Gas Cap Reassembly

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever reassembled their gas cap? I removed mine to get it painted white. The guys at the shop laughed, so I told them I was joking and to just chrome the SOB. :D

I get a call from them and they are going to take the assembly apart to polish & chrome every individual part, but they stated they can't put anything back together because they will not be responsible for any damage caused by the reassembly.

Will this be as straight forward as it seems? There's what, 4-5 total parts? :dunno:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever reassembled their gas cap? I removed mine to get it painted white. The guys at the shop laughed, so I told them I was joking and to just chrome the SOB. :D

I get a call from them and they are going to take the assembly apart to polish & chrome every individual part, but they stated they can't put anything back together because they will not be responsible for any damage caused by the reassembly.

Will this be as straight forward as it seems? There's what, 4-5 total parts? :dunno:

I would take it off yourself and take the gas cap to them... I would not trust a "shop" to do it unless they've done it before.

GTSLou

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had mine powder coated a few months ago and I had to get a metal shop to take the assembly apart.
Note - I have an 01 GTS and that cap comes with plastic pins, had to buy an early Gen II that is built using brass pins.
Don't think you can take apart the plastic one and reassemble without making new hardware.
2 drift pins - 1 for the latch and 1 for the hinge on the cap.
After helping the same guy to reassemble it I would do it my self again, but it helps to have an extra set of hands.
Reassembly was harder due to having to get the little spring in the right position.
Sorry I didn't take any pics of the process.
It helped to have my original to compare it with.

I know not much help but you get an idea of what your getting into.

Lou

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust them to do it. You already know how since you disassembled it. You will need to lubricate the rubber donut and use a "tool" or coat hanger to pull the fuel filler tube up throught the assembly.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/633049-gts-gas-cap-2.html

I'm talking about the actual reassembly of the gas cap, not the re-installation. Reassembling the cap will be harder than installing the cap back on the car. :(

One shop quoted 6-8 weeks!!!!!! I went with another locally well known shop, as their turnaround was only 2-3 weeks.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes during the chroming process, extra material gets into where the pins go. Clearances might be too close for reassembly.

They laughed at you for wanting to paint it???? F#@% them.....:mad:
6-8 weeks for chroming????? F that!:dunno:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They are idiots!!! Run away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes during the chroming process, extra material gets into where the pins go. Clearances might be too close for reassembly.

They laughed at you for wanting to paint it???? F#@% them.....:mad:
6-8 weeks for chroming????? F that!:dunno:

Sorry, painting it white was my failed attempt at humor. :D

On the companies website, as well as competitors, they state any product sent for chroming must be completely disassembled. Some even charge a minimum $25 disassembly fee!!

I guess this is why the chrome exchanges charge well over $100. :D

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would not chrome it. I actually painted mine black to match the wheels I had painted at the same time. Chrome is way over done, the whole bling thing is over. I used some allen head bolts to bolt mine back together.
You must be registered for see images

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The black is actually metallic but you cant tell in the photo.
I would like to get some push pins instead of the bolts, but nobody ever said a thing about the bolts to me.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a spare and have been thinking of disassembling and clear powdercoating it with clear satin or gloss.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same problem when I tried to have mine chromed. They wouldn't take it apart so I had them strip and polish it instead.

Ron

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang