GEN I prices

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen some GEN I prices on this board that are a little low. I think there is two in the classifieds one for 25k and one for 27k. Now even though I have never seen these cars (don't know first hand the condition) they seem a little low priced. The owners say there in good condition and they come with lots of extras like hard tops, etc.

My understanding is that a good GEN I will go for around 35k. Am I wrong? Also my thoughts are that GEN I will stay the same in price or even go up in the next 5-10 years. What do you think?

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you notice if one of those low priced cars had high mileage or was previously wrecked? That could knock some dollars off the value.

IMHO.....Gen I cars will level off (if not already) then increase in value over the next few years. If not because of the performance, then because of the fact that the cars are no longer made and there are fewer on the road as the years go by due to accidents.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ultra clean GEN1's fetch 35K but with GTS's and GEN 2 RT/10's being low to mid 40's why go gen 1?

You can get really decent gen 1 cars for 30K, and those are great buys IMHO

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Craig on this one. Low mileage clean 35k. Clean well kept driven and sorted out cars 30k. Add money for hard top, some for upgrades....or hold back these items and sell seperately.

A heck of a car for the money and the reason why I would not consider cashing out. I'd park it and store it before I would sell it.

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get really decent gen 1 cars for 30K, and those are great buys IMHO

Thats what I did......and I can see myself getting more than I paid for it with a minimal investment of a little bit of elbow grease and a few dollars in parts.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be buried in my Gen1! I put a lot of time and effort into keeping mine spotless, not for resale value but just because people are amazed when they see my car and cannot believe it is a 94. Gen1 is the way to go. :D

Brian 95 RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look in the classifieds here or autotrader.com, 94's and 95's are all in the high 30's and low 40's. 40's is definitely no way. High 30's, yes if it's a low mileage car and exactly what you're looking for. But here in the Midwest, sports car prices fluctuate hugely with the seasons. A low 30's Gen1 now will be worth high 30's early summer after the first warm spell!

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup...many I see out there...93-94 with mileage in the low to mid 20's...go for about $30-$32K...sometimes lower, but, this seems to be what I'm seeing as avg. going prices.

cayenne

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, that's not entirely fair. A number of those higher numbers (I just browsed them) have some extensive mods. The first couple I saw on the link had superchargers...etc.

I keep a pretty close eye on Autotrader. I do limit the searches for more in what my range will be when I can get one. I search for vipers '92-'95 between $10K and $35K.

I see a LOT of '93 -'94s going from $30K-$33K. This is for Gen I's that are pretty close to stock, about 25K miles or in that ball park...many times with hard tops and side windows included.

I look at this on a pretty regular basis, and these cars seem to sell in a reasonable amount of time. Those asking upper $30K's and higher...don't seem to sell as well...they just hang on the list.

But, this may not just be a Viper thing. I've noticed lately, that many, older performace cars are taking a hit on resale price. Maybe its the gas price thing, insurance..etc.

But, even at $30+K...for an 11 year old car or so...that's still holding value pretty well!!

:)

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is probably one of the best deals on a sports car out there though. We’re else can you get a car that is hand built, will do 12s out of the box, handles good, looks that will stop traffic, etc.? All this for under 35K.I love my GEN I!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am watching (3) wrecked gen 1's thru CoPart. One is a flood car, auction date has not even been established and prelimb bidding is already 20K (car had 4k miles) The other 2 are wrecked pretty good and are in high teens. I think the prices are still in the 30's for a gen1 They guys that are selling for less must need the cash quick because the cars are worth more than that.

Brian 95 RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my fully stock '95 with 20,000 miles last May for $36,500 - I thought it was a pretty good deal. I was offered $42,000 for it in mid-June. For those of you not in the rural Midwest, when the first big warm spell hits, sports car and convertible prices go through the roof! Most people around here don't like to travel far to buy vehicles, so the markets are very limited. By mid-summer, it's literally impossible to find any convertible for sale, which means high $$$.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
93-94's going for low $30's is less than 50% depreciation over an 11 year period. That's very good by any car standard, limited production or not. These cars will be hitting a point soon (if not already there) where the parts alone will be worth the purchase price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96