Funny Story

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 97 B/W GTS in January, ironically from my hometown in Naples, FL. I was a blind buy form a dealership owner who I guess wanted to move on to another car. I live in VA and had the car shipped to me.

Now since I am in the military, FL remains my state of residence, so I had the car registered in FL, using my parents address since it was the cheapest way to go, and did a vanity plate. The funny part is, I never told my parents I bought this Viper. I kept the secret from my friends and family in Florida so I wouldn't have to get the third degree for owning 3-vehicles.

Here is where it gets funny. I got a call from my father the other day. Apparently, Florida sent my tag to my parents house!!! So he calls and asks me why the state sent me a tag. Being the quick thinker that I am, I told him I was busy at the moment and said I would have to call him back LOL. The jig is up now, so after cursing up a storm for a few minutes, I called back and told him I bought a new toy. Needless to say, I got the third degree. Glad I don't have to hide it anymore, and I think my dad actually likes the car after sending him pictures of it.

Anyways, it was funny and thought I would share.

Jason
Suffolk, VA

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 97 B/W GTS in January, ironically from my hometown in Naples, FL. I was a blind buy form a dealership owner who I guess wanted to move on to another car. I live in VA and had the car shipped to me.

Now since I am in the military, FL remains my state of residence, so I had the car registered in FL, using my parents address since it was the cheapest way to go, and did a vanity plate. The funny part is, I never told my parents I bought this Viper. I kept the secret from my friends and family in Florida so I wouldn't have to get the third degree for owning 3-vehicles.

Here is where it gets funny. I got a call from my father the other day. Apparently, Florida sent my tag to my parents house!!! So he calls and asks me why the state sent me a tag. Being the quick thinker that I am, I told him I was busy at the moment and said I would have to call him back LOL. The jig is up now, so after cursing up a storm for a few minutes, I called back and told him I bought a new toy. Needless to say, I got the third degree. Glad I don't have to hide it anymore, and I think my dad actually likes the car after sending him pictures of it.

Anyways, it was funny and thought I would share.

Jason
Suffolk, VA

All men need at least two vehicles, and usually three. You need a toy, a daily driver, and a work horse. That's just the way it is....nothing to hide (and who cares what your parents think anyway...you're a grown man, right? It's not like you were out ****** women! :D )

I bought my Viper from a dealer in Deerfield Beach...freakin' criminals that they are. :D

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[ quote my dad acutally likes the car after sending him some pictures

Congrats on your great find.....how bout posting some pics for us?...we might appreciate them more!!:cool:

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Funny Story + Pics

All men need at least two vehicles, and usually three. You need a toy, a daily driver, and a work horse. That's just the way it is....nothing to hide (and who cares what your parents think anyway...you're a grown man, right? It's not like you were out ****** women! :D )

I bought my Viper from a dealer in Deerfield Beach...freakin' criminals that they are. :D

I hear you brother. In addition to the Viper, I have a 1991 Corvette ZR1 with lots of mods, and a 1998 Silverado Z71. However, with my family, it's a little more complicated than that. This is not really Viper related anymore, I'm going to brag about my parents a little now...

My parents started out with nothing, and built themselves up to become very well off. As a result, I was raised in a stable, but strict, home, and I'm sooo grateful for it because if it wasn't for my parents I would never be where I'm at today. The last thing my parents gave me was a $2700 check to pay for books and a laptop when I went off to college back in 1997, that was it, everything else has been advice and guidance. So because they never gave me handouts, I worked hard to get where I'm at. I owe it all to them.

Point is, because of all that, my parents still have influence over me because I value their thoughts and opinions on everything, and when it comes to owning 3-cars, they think I'm not putting my money in the right places, which is investments for when I get older. Don't get me wrong, I do well with investments too, but I'm more interested in striking a balance between having fun with my toys and saving money.

Ok, enough off topic stuff, here are shots of the car, which has also been posted on a couple other threads...

You must be registered for see images attach

This is an actual shot of me in my Viper in a bridge tunnel, very cool...

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Funny Story + Pics

I hear you brother. In addition to the Viper, I have a 1991 Corvette ZR1 with lots of mods, and a 1998 Silverado Z71. However, with my family, it's a little more complicated than that. This is not really Viper related anymore, I'm going to brag about my parents a little now...

My parents started out with nothing, and built themselves up to become very well off. As a result, I was raised in a stable, but strict, home, and I'm sooo grateful for it because if it wasn't for my parents I would never be where I'm at today. The last thing my parents gave me was a $2700 check to pay for books and a laptop when I went off to college back in 1997, that was it, everything else has been advice and guidance. So because they never gave me handouts, I worked hard to get where I'm at. I owe it all to them.

Point is, because of all that, my parents still have influence over me because I value their thoughts and opinions on everything, and when it comes to owning 3-cars, they think I'm not putting my money in the right places, which is investments for when I get older. Don't get me wrong, I do well with investments too, but I'm more interested in striking a balance between having fun with my toys and saving money.

Ok, enough off topic stuff, here are shots of the car, which has also been posted on a couple other threads...

This is an actual shot of me in my Viper in a bridge tunnel, very cool...

Very well said, and GREAT pictures, especially the tunnel shot. It's great to see hard work and smart thinking pay off with rewards like these, isn't it? :usa::usa::usa:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,
LOVE your beautiful car!!!! But, probably love your story even more. It's SOOOO nice to see a man appreciate what their parents have gone through, and not afraid to say so.
Hope you forward any of what you've written to your parents..they would be proud.
ENJOY the beaut!!! ~juli~

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason,
LOVE your beautiful car!!!! But, probably love your story even more. It's SOOOO nice to see a man appreciate what their parents have gone through, and not afraid to say so.
Hope you forward any of what you've written to your parents..they would be proud.
ENJOY the beaut!!! ~juli~

Thanks Juli, I appreciate the kind words, and my parents definately know how much I appreciate them. I'm really looking forward to them visiting now, I want my dad to take the Viper for a spin. I've been trying to get him to buy a hot car like a Lambo or something similar, maybe a spin in the Viper will spring him into buying something :2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's wonderful that you and your parents are so close and that you'd actually LET your Dad drive your Viper!! Mike's Dad thinks of our Viper as like a "Matchbox Toy", :drive: loves the car, but is afraid to drive it. Have fun with the car and your folks! ~juli~

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's wonderful that you and your parents are so close and that you'd actually LET your Dad drive your Viper!! Mike's Dad thinks of our Viper as like a "Matchbox Toy", :drive: loves the car, but is afraid to drive it. Have fun with the car and your folks! ~juli~

Oh I'm not worried about my father driving my Viper. For one, he has been driving for longer than I've been alive, and did a lot of racing when he was younger. In addition, if he wrecks it, I know he has the funds to cover it :D

Besides, he'd shoot me if I said no, its just one of those situations where you don't say no to dad ;)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha!! Mike's Dad also raced cars, flew airplanes, but is now 79 years old and is NOT as alert :omg: as he used to be, and at least acknowledges it and is scared of the power of the car--we're grateful for that!! But boy does he LOVE the car!!! That's great that your Dad is still able to drive a car like that....sharing / racing runs in the family, huh?! You must have great confidence :2tu: in him to say he has the funds to cover it and not worry!!! Good for you all...totally ENJOY your gorgeous car AND your parents! :D ~juli~

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gotcha!! Mike's Dad also raced cars, flew airplanes, but is now 79 years old and is NOT as alert :omg: as he used to be, and at least acknowledges it and is scared of the power of the car--we're grateful for that!! But boy does he LOVE the car!!! That's great that your Dad is still able to drive a car like that....sharing / racing runs in the family, huh?! You must have great confidence :2tu: in him to say he has the funds to cover it and not worry!!! Good for you all...totally ENJOY your gorgeous car AND your parents! :D ~juli~

Thats interesting, my father is a retired pilot LOL! He is only 58 though, so he has plenty of years left to get into a fast car. I'm a young buck, only 28. Hope Mike's father is doing well, even though he is less "alert" these days.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VERY small world, isn't it????? Actually Mike's Dad is in the hospital as of today, he had a mini-stroke, the guy is amazing--still cares for 2 horses, chores, first year he won't be harvesting hay--and it's ******* him off!!! Hard to keep a good man down. We aren't as young as you, :rolleyes: but consider ourselves 'wild and crazy'!! ;) What else WOULD a Viper Owner be??? :D :cool: Glad to hear your Dad has many years to drive 'crazy' as well! (by that I do not mean 'reckless', I mean enjoying!!)
~juli~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery