Few questions about viper before I order one

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
So would you think a pirella p zero tire would be good enough in 20-100 degree weather with rain? Or should I have a winter set up in which it would have to be on 20s and be 295 front and 335 rear pirelle sottozero series 2 winter tires. I would put michelin PSS but they don't come in 355. And the p zero corsa that comes with the track pack I really can't use in rain since it is almost R compound I believe like the michelin sport cup tire. So I would just get the OEM regular p zeros to put on my HREs.

Not sure how much it compares, but I know some Jags used to come with P Zero tires on them, and I don't think there were any weather concerns with those. I know the 98 XJR my parents had used them as stock equipment and they were moderately wide (285 maybe?). Not really the same class as the Viper, but you get the idea. You could probably put the old Gen 3/4 345's on the back as well without hurting anything. Wouldn't think the slight reduction in tread width would be that big a deal.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I drove one of my Vipers in the snow, the thing that would worry me the most is the 5,000 or so morons I'd encounter who can't drive worth a crap and are probably texting and sending snow pics to their friends at the same time. :p

So I'd have to vote "buy a ******" too.

I don't want to drive it in the snow. I want to drive it in the cold and be able to drive it in the rain when its cold if I have to

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how much it compares, but I know some Jags used to come with P Zero tires on them, and I don't think there were any weather concerns with those. I know the 98 XJR my parents had used them as stock equipment and they were moderately wide (285 maybe?). Not really the same class as the Viper, but you get the idea. You could probably put the old Gen 3/4 345's on the back as well without hurting anything. Wouldn't think the slight reduction in tread width would be that big a deal.

Yea I don't think 345 or even a 335 will make too much of a difference. With one my speedo will be off .5 with the 335 my speedo will be off 1 mph. So its not such a big deal. And when it is cold like 20 degrees even with winter tires I never get on the car really.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't want to drive it in the snow. I want to drive it in the cold and be able to drive it in the rain when its cold if I have to

I think Vipers drive fine in rain and in colder weather. But a lot of guys don't like them in those conditions.

There's definitely less room for error in these cars when it's cold or wet. If you know your limits and the car's limits, an occasional drive in cold or wet weather shouldn't be that big a deal.

I think it comes down to each person's comfort level, and how well they understand these limits.

Traction control may help some, but it won't completely tame the Viper. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more wrecked Gen 5 cars than other generations; I think a lot of guys will end up taking greater risks due to overconfidence that comes from driving with TC.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Vipers drive fine in rain and in colder weather. But a lot of guys don't like them in those conditions.

There's definitely less room for error in these cars when it's cold or wet. If you know your limits and the car's limits, an occasional drive in cold or wet weather shouldn't be that big a deal.

I think it comes down to each person's comfort level, and how well they understand these limits.

Traction control may help some, but it won't completely tame the Viper. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more wrecked Gen 5 cars than other generations; I think a lot of guys will end up taking greater risks due to overconfidence that comes from driving with TC.

Well it looks like I can run stock wheels with the corsa's during summer and a set of HREs with winter pirellis in the cold. Since I don't want to spend 4k every time I want new tires I'm hoping the michelin PSS tire will be available in 18 by then for the OEM size in 2 years. Or if an all season tire was made big enough I'd just get that and put them on a set of HREs. This wide rear tire is really a pain in the damn ass.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have pics of the mules doing high altitude cold weather snow testing here in the Rockies. I know they had different rims on them and 18" sidewinder ACR rims on them in the rear with snow tires and a totally different rim on the front with different tires. I think it was 18" but not for sure. I think they were either Pirelli ice tires or Bridgestone blizzacks. Anyway, the main point is, yes they can drive this in the cold and snow safely. Seen it with my own eyes, though if it was me I would pony up the extra cash and by a used Jeep ****** for winter. Might even be cheaper to rent a car for the winter from Hertz. On a month to month rental. Might only be $300 a month.

I will look at the pics and see if I can tell. I may even load up the pics this weekend. I wouldn't let the cold weather deter you.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Bingo, I think people tend to misunderstand traction control. I don't see it as a failsafe, I see it more as a warning. If you creep up on the limits of the car traction control lets you know you went too far. If you just mash the gas and expect it to tame the car you're in for a bad time. You can only do so much to get a vehicle back under control. If you throw it sideways at high speeds there's just too much inertia for any amount of independent wheel braking to reign the car back in and straighten it up. There's a difference between agressive driving and stupid driving.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have pics of the mules doing high altitude cold weather snow testing here in the Rockies. I know they had different rims on them and 18" sidewinder ACR rims on them in the rear with snow tires and a totally different rim on the front with different tires. I think it was 18" but not for sure. I think they were either Pirelli ice tires or Bridgestone blizzacks. Anyway, the main point is, yes they can drive this in the cold and snow safely. Seen it with my own eyes, though if it was me I would pony up the extra cash and by a used Jeep ****** for winter. Might even be cheaper to rent a car for the winter from Hertz. On a month to month rental. Might only be $300 a month.

I will look at the pics and see if I can tell. I may even load up the pics this weekend. I wouldn't let the cold weather deter you.

Yea post the pics up. I'm not looking to drive it in the snow just 20 degree weather as I have said countless times before but it would be interesting to see what they are using.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
With the crazy weather we've had in Kansas this year I've driven it to work when it was 30 in the morning and then back home in 80 degree weather, lol.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the crazy weather we've had in Kansas this year I've driven it to work when it was 30 in the morning and then back home in 80 degree weather, lol.

On the corsa's? For the new viper?

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get another set of rims and SottoZeros. It will be respectable in the cold weather, slick roads and snowy conditions another story.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get another set of rims and SottoZeros. It will be respectable in the cold weather, slick roads and snowy conditions another story.

Yea this is what it seems I may do. I really wanted to use HREs for summer on the corsas and stock for winter sottozeros but that won't seem to work will have to do it the opposite way.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
On the corsa's? For the new viper?

No, on PSS tires on my 04. They seem to be a really good all around tire if you can find them in a size that would fit the stock rims okay. Worst case you might be able to just pick up a set of older gen 3/4 wheels and use those for "inclement weather" wheels, assuming the different offset won't interfere with anything.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my 08 acr across 100 miles of Texas during a rain storm so bad I could see out the windshield and had to pull over. It had very worn cup tires at the time. But, just because you can do something doesn't always make it a good idea. :). I have nittos on it for the street now and have no problems driving in the rain. I've done it many times.

The snow is a different animal. You will need much skinnier tires to navigate any amount of sticking snow fall. It never snows here but if it did I would try it. :)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I found out the 2000 XKR I had was utterly worthless in the snow, lol. Nitto 555's, 285 wide on the rear and the traction control light was pretty much on the whole way to work. It actually drove better in the grass than the road. Tried to make turn into company parking drive and just slid. Was trying to 3 point turn but wasn't having any luck and there was a trash truck coming down the road at me. I just hopped the curb onto our grass lawn to get out of its way, lol. Didn't have any problems on snowy grass for whatever reason.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my 08 acr across 100 miles of Texas during a rain storm so bad I could see out the windshield and had to pull over. It had very worn cup tires at the time. But, just because you can do something doesn't always make it a good idea. :). I have nittos on it for the street now and have no problems driving in the rain. I've done it many times.

The snow is a different animal. You will need much skinnier tires to navigate any amount of sticking snow fall. It never snows here but if it did I would try it. :)

If you are looking at snowy/cold conditions, you must get a tire that is rated to a lower (sub freezing) temperature. It's not just the tread design that matters, but the compound as well.

MPSCs feel like driving on hockey pucks when it is just above freezing, they take forever to warm up (trust me on this one). Also, MPSCs are not allowed to be stored below freezing temperatures either so I'm guessing driving on them in sub zero is crazy, with snow on the ground is suicide. Summer high performance tires do not work in the snow, the compound will be extremely hard and the tread will likely not clear snow from the tire. Got caught out in a freak snowstorm with Bridgestones RE030s on my Acura 6 years ago and it was the same story, less than half and inch of snow and the car could barely move/steer/brake.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are looking at snowy/cold conditions, you must get a tire that is rated to a lower (sub freezing) temperature. It's not just the tread design that matters, but the compound as well.

MPSCs feel like driving on hockey pucks when it is just above freezing, they take forever to warm up (trust me on this one). Also, MPSCs are not allowed to be stored below freezing temperatures either so I'm guessing driving on them in sub zero is crazy, with snow on the ground is suicide. Summer high performance tires do not work in the snow, the compound will be extremely hard and the tread will likely not clear snow from the tire. Got caught out in a freak snowstorm with Bridgestones RE030s on my Acura 6 years ago and it was the same story, less than half and inch of snow and the car could barely move/steer/brake.

I get it. I've lived in snowy places before. But, I would submit that snow rated tires or not 335s or bigger are not going to be fun. I would try to come up with something much skinnier in snow rated tire if I was serious about driving on the snow.

OP said:

It looks like the OP is really only interested in rain and cold. The nittos are a great tire for rain and cold weather. They have much more stick in any start up condition I've ever encountered than a cup tire and probably more than the regular pilots too. I often leave my house in the winter around here and it's in the 40's and drizzling and the nittos are not slippery at all compared to the Michelins. I would have to pretty much coast through corners and barely touch the gas in the Michelins. The nittos I can drive fairly normally. It was a huge difference when I first changed them. Also, even going straight on cold pavement the nittos have much more grip then any Michelin pilot I have ever tried in any car, ymmv.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get it. I've lived in snowy places before. But, I would submit that snow rated tires or not 335s or bigger are not going to be fun. I would try to come up with something much skinnier in snow rated tire if I was serious about driving on the snow.

[/COLOR]

It looks like the OP is really only interested in rain and cold. The nittos are a great tire for rain and cold weather. They have much more stick in any start up condition I've ever encountered than a cup tire and probably more than the regular pilots too. I often leave my house in the winter around here and it's in the 40's and drizzling and the nittos are not slippery at all compared to the Michelins. I would have to pretty much coast through corners and barely touch the gas in the Michelins. The nittos I can drive fairly normally. It was a huge difference when I first changed them. Also, even going straight on cold pavement the nittos have much more grip then any Michelin pilot I have ever tried in any car, ymmv.

Which Nitto? You are saying a drag radial is good in the cold and rain? Does the Nitto come in a 295/18 front and at least 345/19 rear?

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I am guessing you are talking about the INVO since it is the only tire that is street and appears to be rated for wet performance. Isn't this a summer only tire? They have a 295/35/18 and a 345/30/19 rear. So would these fit on the track pack wheels? Can this tire be driven in 20 degree weather and raining?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Pretty sure every tire you'll find that's designed for a Viper will carry the "Summer Performance" rating. In the long run that's what they're really designed for, but several work fairly well in multiple weather conditions (aside from snow), even though they don't specifically state that. Unfortunately you're probably best off just picking one and trying it. See what you can get in the sizes you need and go for it. Sounds like some people have had good luck with the Invo's. I think I've heard both sides of the story on them. I've had good with luck with the PSS's myself. I think the PS2's are probably less cold friendly since the Viper spec uses the PSC compound. From what I've heard the PSS isn't the stickier compound, so it might be a little better in colder weather.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I am guessing you are talking about the INVO since it is the only tire that is street and appears to be rated for wet performance. Isn't this a summer only tire? They have a 295/35/18 and a 345/30/19 rear. So would these fit on the track pack wheels? Can this tire be driven in 20 degree weather and raining?

I have Invo's on my daily driver and they're an ok tire. Not great, not terrible. It's a 375 rwhp G8 GT with 285/35/19s in the rear and during the first 5k miles of life they hold up great. After that they lose their grip and will spin easily from a stop. With the power the Viper is making I cannot see, even with a wider tire, how the Invo's would hold up to WOT in first gear at all even when brand new.

For your question about temp, I've driven with them at freezing, but they get hard and are even easier to spin than when it's warm. I have all season rims/tires I switch to for the winter. In rain they are a great tire, I've never had any issues.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So as I suspected the wide ass tires this car has is as impractical as a bugatti veyron for those who want to drive year round in cold climates. I see pirelli makes a 335 winter tire for a 20 inch rim and they have the front size in all rims 18-20. I wanted to keep the stock sizes of 18 and 19 but it looks like that may not be possible.

Would you really want to expose those nice rims to the salt and brine they spray on the roads in the winter? I wouldn't...

I wanted to keep the stock rims with pirelli corsa's for track duty and to put the winter tires on and get HREs with some high performance summer tires but not a corsa or cup tire where I can't drive in the rain or anything like that. I WILL NOT drive this car in the snow but I need it a tire that can withstand below 50 degree temperatures.

Need I remind you what happens when the weather is at or near freezing and you have slight precipitation? A guy already lost his life because he did not realize just how steep the traction falloff is with cold weather. Any "summer" compound tire is going to have crap traction in cold weather. Mix that with a light dusting of rain or a snow flurry and it's like you're riding on a sheet of ice. TCS and ESC will not compensate for this...in fact you're probably better not using these things if you are caught driving in snow/ice/freezing conditions.

I remember seeing on jaylenosgarage for the SRT viper Ralph said he drove from key west to california and he drove through a blizzard. So clearly there must be some cold weather tire combination that is possible to be used on this car. So I would appreciate the help that anyone can give me.

If you are intent on driving in bad weather then you would probably do well to pick up new set of tires and wheels for that purpose. I've always had good luck with Hankook Icebear W300 snow tires as they are available in sizes for sports cars. Not sure if they make a direct fit for the viper but you could get pretty close. You do not necessarily need the full-width on snow tires - 275s or 285s are fine.

The best thing you can do is not drive the car in weather conditions that are not ideal... just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. You'd not only be risking yourself, you'd be putting other drivers at risk.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you really want to expose those nice rims to the salt and brine they spray on the roads in the winter? I wouldn't...

Need I remind you what happens when the weather is at or near freezing and you have slight precipitation? A guy already lost his life because he did not realize just how steep the traction falloff is with cold weather. Any "summer" compound tire is going to have crap traction in cold weather. Mix that with a light dusting of rain or a snow flurry and it's like you're riding on a sheet of ice. TCS and ESC will not compensate for this...in fact you're probably better not using these things if you are caught driving in snow/ice/freezing conditions.

If you are intent on driving in bad weather then you would probably do well to pick up new set of tires and wheels for that purpose. I've always had good luck with Hankook Icebear W300 snow tires as they are available in sizes for sports cars. Not sure if they make a direct fit for the viper but you could get pretty close. You do not necessarily need the full-width on snow tires - 275s or 285s are fine.

The best thing you can do is not drive the car in weather conditions that are not ideal... just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. You'd not only be risking yourself, you'd be putting other drivers at risk.

Yea people said that about the shelby and I drove it in snow with Pirelli sottizeros. I don't even want this in the snow just in the cold. So far it seems the only alternative is to put pirelli sottizeros 335s in 20s on my HREs and run stock for summer. I wanted to see if I could do it the opposite since I really couldn't care less for stock rims but right now it seems impossible. Also I don't want to run the corsa during summer when the tread runs out since 4000 a tire change is expensive. Rather run a PSS tire

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't do 285s in the rear since the speedo would be way way off. Smallest I can go is 335

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea people said that about the shelby and I drove it in snow with Pirelli sottizeros. I don't even want this in the snow just in the cold. So far it seems the only alternative is to put pirelli sottizeros 335s in 20s on my HREs and run stock for summer. I wanted to see if I could do it the opposite since I really couldn't care less for stock rims but right now it seems impossible. Also I don't want to run the corsa during summer when the tread runs out since 4000 a tire change is expensive. Rather run a PSS tire
What's wrong with the stock rims? not your style?

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be fooled.. The MI boys from SRT put winter tires on their Vipers in winter. Duh!

Yea it looks like stock set up will be summer and winter set up will be HREs with sottozero tires in 295 front and 335 rear. And when the tread from the corsa's run out I will run regular p zero tires or switch to michelin PSS or cup tires and run 295 front 345 rear because I'm not paying 4k a tire change, no way.