Fricking A! Busted my key!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Has anyone busted their key because of that small hole in the back of the steering wheel? I had a key get stuck in that hole that was on my key chain. I mad a turn and snap! the key head on my viper key broke while the key that got stuck in the hole got bent! Grr!! I need to put some tape on the back of that steering wheel to cover it up and stop it from happening again! Anyone know where to get another key at?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You know, Adam...a person could really have some fun with this one...I won't, but I'm SURE some of your other friends will will get that accomplished !!!

Go to your Dodge dealer, and they can fix you up...take your VIN just in case.

Dreamert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MOUHAHAHAHAHAHA

ok I'm in no position to laugh at that since I only drive an SRT-4 but hey... gotta find fun where you can LOL

Give me that Viper, it is so full a little annoyances like that :p

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Laugh away at my pain. :D

44054299234565_468.jpg

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me, believe it or not.
I got 2 extra key blanks on ebay and had them cut at Ace Hardware. They were a little reluctant to cut the keys because of the odd shaped fob but it worked ot fine. They charged me a dollar to cut both keys. A definite bargain.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Seriously, Adam...dealer fixed me up in about 3 minutes...my own experience at Ace/Tru-Value was two separate attempts, BOTH of which did not work.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or did you find that pic on the net and this is just another ploy thread to get more posts? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful keeping long keychains and other crap on your Viper keys, it would **** to be making a left going through an intersection only to catch your key and break it off causing the car to die right in the middle of oncoming traffic. It's happened before. Kinda scary!

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
As KING POSER I must interject that NOTHING but the alarm fob shares the key chain with the Viper key. :) LOL!!
Ditto that, besides I hate keys, my whole house is keyless entry now.

I love the Viper Key......it starts fun :2tu:

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ebay is probably the cheapest place for keys. However most lock shops can order them with the snake head and if they mess up the cut it is on them. The dealer price is outrageous.

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Until you get a replacement, you can drill a hole between the snakes eyes so you can get it back in the keyring. Dont drill too close to the shaft of the key because you will hit metal under the plastic.
As the others have said, eBay is the place to get some great key blanks, even some that are painted to match your color Viper.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That will buff right out ;) . Yeah but seriously, keep an eye out on eBay, they are there all the time. Beats the heck out of paying dealer prices. Gosh I love eBay, although they are rasing fees for sellers like crazy next month. :rolleyes:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ab,
The owner didn't charge me because it took him longer than he promised to make the mold. He even made up a 2nd key. the one in the photo he sand blasted around sneeky Pet which I thought looked best. He's original quote was only like $80 I think. Hell of a nice guy. I'm having him make up one for Darin in Iraq.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this done back in 2003. I think he had quoted me like $80-$90 and that included making the mold. He wanted to give me the mold, but I him I would have no use for it and I told him I'd tell all the other Viper owners I met about him and he'd be making hundreds of them. So far I don't think anyone has called him. I've even told big name Viper dealers here on the board and sent them this photo???

When I first say the key that went to my Viper, I thought it was a replacement key. How could the Dodge Viper have a plastic key? I found this jeweler and had these keys made months after I bought my Viper. Give him a call

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the key I've been using for that last year and a half.

It also has the weight to it that feels like quality. It's all solid sterling silver.