Gas Pedal Blues

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a weird situation with the go pedal on a 98 GTS racecar today. It was dark when I left the track so I'll come back with a flashlight tomorrow to check it out but wonder if anyone has been down this road and can advise me on fasteners/clips/other stuff that might be required to fix.

Whenever I take my foot off the gas pedal, the thing tilts forward (top tilts toward the engine) so when I go back to the gas my foot is essentially pushing on the bottom edge of the pedal (not the flat part, the thin bottom edge. I compensated by simply coming off the brake and pushing the very bottom of the pedal to square it before getting back on the gas...it works but its annoying and definitely costs me a second to do this extra maneuver. It also makes it harder to heel-toe rev-match, not impossible but much more uncertain.

So for anyone who has had this issue and corrected it, the question is "how is the gas pedal secured to the stalk and what has likely come loose to make it tilt like this?" I can ht a parts store early tomorrow and pick up the right fastener if I know what it is. If its some unique-to-Viper special clip or something I'm screwed.

Has anyone out there experienced this and what does it take to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, the pick of the reverse side was very helpful. If the spring is still there (or on the floor somewhere) I think I can bring a bucketload of thin bolts....one of which might be the right size (unless the person who shot the pic drilled out the dowel hole to accommodate the bolt.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it. Turns out the hole had already been enlarged for a bolt and the spring had been replaced by a spacer so pedal movement dynamics are controlled simply by tightening the bolt. The pic helped a lot (I knew what it shoulda looked like....even when I was down there everything was too close to see well.....even with specs!) Thanks again.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me this weekend. I found the pin and pedal on the floor but I can't locate the spring. I've been looking through this thread for the picture everybody is talking about but can't seem to find it. It may be in the first link Steve posted but I get an error when I go to page 2 of that thread. Can someone repost that picture or send it to me. I need to know what type of spring I need and how it goes back together.

Sam

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's why we're here!

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, replace the stupid pin with a screw and nut (like in this pic). Once the pin comes loose it does it again.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dr. Taco. I couldn't find it but it sure does help when its dark and you have to figure it out by braille!

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just 'a spring' won't do. The shape of the spring is very odd! You're going to need to replace with OEM either from a dealer or salvage yard. Also, you may as well go ahead and spend the time finding the correct diameter and length of bolt. I cut my bolt down to fit, but if you do that, thread on a regular nut below the cut line before you cut it. This will allow you to back the nut off prior to installation to clean up the threads. The final nut for assembly should be a lock nut!

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took care the the problem of the pin falling out by drilling a hole and adding a cotter pin.

IMG_0819.JPG

I've been trying to find an OEM spring, but it looks like I'll have to buy the whole pedal assembly. Nobody sells just the spring including salvage yards.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also put spacer tubes between the plastic fins (so they aren't stressed), and use a fully threaded bolt to tie it together (instead of the pin). Then just tighten the bolt in the position you want the pedal and you have a sturdy, non-flexible pedal mount. Some people like the spring action.....some don't, but offering it as an option (or even a temporary fix so you can drive while you're looking for a spring!).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang