Front Bumper Underside Protector

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen a rake like piece that installs to protect scratching on underside of bumper.

What are the best products to help avoid this damage from bad roads?

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a used ACR front splitter, I don't get the scrapes under my bumper anymore. The splitter has some flex, it does make contact with the end of my driveway and my lift, and I hear it slide over speed bumps even when I creep over them.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have pics of that? Id appreciate it, also how much can I expect to pay and what is the install like?

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My pic:
You must be registered for see images

I bought a damaged one for $500 and repaired it. It had a split down the middle about 12" long, and a few cracks, and the ends needed repaired too. I added resin in a few places where layers were peeling apart and clamped it together. There is a stress crack just under the fog light on the pax side that I resinned and sanded down but the flaw still shows up if you look close you can see it. The outer edges and the front take the most beating but they just get worn down a little from scraping driveways and speed bumps. It isn't perfect but it adds to the appearance of the car, protects the bottom of the bumper and is functional.

There are multiple vendors and splitters that run various prices. The ACR splitter I think is the most expensive retail.

Install, it replaces the front belly pan, 4 bolts. I had to drill 2x holes under the bumper to allow the lanyards to pass through.

Attachments

• IMG_6180_detail.JPG
    IMG_6180_detail.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SnakeOyl Products sell the item you asked about. Here is a pic of one installed on a Gen 3 car

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a used ACR front splitter, I don't get the scrapes under my bumper anymore. The splitter has some flex, it does make contact with the end of my driveway and my lift, and I hear it slide over speed bumps even when I creep over them.

I like the ACR splitter on your car. Id like to see it on other color cars since it blends in with yours. Is it carbon fiber or fiberglass?
Thanks for all of your help. One more question, where can I buy a colored cover for the convertible top like that?

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the ACR splitter on your car. Id like to see it on other color cars since it blends in with yours. Is it carbon fiber or fiberglass?
Thanks for all of your help. One more question, where can I buy a colored cover for the convertible top like that?

Do a google image search for viper ACR splitter. Most of the photos you will find the car will be red. The splitter is carbon fiber.
The red top on my car is a used Autoform fiberglass hardtop that came off a red Viper. I originally intended to have the top painted to match but the red pops out on the black car so I've left it for now. I just moved to Brandon a couple months ago, I'll be back in the Tampa area this spring. We'll have to meet up.

F

FrgMstr

SnakeOyl Products sell the item you asked about. Here is a pic of one installed on a Gen 3 car

I have one of these, not really sure how much good it does as it gets scraped up in between and on the edges. But I do some driving in mountain switchbacks a couple times and year and there is NO DOUBT that you can hear it when it touches the pavement! In fact everyone in our run group hears it and asks if I left the nose somewhere...

And also, as for the splitter thing, that is a hell of a lot of money for something that is going to get shredded depending on the kind of driving you do. All these guys with lowered cars and ground effects could never drive some of the roads we do on driving trips....and let's not even talk about around town. Ouch.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you track the car or drive at high speeds very often, but I would worry about the front splitter creating downforce, but not having anything in the back to create downforce there as well. Seems like it could make the ass end pretty light.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you track the car or drive at high speeds very often, but I would worry about the front splitter creating downforce, but not having anything in the back to create downforce there as well. Seems like it could make the ass end pretty light.

I have the ACR splitter on my vert and Hennessey rear deck spoiler, not the big hoop style one, and have had no driving/handling issues. I will say the car handles better with the small amount of added downforce. From what I found doing some research on splitter designs, you can have some issues if you install the middle "tooth" section on the ACR one without having some substantial rear downforce and suspension spring rates to handle it.

Removing the hood vent grills on a gen4 hood will get you 200lb's of downforce at triple digit speeds.

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry OP for going off topic. True, the splitter is a very expensive piece to add just to use as a scrape shield. I noticed almost immediately after installing the splitter that my driveway and speed bump scrapes weren't as violent sounding so thought to add an alternative to the mix.

I haven't tracked the car yet but plan to. I started a thread earlier this year asking about running only a front splitter. The same comment came up about front downforce would cause the back end to lift. I had a conversation with a few Central Florida Viper Club members about it. Laurie tracks her car without aero gear and she mentioned noticing the rear floating at high speeds. I do have intentions of running a rear wing eventually. I know the OP was asking about the aluminum scraper for under the bumper.

I have the ACR splitter on my vert and Hennessey rear deck spoiler, not the big hoop style one, and have had no driving/handling issues. I will say the car handles better with the small amount of added downforce. From what I found doing some research on splitter designs, you can have some issues if you install the middle "tooth" section on the ACR one without having some substantial rear downforce and suspension spring rates to handle it.

Removing the hood vent grills on a gen4 hood will get you 200lb's of downforce at triple digit speeds.

Another point that was brought up in my thread, without the splitter extension I should be fine. I might be imagining things but without the rear wing, after installing the front splitter the car seemed to handle better. I haven't sustained track speeds but I imagine going faster I might be asking for it though.

Considering the vents on the gen4 hood are behind the front axle might removing the vents add downforce somewhat evenly front to rear?

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tracked mine at TWS and some high speed runs in Mexico and no issues with the rear of the car.

As for the OP question, it works great for protecting the nose of the car.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the carbon fiber parts use epoxy resin. If you used polyester resin to fix the splitter, this may be a reason why you have a crack, these resins are not compatible and polyester does not bond well to epoxy. The other way around is fine though.
My pic:

I bought a damaged one for $500 and repaired it. It had a split down the middle about 12" long, and a few cracks, and the ends needed repaired too. I added resin in a few places where layers were peeling apart and clamped it together. There is a stress crack just under the fog light on the pax side that I resinned and sanded down but the flaw still shows up if you look close you can see it. The outer edges and the front take the most beating but they just get worn down a little from scraping driveways and speed bumps. It isn't perfect but it adds to the appearance of the car, protects the bottom of the bumper and is functional.

There are multiple vendors and splitters that run various prices. The ACR splitter I think is the most expensive retail.

Install, it replaces the front belly pan, 4 bolts. I had to drill 2x holes under the bumper to allow the lanyards to pass through.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone it looks like the rake product doesnt work too well.
The splitter would make my car hit in the front even easier.

Are there any other products out there that protect the front bumper underside?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish my car was that clean underneath. :2tu:

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the carbon fiber parts use epoxy resin. If you used polyester resin to fix the splitter, this may be a reason why you have a crack, these resins are not compatible and polyester does not bond well to epoxy. The other way around is fine though.

Actually, I think the reason there's a crack is because the previous owner of the splitter went off road and high centered his car. I said resin in the first post but I used a 2 part epoxy to repair my splitter. I've lightly high centered it a couple times and was sure I tore the split back open but after getting it up on the lift was surprised to see the repair has held up. The major damage was underneath in the middle, the last 12" trailing all the way to the end if the splitter. The visible crack repair near the fog light doesn't bother me.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not seen this for a viper but this is something that should work considerably better than this rake thing.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/Product...+Rollers&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=GL2-SR&CTitle=&

Alternatively or in addition, you should consider something like this

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audio-electronics/2548792-front-camera.html

If money is no object, just get this and never scrape again

http://products.vividracing.com/kw_...ystem_dodge_viper_srt_10_03_07_1013852508.php

Thanks everyone it looks like the rake product doesnt work too well.
The splitter would make my car hit in the front even easier.

Are there any other products out there that protect the front bumper underside?