Gen 1 mod help?

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 95 with the all the basic bolt ons (exhaust, gearing, filter).

I'm seeking some advice on which would be the best way to go.

1. headwork and cams.

2. supercharged/turbo

3. sell or trade it in for a newer model.

My research netted head work and cams installed, tuned about 6k. With an approximate 50-80 hp rear wheel gain.
Option 2 about 10k-13k installed (supercharged) with an dapproximate 110-140 hp gain on pump fuel.
Option 3 18k-22k trade in value toward a newer model at the dealership?

I primarily use the vehicle for nice sunday drives but sometimes (3-4 times per year) I take it to the dragstrip.

As time marches on the once dominating car becomes somewhat ordinary as I see guys with GTR's, newer vettes, supercharged mustangs, modified tuner cars etc. meeting or surpassing my relatively stock vehicles performance.

In a perfect world i would like a powerful and civil street car with little maintenance required. I use to mess around with the old school 5.0 mustangs back in the day and now i'm not interested in spending many weekends under the hood of my car.

Any thoughts or comments would greatly be appreciated.

mrbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do like i did , a little n2o , 150 shot . i use a vec 2 to trigger . that way you keep your drive ability and have your security weapon when you need it

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Option 3 ...
My thinking is: if you really want to keep up with the modern rides you need to trade up and start with a car that's not 16 years old. IMHO the gen 1 viper is never gonna be as fast as you want it to be and modding the heck out of it is likely going to bring its value down rather than up in most people's minds (your experience may be different). I'd leave it alone and live with the fact that the early vipers are not the king of the road anymore.

My .02

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are looking for a civil street car and occasional drag strip, the S/C is the way to go. It's not going to change the idle and low RPM characteristics of the car much. If you are looking for 1/4 mile performance, you can get a Gen1 up there in HP for reasonable investment. The NOS route is also a scenario, if you just want to pull the trigger now and again. Some do the NOS with a SC.

I've had both a ROE S/C Gen1 and GG Heads/CAM package. For my use, the Heads/CAM package is much better. However, I'm not a 1/4 mile guy.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 3.55 gears, heads/cam, intake and throttle bodies, headers and VEC2 in my 95 Viper, got it to a pretty reliable 525hp (about 450 rw-hp) every time I tried to go higher I found a new weakest link from clutch to tranny to rearend, probably due to heat as I drove it ******* road courses.

If you opt to do the heads, you should consider talking to LPE, they sold me a great package for my GEN2 Viper and were reasonably priced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I still think the old adage no replacement for displacement still holds true. TexasPetty what are your final numbers now that you changed to a bigger cam? AndrewZ I currently have 3.73 gears and live at a mile high location. jdeft1: I'm not real concerned about the cars value but before i do anything else the thought was trading it in on a newer version. Once I throw a ton more money at it.......... I see your point. mrbob: NOS? work well but i'm looking for an everyday power increase but....
Green Viper i see what you did in your signature.