forged bottem end?

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did some looking around today, and i couldnt find a single place that sells just the forged rods, pistons, and hardware for the viper (yes, i was bored today), anyone have a price list / good prices for these things? and how long is the stock crank good for? 700 + rwhp? thats for any help you can give me :-D
-Dan oh yea, whats the stroke and bore on the Gen2 V10?

thanks

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,
I'm in PA and I have a DLM Level I supercharger with cast pistons making over 700 rear wheel hp. I can't see why the stock bottom end can't utilize that much horsepower. I intend to do plenty of road racing and 1/4 mile track events! I think the stock bore is 4"

- Lou

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did some looking around today, and i couldnt find a single place that sells just the forged rods, pistons, and hardware for the viper (yes, i was bored today), anyone have a price list / good prices for these things? and how long is the stock crank good for? 700 + rwhp? thats for any help you can give me :-D
-Dan oh yea, whats the stroke and bore on the Gen2 V10?

thanks

If your going to do all that - go with either a 510 or 542 stroker.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might look at some of the many aftermaket rods and pistons available for Chevys and Fords. There's quite a bit available and some of it might fit without any work. It's worth looking at.
I was into Ford 2.3 ohc four cylinder engines at one time and some of the guys used chevy high strength rods.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Ford sized pistons in my last car. They were JE, and I want to say they were off the shelf. The other stuff is already forged.

OP
OP
B

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so, say if i wanted to run about 10# of boost, all i would need is forged pistons? not rods?

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add another example right here,I am on a totally stock internals forged Gen2 pushing over 700 at the wheels. The forged Gen2 motor is already built like one would 'build' a mouse motor for big HP. Keep in mind that the HP per cubic inch even at the 700RWHP level is not really that high compared to what other good 'factory stock' motors can handle. (i.e. Toyota Supra TT)

OP
OP
B

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what type of times do you run in the 1/4 mile? and is it pretty street able?

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best GTECH 1/4 I have gotten is low 11's @ 132-137 - It is VERY traction limited but I have yet to go to a 'real' dragstrip and see what I can do. I would think high 10's at about the same MPH if I used some type of drag tire.

Streetable? It is just as streetable as a stock one, you can cruise almost at any speed around town just by staying in 4th. I pilot it everyday, as it is my only transportation vehicle.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so, say if i wanted to run about 10# of boost, all i would need is forged pistons? not rods?

Dan, the stock rods are already forged. The 2000+ cars have the cast hypereutectic pistons that have very little material from the top of the top ring to the top of the piston. This is the problem more than anything as that part can chip and/or crack.

What year car do you have? What would you like to do with it? How much money are you looking to spend? The stock bottom end is pretty strong. Look at Jason Tarnutzer's car, I believe he had some 80+ K miles on the clock when he put ON the turbo system. Depending on the power you want, the $$$$$$ you want to spend on the car, and the application desired will determine which way you should go.

OP
OP
B

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
car? none yet, just doing research still :p and probably will be for a while, but i want to plan out what i want from the car before i get it. IE, dont get a 2000+ car if i want to run higher boost numbers. Just try'n not to waste money hehe. thanks for all the info so far tho :-D
-dan

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
car? none yet, just doing research still :p and probably will be for a while, but i want to plan out what i want from the car before i get it. IE, dont get a 2000+ car if i want to run higher boost numbers. Just try'n not to waste money hehe. thanks for all the info so far tho :-D
-dan

Dan, sounds good, I would get a 1999 or earlier car and take it from there. Good luck! Paolo

OP
OP
B

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heres a good question for you, if i plan to learn to drive this car and track it, is it worth looking for a low miles car when the time comes? im getting the car to drive, not to look at :-D
-dan

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A low mile car may not be as important as a WELL MAINTAINED car is. If you find a car that has a solid maintanence history and a mechanically inclined owner, you will have a better chance of never having problems....

i.e. An acquaintance of mine in Vegas collects cars and was selling his F50. When the Ferrari mechanic came to 'approve' of the cars mechanical condition, the low mile (under 2000) car needed about $5k of work since it sat too long without being run. A gorgeous low mile car, for a to be driven car, is not always the best.....

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over 130k. There is a selection of new parts though, including (but not limited to) heads, tranny, rr end, brakes, paint (used to be silver), door hinge, and other stuff. All things considered, the Viper is the most reliable car I have ever owned in the 'performance' category. Far more reliable than my cars I owned before it. Dodge has earned me as a customer for life. No doubht about it. Someday (hopefully when they make a GTS body style new car) I will get one. But for sure, I am staying Dodge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96