Gen 4 prices going to drop like led bricks in 5 days

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real ballers buy the new one without having to sell the old one first.

You said it!!! There are still enough people in this economy that could be first time Viper buyers and sell out the first production run for the GenV. It's not like SRT is going to build 35,000 a year like GM does their halo car and dilute the market.

I think the new Viper will be an awesome home run. I also think it is going to bring in a new type of buyer to the market. Guys(girls to) that want a super fast car, lots of power, interior that rivals luxury cars, but have all the nanny gadgets to make them feel safe.

Marketing...now buyers can say they dropped $120K on an SRT...not a Dodge. SRT sounds better in the Lambo and Ferrari circles.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...besides, the Viper has always had traction control. To paraphrase the Grailkeeper; "The Viper does come with traction control, they're called your feet. Learn to use them."
:tx:

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I am hearing from my inside source at Dodge, this new Viper is going to blow away everyone's expectations. Finally a car fully thought out. That being said, if I had a Gen 4, I would sell it fast. The hit to them is going to be real real bad. I'm sure many of you can afford to upgrade, but man, anyone who bought an msrp viper is going to take a huge hit. I still can't get over dealers tryin to get 100+ grand for 2010 acr vipers. Prepare to see those cars going for like 85 by end of summer.

I'll sell you my ACR for $150,000.00

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dear Norstradamus of Used Car Values,

I have been in the automotive business for 22 years, and I have only sold around 1300 new Vipers since 1999. Please give me your wonderfully insightful wisdom as to how new ACRs will be selling for 85K this Summer when we don't have any left at our Dealership , and there are just a handful left in the Country. I am just a simple country bumpkin, but it leaves me wondering how a vehicle can sell for such a sum if there are none available . The logic just kind of escapes me.................

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have been in the automotive business for 22 years, and I have only sold around 1300 new Vipers since 1999. Please give me your wonderfully insightful wisdom as to how new ACRs will be selling for 85K this Summer when we don't have any left at our Dealership , and there are just a handful left in the Country. I am just a simple country bumpkin, but it leaves me wondering how a vehicle can sell for such a sum if there are none available . The logic just kind of escapes me.................

Best reply yet , Bill - AMEN!

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ROFLMAO! Bill! Bill! FTW!

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse:3056724 said:
Please give me your wonderfully insightful wisdom as to how new ACRs will be selling for 85K this Summer when we don't have any left at our Dealership , and there are just a handful left in the Country...

Well duh Bill...his insider at Dodge said so.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What are you thinking bringing facts into the equation? :rolaugh:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kaneda, if your theory works, you should call Doug at Willowbrook and see if he'll sell you his brand new 2009 Yellow/black ACR for 85K?

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's likely that I will be selling my Gen 4 coupe this summer.....to get a used ACR. :) I'm interested to see what happens to the prices and who else will be selling...that's the only thing that matters. Seems like a few ACRs going for 72-78k-ish. Sounds like a steal to me. I don't think the Gen 5 will have any direct effect on the prices other than to increase them. See you all on the 4th. :)

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My plan is to keep my 03 for at least another two years. At that time, I will be looking at Gen 4s. However, I know it is going to cost me some $$ in addition to my car. That is, if I can justify(or afford )it. My Gen 3 is already more powerful than I can ever used, and in the two years I've owned it, I've never felt the need for more power, LOL! If some sort of smokin' deal came along sooner, I would consider it.

But, Gen 4s may depreciate slightly more (as will my Gen 3), but "drop like a lead brick"? Don't think so.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen IV will always maintain an unique position in the Viper world.

With the release of the next generation the Gen IV will have the status of the most developed of all the original designed, Shelby inspired, back to basics muscle/sports cars.

With no electronic drivers aids, non adjustable suspension, and pretty raw power delivery, they perhaps will be thought of as the ultimate drivers car.

While the new car may develop better numbers, the originals will most likely be always be considered the beast that must be tamed by the driver.

This excitement and adrenaline fueled driving experience is shared by very few, and I believe will always be charished.

But as with all things, time moves on. The new car promises to provide a different driving experience. It looks to be much classier, and of higher quality. It is the further development of the Viper DNA to provide additional refinement and an upgraded driving experience.

Only the marketplace will determine the value of earlier cars. For someone to come here and proclaim they can fortel future Viper prices is perhaps just a bit arrogant.

My prediction is that there will continue to be an active marketplace for pre-owned Vipers, and that the marketplace will continue to do the job of properly pricing these vehicles. Current owners will always think they are selling to cheap, while prospective buyers will continue to think of them as to expensive.

As the Viper faithful begin their journeys to the NY autoshow, and Viper reveal, we await eagerly their impressions, and information about the new Viper. I am sure, but as for other cars some will think it to expensive, and others think it to cheap, but I guess that is just the natural way of things.

If the MSRP is deemed to high, expect discounts to be available as production ramps up to supply the demand. If MSRP is to low expect premiums to be placed on the window sticker by dealers, but as with all things, the marketplace will have it's say.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This makes no sense what-so-ever. When a new Shelby has 650bhp, it's not a win for all Shelby's. It means NOBODY wants the old model because major improvements have occurred. Why would Dodge release a so-so new Viper? This thing is going to be a much better overall car. 99% of people do not want a raw car with no traction control and that much power. That is the main reason why Vipers lose so much value. People buy them, get scared in them, then trade them. It's why you see so many 3 owner cars with less than 10,000 miles. This new car will be THE ONLY viper that won't scare the **** out of its driver. It will be a keeper.

Did you go out and buy one of those cheap depreciated Shelbys??? I just took a look at the prices. Looks like normal depreciation to me. And no, you can't have a Viper until you grow up.

G

Gotvenom 08

Sounds so much like another member in the "KNOW". Just joined and has all this info.I think he is an AE and just baiting.As he does a great job on getting views and responses.Look at the name and then look at the name of who told us the viper is costing 137,000. :rolleyes:

I did shut him down on another site as he was spewing "his inside info" when indeed he never saw the viper in UTAH or at the Illinois party.But he still has all the conjecture on things.

Just saying but it seems like a similar MO.

My opinion and I do approve this message!

T

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the Gen 4's are into the 50's thats going to be one hell of allot of performance for the money. I have a highly modded gen 2, but I want a gen 4 to park next to it. Once they are in the 50's I dont think I will be able to stop my self from buying one. I Expect it's going to be another yr befor Nice 08's and 09's can be had in the 50's...

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LED bricks? Cool!

You must be registered for see images

My post has more info about future Gen IV prices than OP's post.

Last edited:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once the Gen 4's are into the 50's thats going to be one hell of allot of performance for the money. I have a highly modded gen 2, but I want a gen 4 to park next to it. Once they are in the 50's I dont think I will be able to stop my self from buying one. I Expect it's going to be another yr befor Nice 08's and 09's can be had in the 50's...

I'm with you on this one, but I think at least two years. You figure the 08s will be 6 years old by that time.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually there are LED bricks available. They are solar powered and you can install them on the driveway edge or pool/patio decking. No more friends and lawn men running over your driveway illumination.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG, everyone quickly sell your soon to be worthless car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:hitwithrock:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would sell mine right now, but the way things are going with the used Viper market (according to this thread) it's worth nothing. So I guess I'm stuck with it...........what a bummer....:(

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would sell mine right now, but the way things are going with the used Viper market (according to this thread) it's worth nothing. So I guess I'm stuck with it...........what a bummer....:(

You poor guy. You know, I'm feeling pretty generous today, so I'll give you a crisp new $100 bill for your car! What do you think about that?!

DublinOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned many cars over the years and I only have five that I've not lost money on. The five I haven't sold yet! Cars depreciate, fact of life. Some depreciate much slower than others. Drive them and enjoy them, the viper experience is priceless.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've owned many cars over the years and I only have five that I've not lost money on. The five I haven't sold yet! Cars depreciate, fact of life. Some depreciate much slower than others. Drive them and enjoy them, the viper experience is priceless.

This is perhaps the best comment in this thread.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You better hope not.
If 08's and '09's are in the 50's your Gen 2 will be in the teens.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The average car depreciates 15-20% the minute you drive it home and then 12-15% a year after that. Vipers don't seem to depreciate that quickly and they seem to bottom out at about 40-50% of their original price and then fluctuate up and down from there. That seems to be the general trend through 20 years and 4 generations of the cars.