Flow master mufflers

Quicksilver

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just replaced his automatic transmission in his 71 Challenger with a Tremec 5 speed, and also replaced the mufflers with Flow Masters - when I heard them it was instant wood!!!! Anyway, I saw in the latest Jegs catalog and Flowmasters web site a muffler called the Hushpower II. It's a round muffler that looks like it would fit under the side sills of a Gen 1. Does anyone know or could take a wild guess if these would exhibit the same sound characteristics (that "rain barrel" effect) as the regular oval mufflers???

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just replaced his automatic transmission in his 71 Challenger with a Tremec 5 speed, and also replaced the mufflers with Flow Masters - when I heard them it was instant wood!!!! Anyway, I saw in the latest Jegs catalog and Flowmasters web site a muffler called the Hushpower II. It's a round muffler that looks like it would fit under the side sills of a Gen 1. Does anyone know or could take a wild guess if these would exhibit the same sound characteristics (that "rain barrel" effect) as the regular oval mufflers???

The image off of Flowmaster's site shows what I think are different internals than their typical muffler with the rain barrel sound you like.

It looks like it'd fit, but all bets are off as to sound AND flow characteristics, with the internal design being different.

You must be registered for see images

---------------------
Garage Sale!

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked into them and also called Flow master and they said that the muffler could not take the horse power I was looking at putting through them.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I remember reading on the Flowmaster website that these mufflers were good to 400hp-which would probably be the rating for each muffler.

Still, they look to be more restrictive than their other high performance mufflers.

- Try some large OD exhaust pipe under the sills, weld some baffles in, and see what kind of sound you end up with..!

---------------------
Garage Sale!

Last edited:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Throw anything in a 71' E-body an it will sound like thunder from heavan. Exhausts in muscle V8's will never sound the same in a V10, especially a sidepipe. Get the new Roe, the best sounding exhaust I've heard on any GenI, period.