Gas smell from garaged Viper

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the past few days I've smelled gas in the garage coming from the Viper. I started the engine and the engine started to race and go to high RPMs. I turned the engine off fast before it red lines.

While the engine was off, I quickly tapped the gas pedal a couple of times to see if maybe the pedal was stuck. I then started it again and it was fine. Thought maybe I fixed it, but it smells like gas still when parked in the garage.

maybe I didn't burn it all off. I'll try again tonight.

Also, I recently took it outside to wash/wax it - there was no gas spill on the garage floor - so obviously just gas vapors. I also popped the hood to clean/wipe some parts of the engine compartment. It's possible I hit the throttle wire or something, though I doubt it.

I also recently added a new SnakeOyl floor mat, so thought maybe I jammed it up against the gad pedal, but felt my hand down under the dash and didn't seem like it was applying pressure.

Any ideas? Anything I should check? I'm no mechanic, so i'll need exact location & description within the engine compartment if you want me to look for something.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it would be anything to do with the throttle as it only controls the throttle bodies. If you smell gas I would check the fuel lines and maybe the gas tank ventilation system. Start with your gas cap. Then maybe the fuel filter connections.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas leaking from an injector is hard to find, since it can evaporate prior to pooling. If it is coming from the tank, filler neck, or fuel line those areas will typically have a visible sign.

Does it have the smell with the tank close to empty or just when full, some people have had an issue with a filler neck that was loose, if that is the case the odor is only present when near full.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid, but having done this make sure to check all the OTHER sources in the garage, lawn mowers, gas cannisters, chain saws, generators, etc. I've been fooled by these things thinking it was the car.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the air intake off, crack open the throttle with the engine off and see if the smell is coming from inside the intake manifold. If so, sounds like a lower injector o-ring failed. Eliminate everything else, then worst case new rings are $60 or so IIRC and easy to install.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet it is an injector leaking. I had a friends car have the same symptoms, including the engine revving when first starting up.

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I neglected to schedule a time to bring it in to see the Wizard before I left for vacation. Just called Chuck and looks like he's pretty booked for at least a couple weeks. Silly me. I should have known he'd be busy now, especially with such nice hot Viper-driving weather.

Chuck's a very popular guy, so I think we need to clone him so we can all get our Viper's serviced by da man!

Course, there would still only be one Wizard. :)

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DOH! It wasn't the Viper after all. It was the main oil tank in the garage installed with the house in 1955. It was slowly leaking, but took a long time to notice since it was pooling on the ground far back where there is no light. I had no idea oil could small like gasoline. Everyone that visited thought it was gas too. Wiping up the oil and sniffing it it smells like oil, but the air itself smelled like gasoline. The Viper engine racing when I started it a few weeks ago made me sure it was the cause, but it looks like I must have just hit the accelerator when I installed the new carpets.

I wish it were the Viper since a new oil tank is gonna run me $2500. There goes the Roe supercharger fund. :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950