First taste of SNAKE BITE

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At Harris Hill Road today and had 2 great run sessions and then my buddy said, "let me tape you for a few more laps". So I went out again and comming off the straight which has a pretty right hander which then goes down a hill, I slowed down what I thought was pretty good started my right turn and started to apply mgt throttle.

The car began to understeer and the more I wanted the car to go right it just kept going left heading off track. At some point once arms were crossed I thought I would blip throttle to get my tail over but before I knew it my tail was comming round so I put both feet in and staightend the wheel and went accross the track down hill and over to track right facing opposite direction.

Only a few folks out and no one behind me which was a blessing. I reviewed the tape and saw that once my arms were crossed over full right and new I was 2 left wheels off, I still turned the wheel even more too right thinking I would catch it.

I now know, I should have turned the wheel the opposite direction some and perhaps lifted throttle a bit and maybe I could have prevented the all 4 tires off end result. It is so counter intuitive to turn the wheel the opposite direction you want to go when in severe understeer.

I am used to driving a 911 awd turbo and I typically like to leave the nanny help on but this is exactly why I bought the snake, so eventually I would become a better driver. It is my first off track in a bit over a year of many DE's and at least one or two times per month at this track but this was only my 3rd or 4rth time in the snake.

Was running moton club sports and 2 comp 3 rebound all around the first session and then went to 3 comp 4 rebound all around when this happened.

Is it possible the front was set a bit too stiff as well? Does this contibute to understeer on these cars or is there a technique to dial it out a bit? The can psi is set at 190 ft and 200 rear.

Car is ok, just had to get my buddies to pull the driver side ft wheel and pull tire off and get rid of tiny rocks that had lodged themselves bt the rim and tire and re balance the wheel. I also damaged my pass side aftermarket blk side sill that extends off the stock sill a few inches. The car came with these and I had been looking to remove them so now I have a good reason.

Feedback from road course folks?

Reaction score
Tommy,

The higher the canister pressure the more compression you get and less rebound. The other way when lowering the pressures. I would suggest 175 psi front and rear and then 3 bump and 4 rebound for the track if you are on 500/800 springs. The rake of the car will also contribute to this condition. The more rake front to rear the more over steer you will get.

At Harris Hill Road today and had 2 great run sessions and then my buddy said, "let me tape you for a few more laps". So I went out again and comming off the straight which has a pretty right hander which then goes down a hill, I slowed down what I thought was pretty good started my right turn and started to apply mgt throttle.

The car began to understeer and the more I wanted the car to go right it just kept going left heading off track. At some point once arms were crossed I thought I would blip throttle to get my tail over but before I knew it my tail was comming round so I put both feet in and staightend the wheel and went accross the track down hill and over to track right facing opposite direction.

Only a few folks out and no one behind me which was a blessing. I reviewed the tape and saw that once my arms were crossed over full right and new I was 2 left wheels off, I still turned the wheel even more too right thinking I would catch it.

I now know, I should have turned the wheel the opposite direction some and perhaps lifted throttle a bit and maybe I could have prevented the all 4 tires off end result. It is so counter intuitive to turn the wheel the opposite direction you want to go when in severe understeer.

I am used to driving a 911 awd turbo and I typically like to leave the nanny help on but this is exactly why I bought the snake, so eventually I would become a better driver. It is my first off track in a bit over a year of many DE's and at least one or two times per month at this track but this was only my 3rd or 4rth time in the snake.

Was running moton club sports and 2 comp 3 rebound all around the first session and then went to 3 comp 4 rebound all around when this happened.

Is it possible the front was set a bit too stiff as well? Does this contibute to understeer on these cars or is there a technique to dial it out a bit? The can psi is set at 190 ft and 200 rear.

Car is ok, just had to get my buddies to pull the driver side ft wheel and pull tire off and get rid of tiny rocks that had lodged themselves bt the rim and tire and re balance the wheel. I also damaged my pass side aftermarket blk side sill that extends off the stock sill a few inches. The car came with these and I had been looking to remove them so now I have a good reason.

Feedback from road course folks?

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Mark,

I will bleed off some psi and check rake. I am not real sure if my current rake is even the 3/4 inch I think you may have suggested to me some time ago. The reason for this is bc I had the ride height/rake set while the car had my street tires with a taller ps2 20 in rear in 335/30 I think. Today I had Khumos and stock wheels on so the car to the eye appears a tad more level with not as much rake.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shiite happens! It's all part of the fun, and the learning curve.
I've been tracking for about 12 years and still go off. If I didn't I figure I wouldn't be pushing the limits enough. Or, I am ineducable :dunno:
Bigger question is: where is the video???

:drive:

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, you said over steer but the car was pushing. Was that just a semantic error?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pushing.

yeh, my GTS does that too. for that reason I am experimenting with the NT05 tire up front (295), totally got rid of the push on my car, but I have different shocks/springs and the car is different.

sounds like maybe you did an early apex....?

I am glad to see your John Deere move didn't result in you being hurt!

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok here is video. Sorry for delay I just had to buy some stuff and try learn how to put video on computer.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You are on the right track. I run even less pressre in the front shocks with those light (500 lb) front springs. I'd try 160 psi and 3 bump / 4 compression for the track.

Also, you mention Kumho tires in one of your posts but not the model. If they were Ecsta V 700's, then they are 305 x 30 x 18 up front - very sticky tires that don't understeer very easily when the suspension is properly set up unless they get hot.

What PSI were the Kumhos hot? I've found they like 34.5 or 35 psi hot on my 06 coupe. They may get a bit greasy if pressures get too high, i.e. 38+ psi and then they will push.

Dan

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to Viper roadracing, a completely different animal then an awd, rear engined Porsche. Your not pushing hard enough if you don't get a couple of E ticket rides. I did a 1080 spin last time out :D

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are on the right track. I run even less pressre in the front shocks with those light (500 lb) front springs. I'd try 160 psi and 3 bump / 4 compression for the track.

Also, you mention Kumho tires in one of your posts but not the model. If they were Ecsta V 700's, then they are 305 x 30 x 18 up front - very sticky tires that don't understeer very easily when the suspension is properly set up unless they get hot.

What PSI were the Kumhos hot? I've found they like 34.5 or 35 psi hot on my 06 coupe. They may get a bit greasy if pressures get too high, i.e. 38+ psi and then they will push.

Dan

They are Kumho but fronts are stock size that fit on stock 18 inch wheel, I don't think I got a wider front. Hot psi was like you said keeping it in that 34-35 range.

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I put it up on you tube or at least I can see it in my account but it does not seem to show up when I search for it. Title is "Viper Understeer". How long does it take to post on You Tube?

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think this is it is it?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyStdXQ0wTM[/media][/QUOTE

No I titled mine Viper Understeer and it shows up in my videos section on my You Tube acct and I can play it there but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to upload to the main site?

First time to ever do this. Sorry.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think this is it is it?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyStdXQ0wTM[/media][/QUOTE

No I titled mine Viper Understeer and it shows up in my videos section on my You Tube acct and I can play it there but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to upload to the main site?

First time to ever do this. Sorry.

the spanish narrating cracked me up....."mira, mira miraaaa...el viper!!" LOL:rolaugh:

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7a5KnJfres[/media]

This must be it. Looks scary. :) Did you do any damage? Maybe need an alignment afterwards?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi