in 20s for winter if the pirelli p zero can't withstand 20 degrees and rain.

Last edited:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well you'll have plenty of time to get a game plan together. Not sure if you're aware of the delays, but if you ordered one today, my guess is 1/2 year to one year before u see it.....

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So would you think a pirella p zero tire would be good enough in 20-100 degree weather with rain? Or should I have a winter set up in which it would have to be on 20s and be 295 front and 335 rear pirelle sottozero series 2 winter tires. I would put michelin PSS but they don't come in 355. And the p zero corsa that comes with the track pack I really can't use in rain since it is almost R compound I believe like the michelin sport cup tire. So I would just get the OEM regular p zeros to put on my HREs.

Could get the sport cup tire in a 345 but again same crap as the p zero corsa where I can't drive it in any rain. So if I could swing it I could keep the OEM wheel with p zero corsa as a track wheel or sell them. And get a set of HREs with regular p zero's in OEM sizes and a set of forgestars with pirelli sottozero in 335 and 295 in 20s for winter if the pirelli p zero can't withstand 20 degrees and rain.

Michelin PSS do come in 345-30-19 for the back and either 275-35-18 or 285-35-18 for the front. All would fit on stock rims

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin PSS do come in 345-30-19 for the back and either 275-35-18 or 285-35-18 for the front. All would fit on stock rims

Oh they do now? Strange I didn't see it on their website. Only saw the sport cup go up to 345. But would the michelin PSS give a better ride and traction than the pirelli p zero (not the corsa) even though it is not as wide?

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well you'll have plenty of time to get a game plan together. Not sure if you're aware of the delays, but if you ordered one today, my guess is 1/2 year to one year before u see it.....

Thats why I said 1-2 years lol. Most likely 2 years. Gives me time to see what the new zr1 will be like.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah in 2 years it'll prolly be stale to me(some guys on here already feel it is now and they don't have the car yet lol) In two years I wanna get into the Gallardo successor in spyder form...corvette to me isn't special. not just saying that as I owned a C6 vert. I understand that the ZR1 is a performance machine but it looks so similar to the mass produced dime a dozen base that it ruins it for me.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah in 2 years it'll prolly be stale to me(some guys on here already feel it is now and they don't have the car yet lol) In two years I wanna get into the Gallardo successor in spyder form...corvette to me isn't special. not just saying that as I owned a C6 vert. I understand that the ZR1 is a performance machine but it looks so similar to the mass produced dime a dozen base that it ruins it for me.

This is my problem too with the zr1. Unfortunately the viper is as expensive a car as I can afford at this time. Well I should say comfortably afford. Maybe in a few more years, though I'm still pretty sure I'll be the youngest viper owner in my area and probably most others so its not bad.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I drove one of my Vipers in the snow, the thing that would worry me the most is the 5,000 or so morons I'd encounter who can't drive worth a crap and are probably texting and sending snow pics to their friends at the same time. :p

So I'd have to vote "buy a ******" too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang