First Little Outing in my GTS... What a Frikin Mess

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it's sunny here today, blue sky, 70s, the street sweeper did my neighborhood the other day... Had the stripes installed last weekend... Gave her a wash and tried out the Turbo Wax sample from Tito... Car's looking great :drive: I drive 15 miles to my sister's house and take my 15 year old Godson and my Brother-in law for a ride and head home...

Now in NJ for a collector car you first need to register your car normally and then apply for a collector status voucher which limits you to 3k per year and inspection is only visual and they only verify the odometer reading every two years. I also sent for personalized plates. So i have my collector voucher and the stub for my new plates but no new plates yet so I can't go for the collector inspection.

Well anyway after riding my nephew around I figure I'll take my wife about 10 miles to her favorite ice cream palce but I have the old plate on back and no front plate or inspection sticker.

So I'm on a 2 lane state highway 15 in the right lane driving 53 in a 55 and a gang of motorcycles decides to give me some sort of ****** while gawking at the car. Now on the median is a municipal patrol car and I go by only to look back and see him pulling out. So he pulls me over in the dunkin donuts about 1/4 mile short of the ice cream place. I was very polite and cordial and had all the paperwork for the collector status and the plates that were coming. So he goes back to his car and gets the violation codes book and says none of this matters...

Then tells me to crank up the windows so he can inform me that the tint is too dark and that I need a front plate and that he didn't see my seat belt on although it was on. I guess because it straps opposite it's on the wrong shoulder...

So he does me a favor allegedly and only writes me for the inspection sticker and the front plate about $200 total... Half my friends are cops that know prosecutors and my neighbor is a municipal traffic attorney and my Brother-inlaw from earlier in the day is a NY/NJ Port Authority Sargent and a few of these guys said the cop was just being a *****...

The kicker is that the mailman came just before I left with my wife and the new plates were in the mailbox the whole time...:rolleyes::(

So I put both plates on... The front is on with the Parts Rack removable holder but I'm not sure about the frames:D

You must be registered for see images

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no frickin' WAY.

I can't believe he did that.

Nice Viper btw...and if I had to have front plates, that's the way I would put them on, the frame is kewl.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me about it Phil... Just be careful with Sergeant Kessler out of Jefferson on 15... All of the cops and prosecutors and attorneys that I know are great guys and when I tried to see if he knew any of them he cut me off with a "I don't play that game"

You ever have a problem with the front plate thing ?

That stnks..

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg::omg::omg::omg::headbang::lmao:

Hey LIG

I actually put the new "BAD2DBN" plate on after I was pulled over but have any cops ever given you any grief over it ?

Have you posted that here before because I did a search on the site and it didn't come up...

It seems that there are several out there in other states too...

Bad2Dbn pictures from cars photos on webshots

For some reason I really like the personalized tag...

picture.php

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never been pulled over in the viper (I also don't use the front plate, keep it in the trunk), but I've only put a little over 1,000 miles on it in a year and a half. I've had that tag on previous automobiles, but I've never gotten any grief. I've posted this picture 2 or 3 other times on this site.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
duplicate post
I've never been pulled over in the viper (I also don't use the front plate, keep it in the trunk), but I've only put a little over 1,000 miles on it in a year and a half. I've had that tag on previous automobiles, but I've never gotten any grief. I've posted this picture 2 or 3 other times on this site.

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your BS ticket.. I'm glad he tried to make you feel special by giving you a break!! :omg:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
knock wood, no issues with the front plate thing....

sometime i think having it might be a good excuse for a cop to give you THAT ticket instead of a points ticket. i used to let my inspection go for that reason as a kid and it worked OFTEN

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am the only one happy that you got a ticket for no inspection and front plate. You people are a menace to the roads. When I'm out and about I don't worry about the drunk drivers or red light runners or mamoth SUVs not paying attention, it's you people with no inspections and front plates that make me fear for my safety.

/sarc

BTW put the plate frames in your trophy room. Frames are tacky on a car.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front plate on the Viper is a non starter imo, especially a striped one. I keep mine in the trunk...'it fell off officer, have a custom bracket on order'.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got pulled 10 hours after getting the car out by a cop on a power trip too. Ended up stopping on a 3 land road and decided to **** with him.

he couldn't read my temporary tag.

This is the car with the old tag. . .

Nick

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figure the frames are good for a few laughs:rolaugh:

This was my first choice but I figured the tail would keep breaking off...:lmao:

I guess I am the only one happy that you got a ticket for no inspection and front plate. You people are a menace to the roads. When I'm out and about I don't worry about the drunk drivers or red light runners or mamoth SUVs not paying attention, it's you people with no inspections and front plates that make me fear for my safety.

/sarc

BTW put the plate frames in your trophy room. Frames are tacky on a car.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time I wear a light colored shirt, I expect to get pulled over. Once they see the belt straps on the opposite side I usually end up with a no front plate ticket to justify them stopping me! Luckily my neighbor is the town justice so he keeps dismissing the front plate ticket.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thank God in Louisiana we don't need front plates. Too bad someone hasn't come up with a "Disappearing" Plate holder like Street Rodders use. There's flips back under the front & is controlled by a vacumn scitch. Also for the window tint, I went to my eye Doctor & complained about too bright Sunlight hurt my eyes & got a special permit for Dark Tint. The window sticker cost me $45.00 but it's worth it not to get a Stupid Window Tint Ticket. I love being stopped & 100% legal. It's all part of the game & owning a car that attracts attention like the Viper. Think you would have gotten stopped if you were in a Vet ?

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I think about the inspection ticket the more I think I should fight it on principal... The $130 is hardly worth my time but it's the principal of the thing.

I showed the cop the letter saying the car was collector status and explained that I couldn't pick up the sticker until the new personal plates arrived... Any reasonable person with even a pea for a brain should understand...

Here's what it says on the NJMVC site... Maybe I drank too much coffee today or something but this is bugging me now...

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Vehicles exempt from inspection
RELATED LINKSCollector Car application [pdf] Certain vehicles are exempt from inspections, but they do vary, so be sure to check what is required for yours.

The following vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements (N.J.A.C. 13:20-7.2):
Historic motor vehicles
Collector motor vehicles
Motorized bicycles
Farm tractors and traction equipment
Farm machinery and implements
Fire trucks having a GVWR of more than 8,500 pounds
In-transit construction equipment
Diesel-fueled motor vehicles having a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more that are required to be inspected by the owner or lessee
Omnibuses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s Commercial Bus Inspection and Investigation Unit
School buses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s School Bus Inspection Unit
Tactical military vehicles operated on Federal installations within this State Contractor equipment in transit

Historic vehicles
General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:
At least 25 years old
Specially registered and display QQ plates

Collector vehicles
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:
Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To qualify for an exemption:
Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew
Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
You must provide approval letter from the MVC I/M Support. Vehicle must be prequalified as a collector vehicle
Submit completed application to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Collector Vehicle
P.O. Box 680
Trenton, NJ 08666-0680

Commission: Locations | Vehicles | Licenses | Violations | Inspections | Commercial | About MVC | Contact Us

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah when a cop makes my car payment then he can tell me my tint is too dark and to put a front plate on. I will never ever put a front plate on I'll just keep paying the tickets

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This cop was obviously just harassing me and my wife... Here's what what my lawyer friend tells me... We'll go grab a bite to eat and then head to court and have this thrown out... I didn't mail the check yet so what the hell...

"Even if you already sent in the check, I can still get the matter put on the calendar for a hearing. We can go try the case. The administrative code which governs this issue is N.J.A.C. 13:20-7.2 which I have included a link to below. It appears that you have an absolute defense if you have proof that yours was registered as a collector car."

Legal Resources

13:20-7.2 Inspection of motor vehicles; test frequency; exempt vehicles

(a) Motor vehicles subject to inspection pursuant to N.J.S.A. 39:8-1 shall be inspected on a biennial basis, except as otherwise provided by law or regulation.

(b) (Reserved)

(c) The following vehicles, some of which may be subject to inspection under other provisions of law or regulation, shall be exempt from the inspection requirements of this subchapter:

1. Historic motor vehicles registered pursuant to N.J.S.A. 39:3-27.4;

2. Collector motor vehicles;

3. Motorized bicycles;

4. Farm tractors and traction equipment;

5. Farm machinery and implements;

6. Fire trucks having a GVWR of more than 8,500 pounds;

7. In-transit construction equipment registered pursuant to N.J.S.A. 39:4-30;

8. Diesel-fueled motor vehicles having a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more that are required to be inspected by the owner or lessee of the vehicle in accordance with 13:20-26;

9. Omnibuses that are subject to inspection by the Commission's Commercial Bus Inspection and Investigation Unit;

10. School buses which are subject to inspection by the Commission's School Bus Inspection Unit in accordance with N.J.S.A. 39:3B-18 et seq.; and

11. Tactical military vehicles operated on Federal installations within this State.

HISTORY:

New Rule, R.1999 d.422, effective December 6, 1999.

See: 31 N.J.R. 2466(a), 31 N.J.R. 4078(a).

Former 13:20-7.2, Immediate repairs, recodified to 13:20-7.6.

Amended by R.2001 d.358, effective October 15, 2001.

See: 33 N.J.R. 1894(a), 33 N.J.R. 3651(b).

In (b), substituted "having" for ", other than omnibuses and school buses, have" following "vehicles" in 8, added a new 10, and recodified former 10 as 11.

Amended by R.2006 d.249, effective July 3, 2006.

See: 38 N.J.R. 386(b), 38 N.J.R. 2835(a).

Substituted "Commission's" for "Division's" in (b)9 and (b)10.

Amended by R.2009 d.312, effective October 19, 2009.

See: 41 N.J.R. 1674(a), 41 N.J.R. 3939(b).

Added new reserved (b); recodified former (b) as (c); in the introductory paragraph of (c), substituted a colon for a period at the end; and in (c)9, substituted "that" for "having a seating capacity of 10 passengers or more which".

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The plot thickens...

So I went to the local inspection station on saturday with all of the proper credentials and they said there was a software change that disallowed the collector sticker issuance and I had to call Trenton on Monday. They also made me peel off my window tint (2 hour mess on Saturday)... So I also went to a not so local station Saturday and they couldn't issue the collector sticker either.

Just got off the phone with the guy in Trenton and there was a software change that disallowed all new and renewal collector sticker issuance. He apologized and then flipped the bit from No to Yes and said I can go back to any station now for the collector sticker. I told him about what happened to me the previous weekend with the summons and he said that I shouldn't have received it...

So I'm off to traffic court...

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I had my day in court today... My Attorney friend had another case on the same night so he did this for me as a favor... We got the inspection ticket which was $135 dismissed and I just paid the $56 no front plate ticket. The only reason I even did this was the principal of the thing.

Funny thing was that the cop that gave me the ticket was wanding and searching people before they entered... I could see that he recognized me and looked a bit surprised that I came with an Attorney wearing a $900 suit. I was watching him at the door... In one respect I know that cops have a job to do but this guy was a total ass... He's all laughing and jovial with a mob of people that were mostly seething at the fact they had to be there. A couple of people were asking where to go if they just want to plead guilty so he laughs aloud to a room of 30 angry people and says "we can save a lot of time here if everybody just pleads guilty" and then starts laughing by himself awkwardly as he is the only one amused. I got the impression he was medicated :crazy2::rolleyes:

Even though my buddy went in first and worked it all out with the Prosecutor I still had to go before the judge to make it official. While I was sitting in the court room the guy sitting next to me is livid. He shows me a ticket that the same cop gave him for having Rosary Beads on his rear view mirror...

My Attorney friend and I went out afterwards for Dinner and a few beers and had a good laugh over the whole thing.:2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm sorry to hear you had to go through all that trouble. I personally refuse to put a front plate on my car. Looks aweful and the car was not designed to have one. I was pulled over for not having one back in March. It was the first time I was pulled over for it in 2 years of owning my car, but fortunately they only gave me a warning. I just told them I have the other plate on a rubber mount and it's in the trunk and forgot to put it back on, because when i park the car it's easy for someone to steal. If I get caught again it will definitely ****, but I'll just have to pay the fine if it comes to that. I too have the mount from Jon B at Parts Rack, but will not use it. So I guess if I get pulled over again and have to pay a fine, I'll just consider it Viper tax.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Today I got a speeding ticket from a local cop. In my Stealth. Pissed me off. Every couple years they send us an idiot rookie who doesn't know that a supercar will stop in as little as half the distance of a COP SUV. I hope we teach the Belgium guy that handing outn tickets in the bush isn't going to prevent accidents or save anyone.

I DO get tickets in my Stealths. I still havn't gotten one in any of my Vipers. Twice I've been 'hit' with radar travelling down the main highway at 80mph (speed 62mph) and ignored. Both times it was cousin's Hometown cops and they let me go. My cousin said that he made me famous 'cause they're his neighbors and that's why I don't get tickets from them. I got pulled over and told that a lot of Deer were getting hit so stay under 95mph in Montana. A Detroit cop told me that if I was going 150mph he wouldn't ticket me. Never put a front plate on my Vipers either.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950