Found 2 Metal Shavings in oil. What now?

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok got the intake manifold off last night, valve covers, rocker arms, push rods, and then started to take the heads off. Damn those things are on there tight! Broke one of my ratchets. My other set was at the office so could not finish taking them off. Will finish that tonight and post of pics.

Well phil lets hope this will be the first and last time!

Dan, I'll check and see if I have a missing screw somewhere. Will repost back. Thanks

Hey Jack will try and figure that out tonight.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha Well it was a Kobalt. But I was being stupid and was using a 3/8". I did not have the right 1/2" at my house. I have a full set of Kobalt and a full set of Craftsman. Went to lowes this morning and they have me a knew ratchet. lol

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your situation, but i'm impressed at the speed you are working

thanks for the updates

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks eucharistos. To tell you the truth I am pretty excited about taking this engine apart. When I bought this car I was given no information on the build. Did a lot of research and found that it was built by underground but do not have a build sheet on it. So, it's exciting to see what was installed. Just not happy about having to replace the parts! lol I say the car will be down about a month or two. Just going to take my time and do it right. Looking to learn a lot!

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok finally got the head off as it was a pain with the paxton. Will post pics in a few minutes.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok let's here it. What the heck is going on with this rust crap?

picture.php

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Absolutely caused by a piece of "shrapnel" whipping around the rotating assembly. Take a close look at #10 especially, but inspect the rest just in case whatever it was migrated around the engine. Also look at the counterweight for something [like a balance job] coming apart.

It is possible that whatever it was fell out in an earlier oil change.

On the upside, that is a pretty standard rod/piston, so you shouldn't have a problem getting a new one made.

As always, in a case like this, it is advisable to do a full tear down, or at least partial to inspect a few random bearings & oil pump. However, if the cylinder walls look good, the rest of the pistons/rods are OK, and the damage to the counterweight is minimal, you can replace the one assembly... just make sure you clean the hell out of it.

If the rod is salvageable, make sure you get new bolts for it, as well as any others you check the bearings on. Those look like L19 Eagle's, which more than likely had the bolts torqued by stretch [or a torque determined to create the correct stretch ahead of time]

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As was said, take out another piston to check wear. "since you're in there" you might as well have all the side skirts on the pistons coated and rebalanced. :2tu:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Eeek... its looking like some material may have made its way through the oil system. More than likely material in the oil that pushed that made it through the filter bypass when open. Doesn't look TOO bad, but I would need to see the crank.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Do the vertical scratches go through the honing, or can you see honing shadows under them? If they go through, will a fingernail catch them?

This almost looks like a "spiral" of metal from the balance job was hiding in one of the drilled holes, or something like a piece of broken ring made it through the rebuild hiding somewhere.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn that *****, but I gotta give you props for the amazing speed and detail your doing this in. At this rate it will be back in action very soon.

Now while you are in there :D

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha I know Russ, I'm going to try and control my "while I'm in there" devil on my shoulder. My business took a hit with this economy so I need to control myself! ha

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha I know Russ, I'm going to try and control my "while I'm in there" devil on my shoulder. My business took a hit with this economy so I need to control myself! ha

You do know that you do not want to be rotating the crank too much without dog bones on the block surface. You can lift the cylinder sleeves. Everyone is rooting for you and also wanting to see what caused the problem. It is so strange to see localized damage yet the piston and the bearing at that cylinder both have damage, then, there does not seem to be any debris??

Last edited: