Flood Damaged

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone every bought a flood damaged car? My brother is looking at a viper that has a seized motor and the guy only wants 13k for it? I know where I can geta gen 3 motor and drop it into it. It is an ACR. The insurance guy who settled the claim who refered me to the car told me about it sent me to this guy who buys these cars. The car is mint, bought the guy got caught in the rain and ran through a puddle and seized the motor. What do you guys think? The guy also has a hummer that he only wants 10 for and needs a motor also.

Any thoughts?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First off, a Gen-3 engine will not fit in a Gen-2 car. Second, I wouldnt touch a flood damaged car with a 20 ft pole. Every control unit in the car is going to be damaged, your going to have wiring problems up the *****, and depending how long it sat, the rear diff, wheel bearings, trans, and even some parts of the frame are almost certainly rusting. the Body itself is likely the only thing GOOD, without conducting an obscene amount of work. LOL, and I want to see this puddle the guy drove through to seize the engine... unless he considers a pond a "puddle".

PS- for that rpice, it IS definatly too good to be true. if it ONLY had a bad engine, it sure as he!! would be a lot more expensive. you get what you pay for...

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few cars that were "flood" damaged from driving through a deep puddle. The one thing these cars had in common ......... A low (below)bumper intake. Walla hydraulic lock. With the NACA opened up to the world stuff the nose in the drink with the throttle open and the revs up it is possible to do without damaging the entire car.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1TONY1,,, torch and a welder,, we have the technology!!!!! :D what do they mean by seized? I've seen 3 cars that drove into puddles, sucked water into the intake and hydro-locked. Three dumb people, same flood. Took the spark-plugs out, turned it over a few times, changed the oil, put plugs in, started it and let warm up, drain oil, repeat 2-3 times, car is fine. This was 3 years ago. Depends how deep water was, if just deep enough to scoop water in front to hydro-lock motor, should be fine. no way to tell that tho unless thorough exam. Plus of course, how long it's been sitting. Check it out, might be a steal.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd buy it for 13K. If your brother does not want it PM me with a number. If the interior is good, the motor and elect's are not that big of a deal for me to deal with. It could be a great deal ,it could be a bad deal. I'd risk it.

OP
OP
W

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well what we are looking to do is turn this ACR (which has been salvaged titled and sold by the insurance company) and turn it into a race car. We are not too worried about all the wiring, he is an mechanicn at a porshce store in Pgh, and I have some knowledge of vipers. The engine is hydro locked and waws proven by removing the sprak plugs. The former owner has spoke to my borhter as he has numerous cars and kind of led hime to the car through the insurnace company. We were looking at the hummer bc I heard it is really not the expensive to replace that engine. That is hydrolocked after teh owner took it four wheeling above the roof, and was towed out of the river I guess you can say, he called it a creek. 94rocketshiprt if we do not buy thecar I will give you the number. Dan, why do you not think the engine will fit in a gen 2? Kinda thought itwas close, and like 1tony1 said a littel moding and we will be set. Do youthink VRL will let me run a gen 2 car with a gen 3 engine?

thanks for your 2cents andplease don't kill me for my ideas.

THEY ARE JUST IDEAS! I AM ONLY HUMAN LIKE YOU!

bill

OP
OP
W

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Additonaly he has a ZO6( holy sh$T I said ZO6) for real cheap. This guy just goes and buys stuff off of insurance companies for what he can get hem for. He has some nice stuff too, but this z06 has 11 miles and a seizxed engine which was seized by the maint guy who drove it into a puddle or what ever the water was! he only wants low teens for it. 11 mile low teens and a lot of hard labor. What do you think....pleas don't kill me for saying z06 (taboo)

OP
OP
W

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also has a really nice diablo for almost 40 with wing damage, nose damage and windshiel, nothing ab ody an couldn't fix for 10 or less, noit sure what a windshield goes for on one of them beast?

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I caught a fish THISSSSS long in that puddle, too. Wanna buy it for $10?
You must be registered for see images

All you have to do is Western Union some guy in the U.K. the $10, who will then use it to the money to dolt some poor e-Bay'r.

Honestly, about 20 years ago a got stuck with a company car that had been drowned... It seamed nothing was going to fix it, until a college student T-boned it for me - that took care of the problem.

"You can't cheat an Honest man" - if you think you're going to get away with a "steal" of a deal - you're probably the one who is going to get ripped off.

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Flood Damaged

I caught a fish THISSSSS long in that puddle, too. Wanna buy it for $10?
You must be registered for see images
Yeah, I'll take it. How are you going to send it? One piece or two?

Is this where they're having the w - i - d - e - s - t thread contest?------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------whew! One of my keys got stuck.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

well, I suppose with a welder and lots of time, you can make anything fit into anything...i thought you were just looking to "drop" it in. However... why would you even bother? just put a Gen-2 engine back into it.

Someone on the baord a while back compared the locations of the engine mounting bosses, and they were not even close to the same from what I remember. Also, the gen-2 engine is not the same height as the gen-3 engine, the bolt bosses are higher (crank is lower) on the gen-3, so chances are, either it will sit too low and hit the ground, or sit too high and hit the hood, unless you do quite a bit of frame modifications.

Why not just take the existing engine, have it re-sleeved, (if it even needs it), throw in a set of stonger rods and pistons, a new cam, a set of GTSR heads, and a Roe SC and call it a day?

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

plan on rewiring the whole car with a new computer too. I stay away from flood cars. To many problems later.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I cameto the same conclusion when considering restoring a mid 70s camaro. I found it at a yard. The body was complete with original glass and everything. HOWEVE, it had been in a flood. The engine was shot, the interior was trashed, every nook and cranny had rust, etc... Thing is it's what you don't see that is what's usually worst. If you don't mind completely rewiring the car from taillight to headlight, and don't mind custom fitting that gen3 engine, then go for it. In the end however, might be cheaper (and safer/more reliable) to just get a good gen2.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pull the carpet back, if it doesn't knock you out from the moldy smell, buy the car!!!! Water wasn't inside. Any water at all that made it into the interior will stink like crazy. Even newer cars, no smell=good, rotten moldy smell=bad.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SH!!!!T !!!!,,
I allmost pizzed myself on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

p.s. Tony, when we gettin' the "I'm not worthy smilie"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi