from TT Stealth to 99 Viper

dak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys long time lurker first time poster here.
Looking for opinions from those of you that have a stealth and a Viper

I currently own a 94 twin turbo stealth and I love the car. The power and the AWD. When I drive this car I feel that when the the car is on the edge of loosing control the AWD reels it right back in. I cant really get myself in trouble with this car. Its a complete blast to drive.

I've wanted a Viper since I was 12 years old when I first saw it at the 92 auto show. I'm now in a position to pick up a very nice 99 GTS in great condition with under 20,000 miles
I've driven in a Viper but have never driven one myself.

Question is am I going to be dissapointed with this car after driving the stealth. I realize it is a completely different car and because of that I will probably keep the stealth as well.
I do realize I wont be able to take a Viper as fast into a corner as I do the stealth, or can I ? I guess thats really What I am asking.

I had a high HP dakota in my 20's as well so I do know what its like to have alot of power to the rear wheels and how it drives.

Don't think anyone is going to let me drive their Viper without making a commitment. I just don't want to make this purchase and then be dissapointed.

Any advice would be great!

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do realize I wont be able to take a Viper as fast into a corner as I do the stealth, or can I ? I guess thats really What I am asking.

I think you'd be pleased with a Viper, I have been :2tu:

I don't recall what the '94 TT Stealth did at 'The Ring'. Having never driven a TT Stealth, I'd imagine the Viper could hold it's own against one if I was a betting man.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good tires and a smooth n steady foot on the turns and you'll be in love ... the viper drives like no other and once you get it you're hooked! The car delivers a drivers experience. :)

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Driven both ,turbo and non turbo Stealth and really like the car. I'd only own a turbo though. You'll love the Viper, but recommend upgrading with big brakes for non ABS models like the 99. I'd recommend to keep the Stealth for those winter driving days. Forum member RTTed [ banned for now ] could give you advise between the two , owning a Stealth and two Vipers himself. Maybe someone here has his email .

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a 92 TT Stealth and moved to a viper in 98. Do not regret it at all. The pull you feel with the stealth turbos in full throttle is just the beginning in the viper power band. I kept the stealth for about 3 months after the viper came, then got smart and got the wife a new ride by trading in the stealth.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 1998 GTS and currently own a 2003 viper and a 1991 TT 300ZX. You'll see a big difference in the power. You'll want to keep both. The TT for general weekend driving and the viper for those special days.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you'll be dissapointed, when the wrecker hauls the carnage away. Did you really just ask if you'd be dissapointed going from a Stealth to a Viper?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you'll be dissapointed, when the wrecker hauls the carnage away. Did you really just ask if you'd be dissapointed going from a Stealth to a Viper?

what i was thinking too.....

better to ask though i guess

not only rtttted, but i think JonB also knows both cars well too, if you're serious, it is worth a call to him

OP
OP
D

dak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what i was thinking too.....

better to ask though i guess

not only rtttted, but i think JonB also knows both cars well too, if you're serious, it is worth a call to him

haha no I dont drive like an idiot. I learn the limits of a car slowly and try to stay within them . Never wrecked a car in my life by driving stupid.

tks for the feedback so far guys

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have owned 3 Stealth TTs, (and one was featured in MoPar Performance news. Sept 1991.)

YOU WONT LOOK BACK....unless you need a bad-weather car. SO I kept a Stealh TT for my BEST EVER winter car. Even drove it to the IDITAROD in the winter of 1999....yep. Up the AlCan Highway in winter...

GOOD LUCK..... my contact info is in my profile, happy to chat....

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster here.
Looking for opinions from those of you that have a stealth and a Viper

I currently own a 94 twin turbo stealth and I love the car. The power and the AWD. When I drive this car I feel that when the the car is on the edge of loosing control the AWD reels it right back in. I cant really get myself in trouble with this car. Its a complete blast to drive.

I've wanted a Viper since I was 12 years old when I first saw it at the 92 auto show. I'm now in a position to pick up a very nice 99 GTS in great condition with under 20,000 miles
I've driven in a Viper but have never driven one myself.

Question is am I going to be dissapointed with this car after driving the stealth. I realize it is a completely different car and because of that I will probably keep the stealth as well.

I had a high HP dakota in my 20's as well so I do know what its like to have alot of power to the rear wheels and how it drives.

Don't think anyone is going to let me drive their Viper without making a commitment. I just don't want to make this purchase and then be dissapointed.

Any advice would be great!

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a 95 RT/TT for about 13 years now (have the boost at 14 lb's) and my 2000 GTS (paxton supercharger) for about 6 years. The stealth is a great car but once you drive a viper you will realize how heavy and slow it is. The pull from the viper with all that torque is a way more exciting drive than the stealth. Buy one and keep the stealth also, you won't regret it!

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a highly modified 95 VR4 and a supercharged 99 Viper and the Viper awesome car when comparing the two. The VR4 feels like a slug until the turbos kick in, but the Viper is instant power. If you do get a Viper, take it easy at first because it will get looser in the rear than a TT when you step on the go peddle.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper Club BBS:
I owned a 92 RT twin turbo (now owned by JonB) and later (because I missed it) bought a 93 3000 GT VR4 to keep along side the Viper, they are great cars!

My Stealth was pretty modified and even had a racing clutch so was able to chirp all 4 tires and run upper 12s in the quarter, which was near the same as the Gen 1 Viper for which I traded it in on in 97. That car was great year round in the Seattle area and we even took it skiing a few times to the mountain passes. Love it when you pass SUVs who are going very slow because of the snowfall and the Stealth just motors along at the speed limit without a care in the world.

It really depends on what you are looking for in the car. The Stealth/3000 has a lot of features which make it easy to drive from the ABS, all wheel drive and all wheel steering plus it does not have the torque which really minimizes the penalty for making a mistake.

On the other side of the coin, from the initial test drive in the Viper, 3rd gear will put a smile on your face as the 3/S just can't pull like that beyond 50 mph. It is a car that everywhere you go people will come out and look at it and talk to you about it. They will walk past Vettes and Porsches to come see the Viper, kids, adults, just about everyone.

If you are one who likes to do open track days and do not have a lot of experience with RWD high power vehicles, there will be a learning curve until you are faster than the Stealth. In my case it took me about 15 events (over two seasons) until I was faster in the Viper but now I honestly believe I am a better driver and can go fast in almost anything.
Some of the things I had heard of but never did with the Stealth that can become important in the Viper.
1) RPM matching on downshifts
2) Partial throttle
3) Threshold braking
4) Car balance, throttle maintenance

The other thing I had to learn (as did my friend Jay who also went from 3000VR4 to Viper) is that staying on the throttle and turning the steering wheel does save you with AWD, AWS but not so much with a Viper, it makes for a eye opening off track excursion or violent spin.

I highly recommend getting the Viper and getting to a driver's training event so that you have a happy long term relationship with your Viper rather than an oops that unfortunately seems to impact many Viper owners.

Sorry this got long winded, I loved both cars and would be happy to answer any specific questions!

James

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my 2 cents: I owned a mildly modified 3000gt VR4, upgraded turbos, fuel system, clutch, etc...

The viper is in a legue of it's own for overall driving experience compared to the VR4.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 2 Stealth R/T Turbos (91 and 94). I remember drooling when they were introduced in 91....really great looking cars. They were ahead of their time IMO...even though they are a bit on the heavy side. However, if I had to choose between one or the other, VIPER all the way. No nanny features like the Stealth, but the snake will plaster a uncontrollable smile on your face with every drive. You will have no regrets.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is only semi-related, but is a Stealth cheap to maintain? Looking for an AWD ******.

MADDMAXS57

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned both for over 10 years, keep both.

Distinctly different powerwise, recommend you buy the Viper and do a track days or autocross event to get to know the Vipers limits safely.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MOST (not all) stealths are turds, cant compare it to the viper. the fact you even asked is scary

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FastMatt here has a stealth TT that traps 160+ in the 1/4 mile. They can be wicked fast cars when built correctly :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Plum! "Before Viper" many here owned and almost universally loved the StealthTT / VR4 . I still do.... AWD, 4WS, ESP, and "Stealth-Mode" tunable exhaust ..... 20 years ago! My 92 came from GreenViper James in 1996, and now has 103K miles and feels like new. Dodge gave me a FREE tranfer case at 88K miles.....it was working fine at the time.

The StealthTT was a FANTASTIC car in its era, and even now as a bad-weather show-off. I can promise you that the most challenging, enjoyable, rewarding drive of my LIFE was in my Stealth TT: Car & Driver Benz scouting project, up the Alcan Hiway in winter, to the Iditarod. 36 hrs, 45 mins driving time from Portland OR to Anchorage. 2699 miles. Several legs at 120-140mph in snow-ice. At Muncho-Lake Yukon, the pre-arranged roadhouse fueler had to CHIP ME OUT OF THE ICE-SHEATHED STEALTH. I could not open the doors/windows.

Some **** !!

JonB

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently own a '91 Stealth, a 2000 RT/10 and an 09 ACR. The Stealth as stated above by several is a great all weather sports car. It does reasonably well in snow. However, the TT rated at 300 hp and weighing well over 4000 lbs is no match for any Viper. I would definitely hold onto the Stealth as a regular driver but the Viper will handle even better than the Stealth and be considerably faster. the one thing the Stealth does do much better at is fuel economy. I regularly get 27 mpg with the Stealth and about 12-15 in the Vipers.
PAVenomRT/10

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jon, **** as in SLOW. its a great daily driver for sure but not in the same class as a viper for power

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nothey are not very reliable. Not really because of the car but because by now you have a good chances that if you pick one up it has gone through the hands of several owners who have no idea how to work on them so its been beat, and not properly maintained.

They are cheap though, so fun to build up....im doing one now thats just 13t turbos with supporting mods....quick spool and holds boost decently so its a fun street car and stop light to stop light most cars will see your tail lights.

Fun cars, but definetly not the same class as a viper. You will not be disapointed; but i find that a lot of people that own a twin turbo 3s miss it if they get rid of it.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Stealth's and the GT3000 turbo cars are pretty neat. A friend of a friend had one that I rode in once or twice so that's the extent of my experience but it seemed like a fun car and pretty unique but I can think of other comparably priced cars that would make it easier to justify the garage space. I think you should keep the Stealth if you can when you get the Viper but you won't miss it much once you experience the P/W difference and the cool factor of the Viper.

Rapid1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy the viper!

I founded 3si.org in1997. Owned 12 3/S platform vehicles since 1991 up until this year when I sold my last two. A 91 modded rt/TT (about 378hp) and 92 modded rt/TT (about 400hp). I had a blast in both until I had an opp to buy a 93 viper. I didn't think twice. I have no regrets and I know enough folks with TT that will let me take one if I miss it. The viper on the other hard to come by or borrow.

That said it does take a lot more of a driver to handle the car even at even HP. The Awd and aws corrects alot and the tire size on the viper will take you down ruts if you let it.

The wife says " hell yeah. Move up in class"

Just sayin'.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Rapid: I agree with you!

But a rut-following, twitchy Viper is a result of ALIGBNMENT and TIRE CHOICE. Every Viper I have owned quickly becomes a 3-finger-driver after a performance alignment; And I ditch old, hard tires before they ditch me. {Glad I could keep my S-TT for winters}

JonB ~~~~~:<~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen