Gen 4 prices going to drop like led bricks in 5 days

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking I might look into buying a Gen 4 maybe in a year, hoping the prices might come down some, but after seeing the Gen 5?...... Gen 5 all the way.

Ok, so you are waiting for a Gen 4 to come down lower ($50's?) but you're going to buy a car with a price tag double that? I have to say that doesn't make sense to me.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, so you are waiting for a Gen 4 to come down lower ($50's?) but you're going to buy a car with a price tag double that? I have to say that doesn't make sense to me.

Completely agree. Maybe after seeing the gen5 he decided to wait 5-10 years for the price of the gen5 to come down. I know patience is a virtue but in this case it just sounds ridiculous.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will try to sell both my current rides to see where i am with money when im done. Still gonna be short about 25k. Is it worth it, not sure. But the car looks pretty sweet.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to start a ****** match or anything about gen 4 values, but wasn't there a one or two red 08s on here for 59k or less? One was venom red with a cage/bar and some other goodies other was viper red with higher miles? 40k?

I don't recall exact details, but I def know the higher mileage one was in the 50s.

I too had a dealer offer me a violet coupe with silver stripes for 58k down in Vegas last summer. It looked a little "ragged" in the pics, funky aftermarket shifter, some lower rash on the bumper, aftermarket radio etc. I'm sure a detailing would have gone a long way, sharp color though.

I guess my point is 08s can be had in the high 50s if you are patient and are not looking for a garage queen with 3k miles on it.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Despite what some naysayers say I think the Gen 4's are going to be pretty popular and hold their value fairly well.
This is not directed at you ACRucrazy..
Look. It will cost at least 110-112K to get into a base SRT Gen 5 now, and that assumes you buy at MSRP.
(100K base price, guzzler tax, sales tax and shipping to you) and thats before you
add a single option like a stripe. This is the bare bones model. The GTS will start at 125K. That's a lot of dough.
The G5 will be surely faster, but only incrementally. 600 vs. 640. Better gearing. So you take a Gen 4 at 600HP at lets say 65-70K or less.
Seems like a great deal for 600 HP. Add some headers for what +35HP? Not bad at all.
Latest and greatest? No. Great car for the money? YES.

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Despite what some naysayers say I think the Gen 4's are going to be pretty popular and hold their value fairly well.
This is not directed at you ACRucrazy..
Look. It will cost at least 110-112K to get into a base SRT Gen 5 now, and that assumes you buy at MSRP.
(100K base price, guzzler tax, sales tax and shipping to you) and thats before you
add a single option like a stripe. This is the bare bones model. The GTS will start at 125K. That's a lot of dough.
The G5 will be surely faster, but only incrementally. 600 vs. 640. Better gearing. So you take a Gen 4 at 600HP at lets say 65-70K or less.
Seems like a great deal for 600 HP. Add some headers for what +35HP? Not bad at all.
Latest and greatest? No. Great car for the money? YES.

Exactly! (although I am sure someone upstairs will strike me down for agreeing with Jon), While the new 5 does have a myriad of advancements, sometimes less is more. What attracted me to Viper in the first place was the raw visceral experience. As I was driving last night, enjoying this incredible car and scanning the analog gauges that you can evaluate all in 1/2 a second, it occured to me that there will continue to be a following for this car, especially since the styling cues have returned to the gen 1-2 car. In my mind, much better than spending who knows what on a ZR1 that looks like every other damn car on the road!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
although I am sure someone upstairs will strike me down for agreeing with Jon),

That hurts my feelings.
Anyway, I posted a link to the spec sheet on the Gen 5 and it is an amazing car there is no doubt.
However, if you are planning on getting a base SRT you better like red or black 'cause the other colors are $optional$.
And I think we can all safely say options won't be coming cheap on the new car.
Can anyone argue that getting a new Gen 4 ACR (a few left) at 95K is not a steal now?
Or a lightly used regular model at 70?

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the bolded "am an owner" lol. I guess I should bold this as well....I have a 2008 Coupe. :p Man, I never realized that VCA became so hostile to non-members (my membership just lapsed and since I had a press pass to NY there was no need to renew it). Anyways, I bought my car in Dec. 2010 and regularly follow lots of car prices. Believe me, I don't want my car to loose value as I'll likely be selling it this summer, I'm just saying that I've seen some out there. maybe the reveal is already taking effect. I'm glad to be proven wrong.

My car :p
You must be registered for see images

I've been following the market as well and am an owner as of a year ago. I get vipers for sale "pushed" to me on a daily basis (Oodle, etc) via email. I just looked on several sites for 08-09 Vipers and found one 08 on Ebay for $56K - hasn't met the reserve yet. All of the other 08's I have seen are, at a minimum, $63K sell priced. In fact, there are a bunch of 09's out there (Tomball Ford for instance) that are at least $105K! Go figure!!

Last edited:

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to start a ****** match or anything about gen 4 values, but wasn't there a one or two red 08s on here for 59k or less? One was venom red with a cage/bar and some other goodies other was viper red with higher miles? 40k?

I don't recall exact details, but I def know the higher mileage one was in the 50s.

I too had a dealer offer me a violet coupe with silver stripes for 59k down in Vegas last summer. It looked a little "ragged" in the pics, funky aftermarket shifter, some lower rash on the bumper, aftermarket radio etc. I'm sure a detailing would have gone a long way, sharp color though.

I guess my point is 08s can be had in the high 50s if you are patient and are not looking for a garage queen with 3k miles on it.

The cars you are quoting are basket cases. That is not a fair assessment of market value.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Beautiful.
Venom red with white stripes is killer.

Yes, I have had had the pleasure of seeing Stranger's car in person (at a show in Hershey last year), and it is a STUNNER. If I could afford it, I would buy it from him. Have to sell my Gen3 first, and an arm, and my left nut!

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since when did buying a car, that is hardly driven that much during the year, where 15,000 miles is considered "high mileage", make economic sense?

This is a TOY for many people, not primary mode of transportation. I could either pay $50k cash for a Gen 4 in a year or $50k for a Gen 5 and finance the rest.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cars you are quoting are basket cases. That is not a fair assessment of market value.

I wouldn't say they were basket cases by any means. They were just used, not garage queens. Neither of them looked like they would fall apart. And all 3 had clean titles AFAIK

I should have saved pics of them. I wouldnt be embarrassed to drive any of them. But I guess I usually take apart every "keeper" I buy and detail the hell out of it before I put it into regular use so I know what a little elbow grease can do.

As far as increasing MSRP holding the price of older models, I totally see where that is coming from. Example I really enjoy home theater. Maybe some of you have heard of B&W, Bowers & Wilkins. I have a pair of Nautilus 802 speakers which retailed for $8000 back in 1999/2000ish. In 2004 or so they were worth around $4000 used. Well as the new models came out, 802D and 802DI, the MSRP increased with each one. Because of this, my N802s that are 13 years old are worth $4000-5000 depending on condition because the cost of admission has increased on the new models to nearly $16,000.

08s in the 50s can and do happen, all you have to do is keep an eye out and accept the car may have 20k or more miles on it. Doesn't mean they are basket cases or anything. I wish I remember what that red viper went for, I think it ended up selling for 50k? There was a thread on here about it, I don't recall it had to of been 5-6 months ago, maybe more.

Anyways I am all for discussion as long as people don't start insulting others to try and make a point. (not directed at you, just making a statement)

Is 50k the average retail of a gen 4? No, but to say they cant be had for that price is obviously incorrect.

Looking on ebay I see 3 08s that have sold.

blue 08 coupe with salvage title 14k miles for $51great price, Solid price but I would probably pass on a salvage
orange 1 owner clean title vert with 8k miles for $57 smoking price for a sharp 1 owner car. Looks like its being flipped for $66k on autotrader by a dealer.
venom red 3 owner clean coupe 11k miles for $57 great price on a clean coupe

ebay non completed ads

venom red 1 owner 19k mile 08 coupe (non garage queen) @ $55 no reserve, 0 bids and 5 hrs left
venom red 3 owner 6k mile convert BIN $53,900 salvage title. Clean looking, sounds like it was done right and it was a bumper, wheel, tire, some suspension, id prolly pass though
black 08 ACR with 2k on it for BIN of 79

Auto trader:

2008 Dodge Viper with very low mileage. This is an excellent buy for someone serious about owning a Dodge Viper. All scheduled maintenance, All records, Always garaged, Custom wheels, Factory GPS system, Looks & drives great, Mostly highway miles, Must see, Never seen snow, Non-smoker, One owner, Title in hand, Very clean interior, Well maintained VIN #1B3JZ65Z08V200669 Serious enquirers only. 5,200 miles $59,000

2008 Venom Red convertible 29k miles dealer $55k No clue if its salvage or not

F

FrgMstr

Venom Red cars are many times cheaper, at least that is what I found when looking last year. So those cars' prices are more of an exception to the rule.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a comment by that red one I was speaking of on the forums.

Well I went through the sale of a Viper with High mileage.

I started in Aug with a reasonable 59K for the Viper with 24K miles. I got no response.

I dropped it to 56K and got no response.

I posted it on FleBay a few times at 56 and 54 and the highest bids were in the 47-48 range.

I reposted the Viper here at $52K and finally had some interest.

I am reporting today that the car sold yesterday, just under $50K. My wifes new Bimmer shows up for Xmas, and I really needed to unload the Viper.

I would say good luck on a sale now in the winter and at that mileage I wouldn't expect anything better than the upper 40's.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom red seems to be the consistent denominator which is a shame cause it's a nice color.
But a higher mileage car in venom red looks like a double whammy of bad.
I doubt he would have had to sell so cheap if it was virtually any other color.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont think the Gen 4 prices will drop now after seeing the many disappointing reviews on the new Viper and the supposed pricing plus dealer mark ups at first.

Blue Blurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO the only notable performance differences between the gen4 and the gen5 are as follows (in order of significance)
1. 3:55 rear
2. better tires
3. 40 more HP
4. 100 lbs lighter

For about $5000 or so our gen4's can be updated. Gen4's advantage is less potential problems down the road due to glitches in new technologies. Bottom line, fret not and enjoy all your current Vipers!

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom red seems to be the consistent denominator which is a shame cause it's a nice color.
But a higher mileage car in venom red looks like a double whammy of bad.
I doubt he would have had to sell so cheap if it was virtually any other color.

Actully Milkmans car was a very nice Viper Red coupe with black/red interior. Milkmans selling for under $50k was just ridiculous!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't say they were basket cases by any means. They were just used, not garage queens. Neither of them looked like they would fall apart. And all 3 had clean titles AFAIK

I should have saved pics of them. I wouldnt be embarrassed to drive any of them. But I guess I usually take apart every "keeper" I buy and detail the hell out of it before I put it into regular use so I know what a little elbow grease can do.

As far as increasing MSRP holding the price of older models, I totally see where that is coming from. Example I really enjoy home theater. Maybe some of you have heard of B&W, Bowers & Wilkins. I have a pair of Nautilus 802 speakers which retailed for $8000 back in 1999/2000ish. In 2004 or so they were worth around $4000 used. Well as the new models came out, 802D and 802DI, the MSRP increased with each one. Because of this, my N802s that are 13 years old are worth $4000-5000 depending on condition because the cost of admission has increased on the new models to nearly $16,000.

08s in the 50s can and do happen, all you have to do is keep an eye out and accept the car may have 20k or more miles on it. Doesn't mean they are basket cases or anything. I wish I remember what that red viper went for, I think it ended up selling for 50k? There was a thread on here about it, I don't recall it had to of been 5-6 months ago, maybe more.

Anyways I am all for discussion as long as people don't start insulting others to try and make a point. (not directed at you, just making a statement)

Is 50k the average retail of a gen 4? No, but to say they cant be had for that price is obviously incorrect.

Looking on ebay I see 3 08s that have sold.

blue 08 coupe with salvage title 14k miles for $51great price, Solid price but I would probably pass on a salvage
orange 1 owner clean title vert with 8k miles for $57 smoking price for a sharp 1 owner car. Looks like its being flipped for $66k on autotrader by a dealer.
venom red 3 owner clean coupe 11k miles for $57 great price on a clean coupe

ebay non completed ads

venom red 1 owner 19k mile 08 coupe (non garage queen) @ $55 no reserve, 0 bids and 5 hrs left
venom red 3 owner 6k mile convert BIN $53,900 salvage title. Clean looking, sounds like it was done right and it was a bumper, wheel, tire, some suspension, id prolly pass though
black 08 ACR with 2k on it for BIN of 79

Auto trader:

2008 Dodge Viper with very low mileage. This is an excellent buy for someone serious about owning a Dodge Viper. All scheduled maintenance, All records, Always garaged, Custom wheels, Factory GPS system, Looks & drives great, Mostly highway miles, Must see, Never seen snow, Non-smoker, One owner, Title in hand, Very clean interior, Well maintained VIN #1B3JZ65Z08V200669 Serious enquirers only. 5,200 miles $59,000

2008 Venom Red convertible 29k miles dealer $55k No clue if its salvage or not

There is no such thing as a guaranteed clear title from CarFax or any of those services. If a Viper gets totaled and the owner has his own body shop repair it without using insurance, thats one way to get around the Carfax deal. Worse is people that buy salvaged vehicles, fix them and use the system (or loopholes in the system) to get the car re-titled in another state giving the car a clear title even though it was a basket case months earlier.

Whenever buying a used car like a Viper, it is very important to have a very thorough inspection done to the car by a expert. Unless you personally know the history of the car, assume that it has a "story" if priced way below the market. Buyer beware.

Cheers,
George

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly! You get what you pay for. I would never own either of those cars you mentioned. I have an 01 Sapphire ACR that is better shape than those.

Here's what I've observed (this is anecdotal): $65K for 08 (non-ACR), $75K for 09 (non-ACR); and $85K for 10 (non-ACR). Rule of thumb on pricing for ACRs: 08/09/10 is 75K/85K/?

Waddya think of that ****** extraction!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I happen to love the Venom Red color! Maybe bad for the seller, but good for the buyer (me?) in couple years. I figure in two more years, the 08s will be 6 years old. I like drivers, not show queens, and if I found an 08 with 30,000 (that's 5000 a year, normal), well maintained, and good history, I might bite. Espcially if Venom Red or black.

Of course, it would depend what could get for my "high mileage" 03 (which will have 34,000 by then). Of course, that's a whole separate thread!!

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since when did buying a car, that is hardly driven that much during the year, where 15,000 miles is considered "high mileage", make economic sense?

This is a TOY for many people, not primary mode of transportation. I could either pay $50k cash for a Gen 4 in a year or $50k for a Gen 5 and finance the rest.

I don't know your finances nor do I care. Your original statement was that you were waiting for Gen 4's to come down into the 50's, implying that price was an issue. Now that you've seen the Gen V you are going to buy a car at twice the price. That's great if you can do it. MOST people who are shopping for $50K cars aren't in the market at the same time for a $100K car. Clearly you must be different.

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking back at some predictions of things to come! Some accurate, some not. LOL ViperJon wins the accurate category IMHO!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 Gen4's have sold on ebay since 8/29 A 2009 VOIx car with 4k miles for less than $73k BO accepted and an 09 bright blue center band ACR with 19k miles for $65k no reserve. 40 no sale completed listings.

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2 Gen4's have sold on ebay since 8/29 A 2009 VOIx car with 4k miles for less than $73k BO accepted and an 09 bright blue center band ACR with 19k miles for $65k no reserve. 40 no sale completed listings.
09 seems about right, I would venture to say even with 19K miles, if the ACR had no issues he left money on the table. EBay will almost always yield some of the lowest examples of vehicle prices (auction format, out of state buyers and sellers, lots of Risk)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang