First Time Viper Owner-Have Car Five Days!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in heaven....only way I can describe how I feel. I've wanted a Viper since they first hit the market in '92! Grew up with Corvettes, but they aren't appealing to me anymore.

So, for the last few weeks I have been coming to this site to read posts about lots of different subjects. Very interesting and helpful information but, above all, what a great owner website!

So, probably too soon for me to have many specific questions, but I have at least one right now...so how good/bad is the a/c? I think mine needs a re-charge, but what should I expect once that is done. I do know the car is hot, but is the a/c good enough to neutralize some of that heat and make it bearable?

Took it on the highway Saturday for the first time....AWESOME and I didn't even get on it much...never got out of 4th (lots of cops in the area)!

Well, love the car, love the site and looking forward to an absolutely great owner experience. I'll post pictures of my '98 RT/10 as soon as I can figure it out.

:drive:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:welcome: and congrats on your viper. we all know how it feels to get a viper and experience the rush of driving one. always feel free to ask questions as there are many helpful members to help you out.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air is usually adequate to keep from cooking, depending on the year, the vent positioning can be less than desirable. You didn't mention what year your car is. I frequently run with the windos down and the air on if I am cruising around town on a hot day.
Congrats on your purchase and enjoy :2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

It is a 1998 red RT/10 (Black int) with only 5,200 miles, car is 100% stock. Seems to be in pretty nice shape, wasn't used much so will need to go through it and make it street ready.

The coolest thing, for me at least, is that this was a birthday present from my (way cool) wife!!! We have two very young children, but she wanted me to have the dream car I've been talking about (and drooling over) since we met.

I am now painstakingly cleaning (Meguires Liquid Paint Cleaner) and waxing to paint...seems it was sitting for a bit and had some kind of residue on the paint...not sure if acid rain effect, but it is coming off and paint is looking primo!

while I will have lots of questions (my nature, unfortunately), I was curious about the tires and all the posts I have read. I am pretty sure these are the original Michelin Pilot Sports AS's on the car and know they should be replaced. I also know that the concensus from this site is that PS2's should be put on. They are pretty pricing and for a car that is strictly a toy (and don't forget two young kids and two SUV's), are any other tires acceptable - e.g., high end TA's or something like that? I don't want to get "run out of town" for not putting on PS2's, but I also would like to remain on speaking terms with my wife!

Any suggestions?

Also, can someone explain how to post pictures on this site so I can put up a few of this car.

Thanks again and incredibly happy to be part of this.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the top of the forum there are two gray horizontal navigation bars. Look at the one on top right under the advertisement banner and click on the link that says "Media Gallery". It is the second link from the left side of the page.

Once you click on that and go to the next page at the top on the right of that page you will see four links... "Home" "Search" "Profile" "Upload Photos"

Click on the link that says.. "Upload Photos"

Then once your on that new page just choose the category you want your images to appear in and then click the browse button to find the file on your computer to upload. You can choose up to four photos to upload at one time.. The rest is pretty self explanatory with entering title, description, keywords for your photo. Once you are done click on the "Upload/Submit" button and you should be all set! :2tu:

Just make sure once you are done uploading any photos; to access them on the top left of the Media Gallery page click on the link that says "My Photos" :)

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the photo help!

Last question on photos, is there a requirement of some type for having a photo with your screename to the left of posts? If not, how do you get the photo there?

Also, any response to my question re: tires?

Thanks all.:dunno:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you join your local Viper Club, I am sure the mods will be happy to put your avatar of choice with your site name....not sure if you joined or not. As far as tires, definitely replace the original tires for safety reasons, (they make nice end table stands for the garage)....as far as replacements, contact JonB, he will hook you up with the best price on a suitable tire for your needs:2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the photo help!

Last question on photos, is there a requirement of some type for having a photo with your screename to the left of posts? If not, how do you get the photo there?

Also, any response to my question re: tires?

Thanks all.:dunno:

Yes there is a requirement. You need to be a VCA member to have an avatar(small photo under your name on the left).

As for tires.. they are always going to be expensive unless you buy them off someone used.. but I wouldn't really recommend doing that unless you buy them off someone you trust and they are in pretty good condition since New tires are a must if yours aren't so great.

I do know Mike(NukedGTS) bought Pirelli P-Zero's over the Michelin PS2's and loves them... they look great too since I just saw them yesterday :D

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Will join as soon as I get my stuff in order, right now, need to get it registered and on the street with "real" plates!

Here's a picture my wife took...had to put a bow on it!

ViperClub Photo Gallery - My 1st Viper-'98 RT/10

On the tires, agreed...most tires in this category are similar in price...would not buy used. Will explore various Michelin Sport models, I think AS is what came on my car. They are a little more reasonable than PS2's, though I suppose I would be giving up something.

Thanks again.:2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Will join as soon as I get my stuff in order, right now, need to get it registered and on the street with "real" plates!

Here's a picture my wife took...had to put a bow on it!

ViperClub Photo Gallery - My 1st Viper-'98 RT/10

On the tires, agreed...most tires in this category are similar in price...would not buy used. Will explore various Michelin Sport models, I think AS is what came on my car. They are a little more reasonable than PS2's, though I suppose I would be giving up something.

Thanks again.:2tu:

No problem.. New tires are very important- will give you better traction, handling and also better gas mileage! :D

Nice pics by the way.. must have been the best birthday present you ever received! :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the cabin heat issue;

Stock Catalytic Convertors are the culprit. Get some hi-flow cats and you'll be happy. My 98 GTS had Roe hi-flows with Random Tech Catback and I had no heat issues. Both my a/c systems worked too well. Even if I had it turned on low, I had to keep turning it off because it was too cold. The stock Cats have caused small fires and damaged the sill paint on a couple Vipers.

Congrats! ... on the wife and the car.

Ted

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the cabin heat issue;

Stock Catalytic Convertors are the culprit. Get some hi-flow cats and you'll be happy. My 98 GTS had Roe hi-flows with Random Tech Catback and I had no heat issues. Both my a/c systems worked too well. Even if I had it turned on low, I had to keep turning it off because it was too cold. The stock Cats have caused small fires and damaged the sill paint on a couple Vipers.

Congrats! ... on the wife and the car.

Ted

Is there any difference between:
Random Tech Hi-Flow Cats
Roe Hi-Flow Cats
Belanger Hi-Flow Cats

Or is it all just personal preference...

I'm like 99% positive I'm getting Corsa Catback exhaust; heard a few of them yesterday at the VCA opener and I loved it.. so I want the best setup for that exhaust; however I was considering new headers in the future and I heard the Belanger Headers are prob the best and so I assumed Belanger Hi-Flow Cats to go along with the Belanger Headers. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and tell me the best setup you believe is possible with the Corsa Catback Exhaust.. thanks! :)

-Anthony

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion the AC *****, but I live in So. Oregon and it rarely gets above 75. When I got mine the AC blew cold and worked fine but by the next year it wasn't working at all. The fan wouldn't come on when I turned the AC on so I knew something was wrong in the system. I recharged the system, it was quite low, it worked for about 2 hours then nothing. I took it to an AC pro and he found that my low pressure line had a leak where it had rubbed on something and put a hole in the line. I ordered a replacement line from Chuck Tator last fall and am going to put it on and get the system recharged again as soon as I get the time. I really don't miss the AC because I rarely use it.

V

Venomiss

Welcome and congratulations on your Viper!:2tu:

This is all the information on how to join the VCA. Right now there is the 10th Viper Owners Invitational(VOI) happening at the end of August in Detroit.
VCA members get a $55 per person discount on the price of VOI-almost pays for the membership right there. Once a month we have a giveaway to VCA members on this site. This month it's a $200 gift certificate to Dave's Big Brakes. VCA members get discounts from vendors and that lovely avatar you mentioned.

http://forums.viperclub.org/2403732-post1.html

You can also join online through PayPal.
http://forums.viperclub.org/2490717-post121.html

Here is another instructional photo and will help you put them direct in your post.(with pictures and tutorial)
http://forums.viperclub.org/2398327-post25.html

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, thanks all.

Yes, the Viper is awesome, but would never have happened if it wasn't for my wife....

Going to have the a/c system recharged and checked for any leaks and hope it works as well as some of you say it does. I'm in CT and it certainly gets hot enough here to REALLY need it...though taking off the top and putting down the windows would be my preference.

On the tires, I did look last night and the tires are Pilot SX's or Pilot SA's. Any thoughts on those as they seem to be original equipment.

Thanks to everyone for your friendly replies.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see that Photobucket can be used on this site, so here is my "birthday present!"

The bow was my wife's touch:

You must be registered for see images attach

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Random Tech Hi-Flow Cats
Roe Hi-Flow Cats
Belanger Hi-Flow Cats

Or is it all just personal preference...

I'm like 99% positive I'm getting Corsa Catback exhaust; heard a few of them yesterday at the VCA opener and I loved it.. so I want the best setup for that exhaust; however I was considering new headers in the future and I heard the Belanger Headers are prob the best and so I assumed Belanger Hi-Flow Cats to go along with the Belanger Headers. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and tell me the best setup you believe is possible with the Corsa Catback Exhaust.. thanks! :)
-Anthony

Search YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. for Viper exhaust. Many owners have posted there. I posted my sc'd 98 GTS with stock headers, Roe Hi-flows and stock headers. It'll be listed under Viper burnout, 98 GTS. I liked the Random Tech Catback on that car.

There's as many opinions as there is Cats. There's also Ceramic and Metal types. Call Sean Roe/www.roeracing.com or JonB at partsrack or the Wizard, etc.

Belanger Headers are good and bad. I bought Belanger 5 > 2 > 1 and when I called Sean Roe he informed me that if the headers had 'pickles' they would lose 20rwhp because they won't flow enough for the supercharger. I torched out the pickles and am thinking of installing them on my car. I have Edelbrock headerson my car now - they are 1 3/4" but have 2.5" Collectors. The Belangers have 1 5/8" tubes. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. I'll be selling the Belangers ($1100.)and welding a 3" collector onto the Edelbrocks.

You want headers specific for YOUR car, mods and driving style. The Belangers have the highest gains in mid range for n/a.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Again, thanks all.

Yes, the Viper is awesome, but would never have happened if it wasn't for my wife....

Going to have the a/c system recharged and checked for any leaks and hope it works as well as some of you say it does. I'm in CT and it certainly gets hot enough here to REALLY need it...though taking off the top and putting down the windows would be my preference.

On the tires, I did look last night and the tires are Pilot SX's or Pilot SA's. Any thoughts on those as they seem to be original equipment.

Thanks to everyone for your friendly replies.

I am thinking that the only tires available by Michelin now are the PS2's as the ones that original came on your car have been discontinued. If you happen to find some, they'd be just as old as the ones you currently have and not worth anything. I'd just spring for the PS2's and be safe.

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your new present! :) You will certainly enjoy it. Be careful, the Viper is very addictive (driving it, and the attention you'll get). :drive: My husband and I have had our 94 RT/10 for almost a year now. I already want another! Make sure you join the VCA, you'll have a great time, gain knowledge on the car, and meet wonderful people. Take Care and Enjoy!

Angela

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great point about the Michelins....if the original tires are still around, yes, guess they would be just as old. Okay, you've all convinced me, I'll buy the PS2's.

And, yes, my wife and I will enjoy our "non-kid" rides as a way of spending time together....Can't wait.

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes and advice.

Look forward to this ownership experience.

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations on your Dream Car!!! Seems you have a Dream Wife too... Congratulations on find her and being smart enough to marry her! ;) My wife didn't see things the same as me when I bought my Viper at the first of the year. hahaha... Even now, she nags me about my time spent on eBay or this forum learning about Vipers and various "upgrades" I want to do. :p

Enjoy the ride man! You only live once!

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! And, yes, she is definitely the best! :2tu:

But, I must say, she has the same attitude towards the Ebay thing as it only gets you in trouble to find things to buy that you never even thought of!!!!:dunno:

Again, thanks to all for the great welcome and friendly (and very helpful) dialogue.

Can't wait for the rain to go away so I can drive it again.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, while I'm on this thing, anyone from Southern CT? If so, are there any shops dedicated to Viper service/repair or any particular dealers that are good?

Thanks again.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Random Tech Hi-Flow Cats
Roe Hi-Flow Cats
Belanger Hi-Flow Cats

Yes.
-Only ONE of the products mentioned is a cat manufacturer.
-Only ONE of the above products quotes tested, guaranteed flow rates.
-Only ONE of the products above puts their own true name on the product as manufacturer.
-Only One of the products above has a written 5-year warrantee WITH the product.
-There are only a small handful of substrate manufacturers worldwide, who make ceramic or honeycomb substrate to manufacturer specs. The feds require a MINIMUM spec. Only ONE of the products above uses an extra costly process in having substrate made.
-If you dont buy that ONE, what/whose "Brand X" anonymous cat are you truly getting?

Random Tech cats may cost a little bit more, but the reasons are above. (Random Tech cats also have the WORST profit margins for the vendor....but we carry them anyway. We can get brand-X if you insist. )

P.S. from time to time. PartsRack and Random have been asked to 'warrantee test' failed cats that were AUCTIONED ELSWEHERE AS RANDOM TECH. They proved to NOT BE R.T. Cats!!! If you want to buy anonymous brands, that is certainly an option.

P.P.S. ALL the vendors above give excellent support of their sales, no one is saying otherwise.

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipuronr
If you are in southern Ct. you are close to
"Tator's Dodge"home of the Wizard.Do yourself
and your Viper a favor go to see the Wizard.Tator's
is located in South Salem N.Y.Also search this site
and you will see how lucky you are to live in the NY/Ct
region.:2tu:

Skeeter

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember some of the other links. Even after you have driven the viper and you think you have it down, it can get away from you if you hammer it. My daughter and I talked my wife into my viper and now she loves it but not as much as I do. Look on ebay when she's not around. LOL

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes.
-Only ONE of the products mentioned is a cat manufacturer.
-Only ONE of the above products quotes tested, guaranteed flow rates.
-Only ONE of the products above puts their own true name on the product as manufacturer.
-Only One of the products above has a written 5-year warrantee WITH the product.
-There are only a small handful of substrate manufacturers worldwide, who make ceramic or honeycomb substrate to manufacturer specs. The feds require a MINIMUM spec. Only ONE of the products above uses an extra costly process in having substrate made.
-If you dont buy that ONE, what/whose "Brand X" anonymous cat are you truly getting?

Random Tech cats may cost a little bit more, but the reasons are above. (Random Tech cats also have the WORST profit margins for the vendor....but we carry them anyway. We can get brand-X if you insist. )

P.S. from time to time. PartsRack and Random have been asked to 'warrantee test' failed cats that were AUCTIONED ELSWEHERE AS RANDOM TECH. They proved to NOT BE R.T. Cats!!! If you want to buy anonymous brands, that is certainly an option.

P.P.S. ALL the vendors above give excellent support of their sales, no one is saying otherwise.

Hey Jon, thanks for the great info..
I'm not sure if you will see this post right away, but I actually just called and left a voicemail at PartsRack. David Pitlyuk(GotA350ZTT) actually sent me in regards to the same setup he had done being the Corsa Catback exhaust with Random Tech High Flow Cats. I had some questions regarding what he had done and some other things that I would like to buy from you so when you get a chance please give me a call back.

Thanks
Anthony

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Skeeter, thanks for the tip. Just sent Chuck an email to get a sense of what I might be in for on the work I need done (Wife not crazy 'bout the "continuing" expense of owning a Viper).

Appreciate it!

Peter:

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Jon, thanks for the great info..
I'm not sure if you will see this post right away, but I actually just called and left a voicemail at PartsRack. David Pitlyuk(GotA350ZTT) actually sent me in regards to the same setup he had done being the Corsa Catback exhaust with Random Tech High Flow Cats. I had some questions regarding what he had done and some other things that I would like to buy from you so when you get a chance please give me a call back. Thanks
Anthony

Thanks for the call, and your order! Some items shipped TODAY, the Corsa Tomorrow, along with some doodads of course.

And DavidP gets a good-guy credit in his file, THANKS

ChrisGNJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man...a wife that buys her husband a Viper...this is a trend I feel like needs to catch on in a big way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960